Manchgester United and the Munich air crash

Minderwiz

Manchester United and the Munich air crash

On Thursday, 6th February 1958 the Manchester United football team were returning from a European Cup match in Belgrade. This was a young but brilliant team, seen as having a future as one of the best, if not the best football team in Europe. Their plane made a refuelling stop in Munich and in really bad weather conditions, the plane attempted to take off on its final leg to England. The plane never made it, it failed to get lift, hit a fuel truck and in the ensuing crash the rear of the plane exploded. Seven key players were killed, another, the great Duncan Edwards, survived for 14 days before succumbing to his injuries. Others were severely injured and never player again.

In memory of that dreadful day, I have cast a chart for the event. For those who want to reproduce the chart it is cast for 15:04 on 6th February 1958 at Munich, Germany. This is the time which is universally recognised as the time of the crash.

You can see the chart at:

http://www.minderwiz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Astrology/munich_plane_crash.htm

The chart has a Cancer Ascendant at 22 degrees 59 minutes. The Ascendant is exactly on the Arabian part of Danger and Peril. The Ascendant ruler, the Moon, is in the third House of short journeys – the team were on the last leg of their round trip to Belgrade. The Moon squares Saturn, Lord of the eighth House of Death. Such an aspect between Lords 1 and 8 bodes badly for the flight.

Manchester United are signified by Mars, ruler of the 5th House of sports and sporting activities. The nickname of the club is the Red Devils – which makes Mars an incredibly apt significator. We find Mars in Capricorn in the sixth House. Mars has good essential dignity, representing the strength of the club but the sixth is the house of ill health and threats to health. Worse still Saturn, Lord of the eighth House of Death, lies on the cusp of the sixth being 51 minutes away from the cusp but just outside the house. Traditionally this gives Saturn control over the house and the planets in it.

The sixth House is ruled by Jupiter. A first sight this might appear benefic but the role of Jupiter here is to signify the type of ‘ailment’ that befell the team. Jupiter is the planet of expansion and growth. I have seen it signifying cancer in the charts of cancer sufferers and here the expansion is a rapid expansion – an explosion. For the modern Astrologer, Mars is trine Pluto to the degree. Trines might conventionally be taken as ‘good’ but in fact the simply show an easy flow of energy – in this case the ease with which the plane exploded (Pluto is often seen as having an ‘explosive’ effect).

Jupiter not only rules the sixth but also rules the Arabian part of Death. it is applying to a conjunction with Neptune and will then go on to conjunct the North Node. This crash will destroy the hopes and dreams of the team and fans and also set back the future development of the club. Any planet, even Jupiter, can play the role of a malefic in certain circumstances.

Saturn rules Fortuna, given its role as Lord 8 this is yet another testimony of the danger that the underlies the chart.

Perhaps we could use this thread as a memorial of that day, so please express your feelings, even if they are not entirely related to the Astrology of the event.

Minderwiz

I'll try and upload the chart to the web but at the moment I'm changing computers and it might take me a while to set up the new one.

Starling

I can't say anything about this. Don't know enough.

But there was a similar situation with an American Skating Team in the late 50s or early 60s. They were going from the Olympics to an international competition when the plane went down.

A few years later I lived on the same block as the parents of a pair team that SHOULD have been on the plane, but weren't because they had come in 4th that year in the American National competition and had retired because coming in 4th meant they were not going to the Olympics. They found out about the plane crash when their parents began to get condolence phone calls (in the middle of the night) from people in American skating who had taken it for granted that the two of them were on the plane. They were actually upstairs in their attic bedrooms fast asleep when the plane went down.

I got to know the young woman pretty well, although I knew her younger sister better since she was still living at home. I knew the young man, but not as well.

It might be interesting to compare the two charts since you are interested in this kind of thing. I'd expect them to have a lot in common since both a plane and an entire sports team was involved. I'd also wonder if they happened in the same year.