Help me choose a book please

Pao

well the websites just arent working for me. Its too much all over the place, I think I need an easier breakdown so I will get a book. I know SMV recommended one but I cant remember the name. :bugeyed: Could you please tell me from this list which one is the best in terms of explaining astrology to a beginner, like depth of imformation, things covered, easy or hard to understand, etc. which one would be better to buy first to have a good understanding to start with.

1. The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need, CD-rom Edition by Joanna Martine Woolfolk

2. Astrology for Dummies

3. The Complete Book of Astrology by Ada Aubin & June Rifkin

These are the ones I foud with highest ratings on amazon. of course only one person reviewed the last one. If you have another suggestion I would appreciate it. :)

GRACIAS!!!! :D

Sophie

I'm going to suggest another one to you - which is the one I've been learning with over the past few months. It's fantastic, a really good workbook, that starts right at the basics and becomes progressively more complex, through a series of exercises. It's a pretty thorough workbook that teaches you to read your natal charts - and eventually, any chart.

* Astrology for Yourself, Demetra George and Douglas Bloch. It also has high ratings on Amazon, but it's my personal recommendation. It's also very fun to use, which is always a bonus :)

avalonian

I would agree with Fudugazi, Astrology for Yourself is brillliant. I think it may have recently been republished. It's really easy to understand, I have had a lot of "Oh, now that makes sense" moments, and I've nowhere near finished it yet.

Starling

Fudugazi said:
I'm going to suggest another one to you - which is the one I've been learning with over the past few months. It's fantastic, a really good workbook, that starts right at the basics and becomes progressively more complex, through a series of exercises. It's a pretty thorough workbook that teaches you to read your natal charts - and eventually, any chart.

* Astrology for Yourself, Demetra George and Douglas Bloch. It also has high ratings on Amazon, but it's my personal recommendation. It's also very fun to use, which is always a bonus :)

Unfortunately although they allow you a good look at the Table of Contents and the beginning of the book, they don't allow Surprise Me, so there is no way to actually see what kinds of exercises are in the book. Which is why I didn't buy it the last time I was shopping.

I am, however, very interested in the kinds of exercises that might help me work out, and understand, more astrology. Could someone share one of the early exercises in the book?

Pao

reading the description though it says that it helps with your chart. is that the only thing it talks about? Amazon stinks at showing you the inside of the book! :(

Sophie

Pao - it teaches you the basics of astrology, which is how to interpret a natal chart. If you read Dadsnooks' posts, you'll see he goes on and on about practicing reading charts in order to learn astrology. To start with your own chart makes sense, but the book allows you to read any chart, because it teaches you the basics of interpretation, and understanding all the important concepts of astrology - everything from aspects to elements, from planets to angles, from houses to temperaments, from archetypes to relationships between them, from planets in signs to linking your own life (or someone else's) to what your natal chart says. The reason why it's a good idea to start with your own chart and those of people you know well is that you can compare what you know to your interpretation of a chart, and see where you are on track or off. What, for instance, does "Moon in Capricorn in the 8th House, square Venus in Libra in the 5th House" actually mean? It won't tell you that - it will teach you how to figure it out for yourself!

It's a beginner's learner manual, and it's work/exercise-based. If you want more, there will be more advanced books, but you mentioned you wanted a book to start you on astrology. That one is the best I've found.

Starling - my copy is in my study, which is outside the house - I can get it in the morning and show you a few sample exercises. As I said, it starts right at the beginning, and progressively becomes more complex.

Pao

oOooooOOoOoOoOoo!!! ok I got it! thank you then I will look into getting that one!

gorgeousbutterfly

the first one. the only astrology book you'll ever need is a nice beginners book. i'd stay away from the dummies book. it has not been taken well by some experts i know on another forum.

marigold's

I second Lexie! Parker's is always within arms reach (I put it away only to pull it back out again : ) ) But their section on working up a chart's a bit more convoluted (for me, at least) than the instructions in the beginning of The American Atlas.