distant readers

are you more comfortable...

• reading "live," in front of a sitter?

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • reading online, or not in person with the sitter?

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • find both equally comfortable

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • find both equally uncomfortable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • never really thought about it before!

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

angelegg

Grizabella

I prefer reading in person, but I'm comfortable with reading online now, too.

I don't think you're right that people here do "cold readings" on their sitters in person. Everyone I've met on AT so far is opposed to cold reading.

I think a lot of people new to reading prefer doing it online because they're not put on the spot by having a scenario of "you, me and the cards" with nothing else to fall back on. In my opinion, they should discipline themselves to doing as many in-person readings as online readings for awhile just to gain their "sea legs", but you know what they say about opinions.

phoenixblu

i like reading online because i can take longer... i feel really under pressure when it comes to reading inperson and I start to panic... lol...

Alta

I like reading both ways (in person and over the internet). I find them psychologically to be rather different experiences.

celticnoodle

I prefer to read online for someone and either emailing to them, or calling them on the phone afterwards and reading it to them--or mailing it to them via the snail mail method.

When I first began to read cards, I read for my friends & family both in person and via the net/or phone. Then I moved away, and so all had to deal with long distance readings-except when I was visiting them. I can still read either way for them.

However--when it comes to reading for people I don't know, I freeze in person! I get nervous and begin to panic--though I know I don't show it in front of them. It affects my readings too. I can't give them the best reading in person--I do much better 'behind the screens' so to speak.

I continue to read for folks in person--but rarely, as my clientelle base is not rather large right now, and I'm not ready to increase it till I combat this fear of mine. I have increased my internet reading though, even with new clients, who are thrilled to think I am willing to read for them, via the internet, allowing them to not have to take off work, lie to their s.o., or whatever. :laugh: so, it works both ways. I've met most of my 'new clientelle' at my hairdressers, when I began to read for her & the others who work there-via behind the screens, :laugh: Each time I go for a haircut, I almost always have a reading in an envelope to deliver and get more requests on the way out! :laugh:

I do a MUCH better job reading from the internet. My daughter, and other family members are trying to convince me to set up a website for this, but right now, I'm not ready for that either. One day--soon, I hope.

But, yeah, I MUCH prefer to read via the net/phone/snail mail. :)

lilangel09

In my limited live reading experience (aka. only for friends), I find that some of them are pretty patient and some of them want an answer soon. It depends on the type of person and why they want a reading. I've still been nervous when they were patient though (since there are a bunch of people in the background minding their own business and there's this one person staring at the spread expecting me to say something). I find that the less tolerable they are/quicker they want it, the less you will want to rely on outside sources. This is all theory/speculation though.

Right now, I'm more comfortable reading online since things seem to click better with the silence and I can take my time. When I do rush readings, they do not really carry the depth that I was aiming for. Also, I can't see the person so I don't know anything about them... gender, attire, etc. But maybe when I start reading for strangers my preferences will change. I want to try both.

Also, I think that cold reading isn't just about reading body language, it's also about the intent. If your intent is to con people, then you're a cold reader. If your intent is to say...empower, and you're actually reading the cards, you're not a cold reader.

Reading a little body language isn't bad (we do it everyday...unconsciously), unless you're just there for the greed.

phoenixblu

celticnoodle said:
I prefer to read online for someone and either emailing to them, or calling them on the phone afterwards and reading it to them--or mailing it to them via the snail mail method.

When I first began to read cards, I read for my friends & family both in person and via the net/or phone. Then I moved away, and so all had to deal with long distance readings-except when I was visiting them. I can still read either way for them.

However--when it comes to reading for people I don't know, I freeze in person! I get nervous and begin to panic--though I know I don't show it in front of them. It affects my readings too. I can't give them the best reading in person--I do much better 'behind the screens' so to speak.

I continue to read for folks in person--but rarely, as my clientelle base is not rather large right now, and I'm not ready to increase it till I combat this fear of mine. I have increased my internet reading though, even with new clients, who are thrilled to think I am willing to read for them, via the internet, allowing them to not have to take off work, lie to their s.o., or whatever. :laugh: so, it works both ways. I've met most of my 'new clientelle' at my hairdressers, when I began to read for her & the others who work there-via behind the screens, :laugh: Each time I go for a haircut, I almost always have a reading in an envelope to deliver and get more requests on the way out! :laugh:

I do a MUCH better job reading from the internet. My daughter, and other family members are trying to convince me to set up a website for this, but right now, I'm not ready for that either. One day--soon, I hope.

But, yeah, I MUCH prefer to read via the net/phone/snail mail. :)

i totally agree.... in person i panic... and draw a blank when i look at the cards.... i think if its online etc you have time to read think and match it all up... its less pressure... i feel ur pain! :)

Baroli

I read comfortably both ways, I prefer face to face. I like the interaction with people. You get interaction with online readings too, just different. But it is just going out there, meeting different people, being friendly. I just found myself "whispering" to the monitor, so,.........I think its time (no not for medication:D) to go back out and read some more.

Baroli *still whispering to the puter monitor* 'my precioussssssssss.'