PDA

View Full Version : wedding rings other than diamond

morticia monroe
05-02-2008, 13:10
My wonderful man and I have been together for almost 7 years. We have spoken of marriage on more than one occasion but I always seemed to balk. The truth be told, I've been married twice before and the last one really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. He has never married.

But he has proven himself to be a wonderful partner who is more than worthy of my love, respect, and trust, and we'll be marrying sometime this year.

When he asked me to show him what I'd like in a ring, I found myself looking at diamonds yet again and they just seem to all look the same. I began looking elsewhere and found a website called thenaturalsapphirecompany.com, and they have the most beautiful sapphire solitaires.....

I am wondering if any of you chose stones other than diamond for your wedding sets, and are you happy with the choice?

floracove
05-02-2008, 13:24
Hi Mortica, I don't have one, but I think emerald would be a nice choice for a wedding ring gemstone.

I wrote some articles here. (http://www.jewelryconsumerguide.com/buyer/bridal_tips.php)

(I'm not advertising for them, they never paid me for my work, but there's some good info in these articles I wrote.)

just a bit about rings.
Adding the colors to your bridal jewelry from your bridal theme colors is always a nice touch, since there are gemstones of every color of the rainbow, choosing a complimentary gemstone to enhance your bridal jewelry is always an exhilarating pleasure. An engagement ring containing your birthstone is considered to bring good luck to the bridal couple. Diamonds and pearls remain popular all through the years and they come in their own array of colors and are a delight to wear long after the day of your wedding. There are so many styles from which to choose your bridal jewelry, while creating an elegant look and feel to your bridal accessories.

I think the idea of birthstones is precious!

HearthCricket
05-02-2008, 13:38
I have a diamond ring because it is what I love, but remember, diamonds only came into vogue during the 20th century. Plain gold, sapphire, ruby, garnet, were all common for engagement/wedding rings. The two most important things to think of is what you like (not necessarily following the fad) and the hardness of the stone so it lasts. Diamonds are strong. Sapphires and rubies are next in line. You can get quite a variety of colour in sapphires, too, including natural ones. Emeralds are lovely, but they contain a lot of fractures, so be careful. Same with topaz. Pearls and opals are lovely, but very fragile. Shop around and see what holds up and get a strong setting for the stone, itself. And enjoy it! :)

6 Haunted Days
05-02-2008, 13:41
Oh yes.....I've always had a deep love for blue sapphires. I have a 1 and 1/2 carat gorgeous middle/deep blue sapphire with 2 small asscher cut white diamonds on the side. The band is engraved platinum. The whole piece I put together/designed myself...I love antique/vintage rings!!

I'm sure you know, but use of the diamond as a wedding ring is fairly recent....yellow gold as well.

That's why so many vintaege rings you see are different type stones in white gold/platinum. Princess Diana's ring was a gorgeous huge sapphire surrounded by diamonds, I've included a picture of it :)

So whatever stone/stones you choose, go with it.....it's an ancient tradition.

And congratulations!! :D

Michelle
05-02-2008, 13:49
I have a wide gold band in between two emerald and diamond anniversary bands. Diamond is my birthstone and emerald is my husband's.

I say choose whatever you are drawn to :). Congratulations !!

Sonic
05-02-2008, 13:57
:bugeyed: When my better half calls me in the morning..and wants to know WHY there is a mount, and a separate stone link in his email VERY soon..I'm sending him straight to your email address! LOL

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :heart:

willowfox
05-02-2008, 16:35
White diamonds always seem very bland,but if you like diamonds then go for a coloured.

Sapphires are great but I recommend the light blue, cornflower blue not that awful dark blue. Green sapphires are not so nice, neither is the yellow but a good pink is lovely and so is a purple.

Emeralds are expensive for the lovely pale green types without loads of flaws.

Aulruna
05-02-2008, 18:33
Dear Morticia,

your story is very similar to mine. My dearest proposed on our 7th anniversary, and I had always been reluctant because of my previous marriage. While my ex and I are still on quite good terms, some of the faith and enthusiasm for the institution had gone out of me, and I found I was doing just as good without it.

It is however his greatest wish, and I know what we have is different from everything I've ever had before, and I'm now very happy with my decision to say yes.

My engagement ring has a lovely coloured diamond, it is amber and has a wonderful light. Fancy diamonds can be absolute beauties (I'm not a fan of the white ones myself).

My best friend has a triangular black star sapphire in her wedding ring and this is also stunning, though it makes the form of the ring rather unconventional, i.e. it doesn't look like a wedding band.

