Mixed Feelings About Tarot!

bluefairy

I just started getting back into tarot,especially after being here at the AT and i came out to a couple of people but i get mixed feeling about it.i know i love it but some people are like cool can you read for me and then others are like are you crazy that's bad(evil).why do people fear it so much?so i asked why do you fear it and the answer was you can get negative things from the cards.and or it attracts evil etc after a while i just stopped answering.
i am not sure if there is a thread about this but what do you think?

AJ

There are probably lots of threads, but I know what you mean, I was just thinking about this tonight while I was reading the book to the Bohemian Gothic Tarot.

I admire Shirley McLaine's acting work, think she's tops, but until my own immersion in Tarot I've would have gladly told anyone she was an absolute kook personally. Now I know a lot more about the things she has enjoyed for years, charka work in particular and she seems as normal as can be.

Anyway, what I was wondering while reading what Karen had to say about Waite and naming the suits, if I understood her right there wasn't a pentacle suit prior to the RWS deck, that was coins or discs. Even though I would defend my enjoyment of tarot to the death :) the word pentacles still creeps me out. I find myself conveniently using the word pents as if I'm just in a hurry...no, I just don't want to say it or spell it :)

People... some days you just can't please anyone.
But back to your question, we are in the minority and anything that isn't comfortable or popular with the mass majority will always be looked at with askance.

Welcome to AT
and the dark side

PS my parents were rockhounds, surrounded by friends who were sedentry bookworms. They all thought my parents were kooks.

autumnsdaughter

It sounds to me like it isn't so much that your feelings are mixed- but rather that the feelings of people around you are mixed. I think that when it comes to tarot, you get whatever you expect to get.

For instance, if someone is fearful of evil stuff coming out in the cards, they will interpret the cards differently than if they came to the cards from a place of curiosity or wanting to improve themselves.

MareSaturni

Listen...

I don't mean to sound harsh. But if you really want to learn tarot well...you have to trust it. If you have mixed feelings about it just because some think it's good and some think it's devil work...you have to make up your mind whether you think it's good or not. Or else, it'll be a hindrance in your tarot learning.

I'm not going to start a big speech about how tarot is marvellous and people who believe it's the devil's tool are fool...because i think everyone is free to believe whatever they want. I believe in tarot. I think it's fantastic.

How about you?

bluefairy

i was told that nothing evil or so they call it can come from tarot.why don't people try to understand,more and more people are getting into sylvia brown etc they can understand people talking to the dead but not tarot,it's been around for ages.i guess people fear what they do not understand.

but i say if you don't understand it learn it and grow from it,that's what i do i am open to anything like religion ,concerns etc i like to learn about all sorts of things.i guess that's just me.

bluefairy

and thanks about joining you all here and the dark side.funning thing is i was also fancying the Bohemian Gothic.lol.

bershka

it's also due to people's upbringings and influence from negative society....

Apart from me, my family does not believe in tarot at all and my parents tell me to "be careful" in dealing with tarot because there can be negative energy coming out of this *sigh*

So whenever my family is around, I just hide my lovely tarot and oracle decks temporarily :D

franniee

AJ, I always thought Shirley mcClaine knew something I didnt' know. I always looked on her as someone who was more enlightened then me! :laugh:

and blue fairy there in lies your answer.... be you! If this is what you believe then so be it. SREW them all!!! and I am serious!!!

When Jesus was first came about people didn't know what to believe.. but many did.... be true to you and you is your heart and your beliefs.

the cards to me are a meditation device... they help me connect to my unconscious mind... if I were better I could do it without the cards...but right now I need a little help - I am hoping I will evolve....

Baroli

Jesus as a matter of fact, his own family was embarrassed by him when he started his preaching ministry in his own town. I think the verse (and I am paraphrasing) goes 'a prophet is never welcome in his home town.'

You be the person you were meant to be and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

baroli

bluefairy

to Marina, i should have changed the title these are not my feelings it's the mixed feeling others give and there take on tarot.i couldn't care less if people except it or not i know i love it and want to grow learning more .as for the people who think it's devil work well i won't tell them anything or show them,but if comments are said i have to say my piece i don't think opions where meant to be one parted...
i also agree that it comes with how people are brought up.