ask a question; get your reflection...

angelegg

afrosaxon

I was reading a fiction novel and this line resonated with me: "Be careful what you pray for, because deity will give you exactly what you asked for, not what you meant to ask for."

What I'm trying to say is that the cards may be picking up on an unconscious need to be addressed, and not the actual, spoken question that is probably masking the unconscious.

Am I even making sense? LOL

T.

YDM42

I believe it happens because relationships are mirrors. Even when we date, or get involved with people, we are connecting with aspects of ourselves that may not exist in the other person. Projections so to speak. There are a lot of books out there on that subject matter. "Relationships as mirrors". I think people come into our lives to help us see ourselves as we truly are and gives us an opportunity to grow beyond our current limitations (self imposed) - and Tarot sometimes is a great tool for personal growth. A lot of times it will tell you - not what you ask, but what you need to know concerning a situation.

Sulis

I don't tend to do 3rd party readings as usually (not always) I think it's best for the querant to focus on themselves and that's what the cards naturally do... They give you the answer you need.

It's far more useful to have an empowering answer about yourself that you can actually use rather than an answer about someone else that is essentially useless... You can only change and affect yourself after all.

lilangel09

I always thought it was how you think X feels about eating cheese. If you do a "how you think (3rd party's name) feels about eating cheese" the sitter says "oh yes, that sounds like them! (to the sitter)" (since it matches his/her perception of X)... kind of like a perspective thing.

Then again, there are times when the Tarot decides to be "funny" and not give you the answer to the question you were looking for...

I also like what YMD said about projection and mirrors, which now gives me an additional thing to think about when looking at the 2 of Cups in the Universal Fantasy :D.

starrystarrynight

Many years ago, I read that tarot will answer what is "dearest to your heart", regardless of the question actually spoken. In other words, I took it to mean that the Universe will tell you what you need to know about the situation you are asking about, even if you don't realize it at the moment.

[So, using your example, maybe you are beginning to develop an allergy to cheese right now! :D (J/K)]