We are also looking for wedding rings at the moment, and I personally favour bi-coloured celtic knot bands at the moment, with no stones at all.

Congrats honey, you will be so happy :D

BodhiSeed
05-02-2008, 21:51
(((MM))) - Congratulations!
I do not have a stone at all; I have wear a silver band and a gold band. The gold band reminds me of my commitment to my husband and the silver band reminds me of my commitment to myself.

Best wishes!
Bodhran

phoenixblu
05-02-2008, 22:13
my friend wears a uncut sapphire and my mother wears and emerald....

i think its a really unique choice :)

Alta
05-02-2008, 22:56
My sister's engagement ring is emerald and she has always loved it. I think it is gorgeous!

franniee
05-02-2008, 23:23
morticia -

Do whatever it is you want to do! Always! :D

Sapphire is my birthstone and I love the stone...i love all colored stones... I have a diamond engagement ring but I love all stones.

Just remember emerald's are softer and you need to be a bit more careful with them. Sapphires are good. I have earrings that are yellow and pink sapphires - gorgeous. I also think colored diamonds are lovely!!

CongratsXOXOXO
f

Alta
05-02-2008, 23:37
HearthCricket makes good points: that diamonds are a relatively recent innovation and not a tradition back into the mists of time, and that for everyday wear, hardness of the stone is a factor. My sister only wears hers for special occasions.

Guiding Cauldron
05-02-2008, 23:41
oh congratulations hun! To be honest my hubby picked out my ring, he knows me better than i know me- spooky relly lol Instead of one stone my band has three stones representing his love for me for now, in the future and always.

To be honest you should just have whatever makes the ring special to the two of you...there are so many options out there, or you could even custom design a ring.

BodhiSeed
05-02-2008, 23:59
oh congratulations hun! To be honest my hubby picked out my ring, he knows me better than i know me- spooky relly lol Instead of one stone my band has three stones representing his love for me for now, in the future and always.

That is so sweet!

dandelion
06-02-2008, 00:30
My partner and I have simple, silver bands, and they are quite meaningful. If you'd like something more ornate, I encourage you to find an independent/local artist to help you find something unique.

I'm afraid I have no interest in diamonds and have little knowledge of "fine" gems... but I love opals, amethysts, and other stones. Try exploring some gems (perhaps at a gem show) to see which ones "sing" to you, and that may help you find the right stone to match your setting.

Just a thought - best wishes!

-d

Waterfaery
06-02-2008, 02:06
Congratulations and many many blessings on you both!

Your engagement ring should be something that really speaks to you about your particular relationship. What stone just jumps out at you the most when you think about him or he thinks about you? And a lot of jewelers can take a ring that they already have in stock and reset it with the stone of your choice. Let it be unique to your relationship with each other and you'll love it all that much more.

My boyfriend has told me that he intends to propose when he finds the right ring for me and asked me what stone I wanted. For some reason, Amethyst jumped right in there and won't budge!

morticia monroe
06-02-2008, 05:49
Thank you for your replies everyone! I see that I am not alone in feeling that a diamond need not be the only stone for a ring, then.

Although I do think diamonds are nice, I have too many. The ex always brought diamond rings to me when he had done something wrong. I guess he was trying to ease his guilty conscience, but everytime he gave me one, I knew it was time to start doing a little digging, and the truth always came to the surface. The bigger the diamond, the more he was trying to hide. So I suppose on some level, diamonds to me are equated with pain, hurt feelings, and humiliation.

I have thought of birthstones, but my stone is an opal, and I have heard that they are not the hardiest of stones and neither are they my preference. Kevin's stone is an opal as well.

I have been attracted to sapphires as of late, and the company I mentioned sells stones that are untreated by man in any way.

And I HAVE also thought of just a plain band. I found one on a wiccan site with the words "blessed be" engraved on the outside of the ring, and I love it.

I think part of the reason that I love rings so is that I was not exactly blessed with beautiful hands. I don't have long, slender fingers, and I've worked hard in the past decades both in the workforce and as a mother. Thousands of loads of dishes, laundry, scrubbing, etc, sure does a number on them, and of course in your youth you are too sure that it will never happen to YOU that you never don a glove.
Having a beautiful ring to wear gives me the incentive to keep my nails nice, use lotion, etc. Silly, huh?

