Quartz plate?

ravenest

I am going to a gem and mineral auction next weekend (at Kempsie Showground, in case any 'New South Welshpeople' are reading) and on the list are a few 'quartz plates'.

Is this a plate (like a dinner plate) made of quartz or is it a geological term for a type of structure of quartz?

I once saw a neolithic 'chieftan's glass' carved out of a solid block of rock crystal ...I wanted it! I'm hoping this is something similar.

[I met the guys putting this auction on 2 weekends back at the market, they have a v.interesting stall. I ordered and got delivery of a largish quantity of 'Topaz sand'. Its very heavy and has amazing light glittering qualities to it.
Apparently this sand is a product from Gracian (sic?), some type of mineral deposit that was removed to get at the copper underneath.

At the remains of the abandond mining site, I was told, it appears that it was removed by a process of washing, vibrating and heating (to give it a magnetic quality) then removed with magnets. Apparently it was then to be sold to someone in USA as part of the formula for making heat resistant space shuttle tiles ??? -

Does any one know of anything about Topaz sand or Gracian,

ravenest

Hello ooo ... anybody there?

floracove

Hi Ravensnest,
I've only ever read about "purple plates" in Linda Goodman's astrology books.
From what I gather those she spoke of were made of amethyst. I think and it has been a very long time since I've read them.
In her book it has something to do with healing, she also talked about red plates and cups and I want to say she also mentioned blue plates, but I'm not gonna swear to it.

Other than that, i have no idea, but I do hope someone else may come along and answer your question.

MCsea

I know about gossan - it is the as per WIKI -Gossan is intensely oxidized, weathered or decomposed rock, usually the upper and exposed part of an ore deposit or mineral vein. In the classic gossan or iron cap all that remains is iron oxides and quartz often in the form of boxworks, quartz lined cavities retaining the shape of the dissolved ore minerals. In other cases quartz and iron oxides, limonite, goethite, and jarosite, exist as pseudomorphs replacing the pyrite and primary ore minerals. Frequently gossan appears as a red stain against the background rock and soil due to the abundance of oxidized iron and the gossan may be a topographic positive area due to the abundance of erosion resistant quartz and iron oxides.

I worked in an area where the Gossan was removed held quite alot of gold...

but Im not sure if its the same as your Gracian

When we went to Mt Surprise in QLD we also bought a bucket of 'wash' it had sand and gravel and gem stone quality rough topaz in it.. we spent hours sorting it out - good fun :)

ravenest

Thanks guys ... looks like I wont be eating my dinner off it ;)

Little Hare

floracove said:
Hi Ravensnest,
I've only ever read about "purple plates" in Linda Goodman's astrology books.
From what I gather those she spoke of were made of amethyst. I think and it has been a very long time since I've read them.
In her book it has something to do with healing, she also talked about red plates and cups and I want to say she also mentioned blue plates, but I'm not gonna swear to it.

In regards to the purple plates mentioned in Linda's books i'm not sure there amethyst... the following site sells them:
http://www.purpleplates.com/magic_PP.html and talks more about them... I have'nt read it yet as ive been on the net for about three hours and my eyeballs feel like there going to bleed :laugh:

ravenest

I got one of the quartz plates and a small amethyst one, but the woman next to me outbid me on the one I wanted, a quartz plate covered with well formed points but in a stange array, and all 'lightly dusted 'with a crimson maroon color ...Oooooooo! (But she had a crystal shop and could afford to bid high)