uk fraudulent mediums act update

elvenstar

Sorry if this has been posted before, of interest to uk-based people:
http://druidnetwork.org/en/civilliberties/consumerprotection

It doesn't look bad, but perhaps professionals especially need to be careful with wording etc. Is it kind of worrying though in that it could potentially be manipulated as recently seen in the us?

raeanne

Hi all,
Well, the devil is always in the details. Until the actual wording is known it is hard to say just how this will turn out. It certainly needs to be watched closely. I understand the need to help the consumer but sometimes these things get written in a way that can be taken too far. Good luck to all of you in the UK. Keep us posted on how this turns out.

shadowdancer

To be honest I don't see anything wrong with the suggested wording. I accept this is only a face value issue, and yes the details are yet to be forthcoming. However, if this is an accurate representation of the text, any 'healer' who is working with the highest of intentions would never dream of making absolute promises anyway.

I have been a crystal therapist and Bach Flower practitioner for years. Never in that time would I say "this will definitely cure you......"

I think if this is the only area referenced in the new act it will be interesting indeed. The Fraudulent Mediums Act replaced the Witchcraft Act and has a fair bit of historical fame attached to it. If it does not mention anything about mediumship, tarot etc will that give carte blanche to those who are in the minority (the charlatans) to carry on with no recourse? I think not. Proving someone is a fake or charlatan is not easy. Even if it were proven, our courts are hard pressed to cope with the usual caseloads let alone prosecuting someone who is in front of them for fraudulent mediumship. To be honest if they have taken payment, it would probably be covered these days under the Theft Act and offences of deception etc.

So in a nuthshell I don't have a problem with what is being proposed or the wording, based on what has been highlighted so far. Genuine healers may welcome this, but to safeguard yourself I would always recommend having clients sign something to this effect so there is no misunderstanding of what may be possible as a result of a healing session.

Now, it will be interesting to see how this act does affect those of us also in the tarot world

:)

Davina

Elnor

I designed a website last summer to list Tarot readers in the London area, and the day before yesterday my statcounter shows that someone came to the site through doing a Google search for "Disclaimer for Tarot Readers".

Maybe they were just looking for examples to use themselves... but it's still a little odd- shows that people are aware of the need for them, I suppose.
Maybe I need to re-do my own personal one- I've never got into the habit of having one on display when I have a client over, but perhaps I need to think about that.

Thanks for the link and the info, Elvenstar.

elnor