The crowned one
06-02-2008, 07:02
My wife wanted birth stones in a setting that could be increased with children. I bought big rocks for that little ring ;) :D

MCsea
06-02-2008, 19:47
Congratulations :)

My mother had a ruby I have a diamond my best friend has saphires and another friend emerald, pink diamond and the list goes on..
I know friends who have just different gold coloured patterned rings too..

I have a free website where you can find out your crystal astrology - you type your birth details in (and you can do one for your partner) and you get a list of the crystals that correspond to your natal astrology chart - those lists may come up with some interesting crystals that resonate with you and or your partner..
it may even explain why you dont like diamonds - diamond may have a difficult aspect to one of your planets (square etc) anyway
PM me if you would like the link - not sure if I can post it here

MARINA

MeeWah
06-02-2008, 23:06
Hubby blew me away both times with his choice of my two rings, chosen for their stones & design to complement my small hands. Though found at different times, their design so similar they can be worn stacked as a set with slight differences to distinquish each ring.

Both rings of oval cut amethysts with diamond chips on either sides set in gold. The first or engagement amethyst small with diamond chips set in solid gold 'waves' carved on either side of the stones. The second or wedding ring with a larger amethyst & diamond chips set in 'open' or cut gold waves. The wave design of both rings swirl around the stones in opposite directions.

The amethyst represents my birth stone (February). Their designs evocative of the water element & the ocean (love the beach & why we live where we do) & my astrological sign, Pisces. Love him all the more for his unique approach & his moving testament to me.

Regret unable to include a picture of the rings.

Edited to add: He asked me to marry him early in the morning on a Friday, the 13th of February. We got engaged the following day, on Valentine's Day.

Alta
06-02-2008, 23:22
I have a free website where you can find out your crystal astrology - you type your birth details in (and you can do one for your partner) and you get a list of the crystals that correspond to your natal astrology chart - those lists may come up with some interesting crystals that resonate with you and or your partner..
it may even explain why you dont like diamonds - diamond may have a difficult aspect to one of your planets (square etc) anyway
PM me if you would like the link - not sure if I can post it here

MARINAMarina, yes, certainly post the link. The ban on links is only for other Forums and selling your own stuff (the latter of which can be posted in Advertisements).

M

greenbeans
06-02-2008, 23:42
Congratulations, Morticia!

I am a little puzzled as I always thought the wedding ring was a plain metal band and it was the engagement ring that had a stone? Traditionally, I mean, I suppose its always up to the individual.

I love the idea of a birth-stone ring, but my birth stone is also opal. I do love opals, and have always wanted one, but as morticia said, they aren't hard-wearing. (as well as those superstitions that they are bad luck...some people say they in fact good luck, or good luck as long as it is your birthstone...well I don't believe in any of it but people always seem to bring it up.) I suppose you could have an opal engagement ring for keepsake/special occasions and a plain gold/platinum band for your wedding ring to wear everyday. Actually I like that idea for myself..now I just need to get engaged, lol.

Can someone enlighten me as to the fashion for 'promise rings' and 'anniversary rings' and 'eternity rings'? Are these just new things or is there any tradition behind them? Also, do you think men should wear a ring? None of the men in my family ever did, but its the fashion now and somehow it seems only fair!!

Edited to add: ooh, now you've got me checking out opal rings...look how pretty this one is (to my taste!) but too delicate for everyday wear:

http://www.thediamondstore.co.uk/images/productimages/10562.jpg

ana luisa
07-02-2008, 00:48
I agree with frannie. it's about your feelings and your personal taste. Have you considered blue topaz? It's a very powerful stone and simply gorgeous!

http://www.djezpics.net/ezpics/Mohamed/Fine_Sapphire_Blue_Topaz.jpg

Alta
07-02-2008, 05:03
Can someone enlighten me as to the fashion for 'promise rings' and 'anniversary rings' and 'eternity rings'? Are these just new things or is there any tradition behind them? Also, do you think men should wear a ring? None of the men in my family ever did, but its the fashion now and somehow it seems only fair!!I have been wrong so often lately that I am getting afraid to post! But here goes:

Promise rings are often engagement-like rings with teensy little diamonds, given by a couple who feel committed but not ready to get engaged.

Eternity rings are after-marriage rings, usually on anniversaries. they are either a full or half band of diamonds set in a row.

Tradition? I don't think so, more likely something dreamed up by the diamond industry.

Men wearing wedding rings has certainly been around for a while. My husband wore one and we got married in 1974, and it wasn't considered odd then (though my potential MIL did make a joke about it). Mind you, among my father's generation, I should say almost unheard-of.

Mariana
07-02-2008, 05:16
I am a little puzzled as I always thought the wedding ring was a plain metal band and it was the engagement ring that had a stone?

Also, do you think men should wear a ring? None of the men in my family ever did, but its the fashion now and somehow it seems only fair!!

Same here (continental Europe): a wedding ring is always plain gold and the same ring for husband and wife. Men have worn wedding rings for generations though, both my grandfathers have them. Once one of the spouses dies, the other wears both rings. Here engagement rings are only for women though and always have a stone in them, although many people don't do engagement rings anymore because there's no proposal and they just decide to get married after having lived together for years. (Here a proposal and engagement are the same thing).

I personally quite like the idea of a simple ring that is the same for both partners, a plain gold ring is also very practical (in doing dishes for instance), but I agree, do whatever is most 'you'...

morticia monroe
07-02-2008, 12:47
My first husband wore a gold wedding band, second husband was a heavily tattooed biker and his ring finger was bitten off by a bulldog so he tattoed a chain and lock around the (stump?) when we were married. I doubt that Kevin will wear a ring, it's not his preference and his job is rather dangerous and a ring could inhibit his work as well. It matters not to me.

Little Hare
07-02-2008, 14:02
I agree with frannie. it's about your feelings and your personal taste. Have you considered blue topaz? It's a very powerful stone and simply gorgeous!

http://www.djezpics.net/ezpics/Mohamed/Fine_Sapphire_Blue_Topaz.jpg

Holy moly that is gorgous *drool*

Congrats to you and your partner! I think you should choose what calls to you. I'm single and have never liked diamonds, which is odd since its meant to be my birthstone (i'm an aries), I much perfer bloodstone. I have three diamond rings and I never ever wear them. I think its also a very smart move to look at your lifestyle as well. My sister in law has a massive diamond ring worth big $$$ but she can't wear it to work as she's a nurse, She has a two year old and another baby on the way and is cleaning the house alot.... so she does wear it but when she does worries... and with good reason, one of the diamonds fell out recently and is going to have to be re set.

I hope you pick a ring that's beauty is right for you and fits on your hand like a glove... All the best

P_P

MCsea
07-02-2008, 19:28
Marina, yes, certainly post the link. The ban on links is only for other Forums and selling your own stuff (the latter of which can be posted in Advertisements).

M

thank you Marion :D

www.crystalastrology.com
go down to the -- Find out your Crystal towards the bottom of the page, enter your birth details and press calculate - it uses your natal astrology to find out which crystals resonate with the planets at the time of your birth..
You get a free list of crystals sabian symbols and key words that correspond to your astrology chart.

MARINA

HearthCricket
08-02-2008, 07:24
I forgot to mention that another very popular stone to have as an engagement ring, back in the 1900's was turqouise. You can still find some very pretty pieces at antique stores. :)

autumnsdaughter
08-02-2008, 07:36
If you want a ring without a diamond, that is still striking, have a look at www.gaelsong.com. They have a number of gorgeous Celtic rings.

morticia monroe
08-02-2008, 11:57
I forgot to mention that another very popular stone to have as an engagement ring, back in the 1900's was turqouise. You can still find some very pretty pieces at antique stores. :)

Wow,,I never heard of that.

I remember being a kid, my father was in the Navy, and we moved a lot. I can remember driving through the deserts many times as a child and seeing the Native American people with their tables set up on the sides of the road, selling hand-tooled jewelry. I always went for the bracelets. I have no idea whatever happened to that jewelry. Kids break, lose, and give away so many things. I wish I had it now, though. I do have a few rings given to me by my maternal grandmother, who was Blackfeet. But the bracelets were gorgeous....and gone like a feather in the wind. :( Oh well.

ravenest
08-02-2008, 12:17
I am wondering if any of you chose stones other than diamond for your wedding sets, and are you happy with the choice?

I got married some time back for very strange reasons (not your normal ones),
we had to come up with a ring, I chose, of all things, malachite in silver.
Dunno, it just does something for me, that combination.

I remember years ago (actually years and years and years and years ago ) when I was a little kid looking in the Sydney museum and saw a malachite table, this vast slab of cool green and mysterious darker green and ... all swirled and flowing and concentric ... fell in love with it.

Not a 'normal' wedding ring though (not a normal wedding - a circus really), and me myself ? Nah, no normality there either.

Briar Rose
09-02-2008, 07:05
I think everyone knows by now that selling engagement rings is what I do for a living? I love it. My favorite job.

And I don't think you need to have a diamond to call it an engagement ring.

After reading through the posts what came to my mind to suggest is perhaps your man's birth 'stone' to celebrate his love for you?

Sapphires are really pretty too. If you can find one, look at an authentic Kashmire blue sapphire. They fire up like a diamond.

Congratulations. I am happy love has found you!

phoenixblu
09-02-2008, 07:18
if you are wanting something unique and are arty (or know someone arty.)... just look for the stone online and design it... my sister and her husband did this for me as my gift for being her maid of honour.... but i love a nice aquamarine...but am VERY fussy about the ring style lol...

Vladaria
11-02-2008, 08:09
Congratulations :)
It's a shame you're so far away - I often get loose gemstones for clients rings. The gent proposes with the stone and they pick the setting together ~ it's soooo nice & personal. :)

Some very gorgeous rings were done in Aquamarine, Topaz, Garnet & Amethyst (none of which are majorly expensive stones)...

Did you want a deep colour stone or a lighter one?
Garnet, Amethysts etc look great in antique settings and the lighter topaz stones are perfect for a modern twist...

Vlad x

Lewen
20-02-2008, 02:08
Congratulations!

I kind of understand what you mean, I'm divorced twice and engaged to the Bradness. I didn't want the traditional diamond engagement ring either, so chose a garnet ring. The ring I have is this: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Lewen14/EngagementRing.jpg

It works for me and is my birthstone (for January).

As for wedding bands, we aren't sure...we have looked at many, but want to find something that works for both of us. We are looking at some celtic bands and one we both like has ogham on it for "love forever".

I know that whatever you choose, it will have meaning to you and be special. Happy hunting and let us know and see what you get! It is a special time (no matter how many trips one has been down the aisle, at least for me! :D)

Blessings and hugs ((((Morticia Monroe))))

:)

HearthCricket
20-02-2008, 02:49
That is gorgeous, Lewen! I love garnets and that ring has a lovely style to it!

memries
20-02-2008, 04:54
It is a classic exquisite ring Lewen. You must be very happy wearing it.

morticia monroe
21-02-2008, 00:16
Beautiful ring, Lewen! I love the antique look of the style.
Some stones tend to call to me more than others, and garnet is one of them.

missycab
21-02-2008, 01:25
That's a beautiful ring Lewen!!

Here in my country, we don't use engagement rings, just the one you exchange in the ceremony. And although I'm not even engaged (nor in a relationship), I've always wanted a silver or platinum wedding ring. The problem with silver is that I tend to "deform" the ring, and I don't know if that happens with platinum. I don't like gold very much... too yellow for me.

As for stones, precious stones that is, I like zapphire and emerald. Still, I prefer semi-precious stones, like lapis.

Lewen
23-02-2008, 04:56
Beautiful ring, Lewen! I love the antique look of the style.
Some stones tend to call to me more than others, and garnet is one of them.

Thank you and all the others who commented on my ring.

Even if Garnet weren't my birthstone, I think it still would have called out to me. Like it's been mentioned before, in older times, Garnet was popular as an engagement ring.

So, has anything called or spoken to you yet? So many stones, so many styles, so many things to choose from! :)

morticia monroe
23-02-2008, 07:02
I do think I've found my ring. I'm very fond of this one....

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Jewelry/Rings/Jewelry=J1066

Alta
23-02-2008, 07:59
Silvery platinum and yummy blue.... what a luscious combination.

MCsea
23-02-2008, 09:36
Wow!!

Stunning Energy

missycab
23-02-2008, 09:37
What a beautiful ring!!! Silver and blue... one of my favourite color combinations!! Good choice!!! :thumbsup:

Lewen
23-02-2008, 09:44
Wow! It's absolutely beautiful! Very very nice! :)

HearthCricket
23-02-2008, 09:48
Lovely! What a beautiful colour sapphire!

morticia monroe
23-02-2008, 10:11
Oh thanks, everyone! I do really love it, for so many reasons...the color is so deep and beautiful. And I'm just a blue-jean girl...it will fit just fine with my daily wardrobe (501's and boots), and I love the silver color. My hair is so dark and my skin so fair that gold makes me look ill. :) It really does. And for the size of the stone ( 1.69 carats), a diamond would probably be twice as expensive. I think it will be just perfect with a very simple thin platinum wedding band.

Thank you so much for all your advice and opinions. I took it all into consideration, and many of you brought up points that I hadn't even considered.

He wants to fly to Vegas and be married by Elvis...hey, whatever makes the man happy, right?