How long do you use the same tarot deck?

bershka

Out of curiosity, how long do you use the same tarot deck? Do you swap decks every day/week/month or does it depend on your purpose?

I thought I would be able to use the same deck for a while (I really don't know how I was able to use only one deck, Universal Waite, for 8 straight months *sigh*), but recently, I have to change decks like every week or so!

phoenixblu

i dont actually swap i just use the deck that appeals to me that day.. if not i mainly use the mythic.. but usually i go hmm this deck would be great for this reading :)

.traveller.

Exclusively? Past few years it's been anywhere between 3 to 6 months, but that is because I have more to chose from. Before that, it was one deck for a year+ or more.

If I use oracles with the tarot, then it's more like 6 to 12 months because the oracles help keep the tarot fresh.

I'm on month 2 with my current favorite, and it feels like a longterm love affair. I'll have to see how I feel come the 3rd and 6th month marks :)

afrosaxon

Overall: I ride a deck till the wheels fall off. :joke:

Seriously...right now I'm rebuilding my tarot library and I only have 2 decks that I use (New Orleans Voodoo Tarot and Women's Tarot). The NOVT is a long-term love affair, but even the loa get tired...so when my readings start getting wonky, or I am having trouble interpreting the cards, I give the deck a rest and switch to the Women's.

When I increase my tarot library, I'll switch off more between those decks with which I really connect. No specific time period, just as the Spirit moves.

Oracles help, but I usually don't use them as a clarifying tool too often. Nothing against it all...mainly that I forget to even do it. *shrug*

VGimlet

I used my original deck for 29 years.

Now I am working on a project where I use each deck I own for one week of daily draws.

For my "public" reading decks I usually use 1-4 decks for several years. The Universal RWS I used for probably 3-4 years as my main public reading deck, with the Thoth and the Robin Wood as other choices.

Now I use the Gilded as my main, with the Thoth, the Flornoy Noblet, and what ever deck strikes my fancy as alternates. Sometimes I get special requests.

FaireMaiden

I've read the 'Universal Waite' for the past 16 years and have absolutely no desire to read with anything else... We are 'one' that deck and I, *vbs*

Eowyn

My de-colored Legend...

I have been using mine for 10 years + or -.
It got de-colorated during the years...

AND lastnight I orderer my second deck (The Osho zen tarot)...

:D

Blessings

gregory

I have one or two I use "most often" - but like others have said here - I use the deck that seems to ask to be used for any given situation - or the deck my sitter asks me to use...

Sulis

I tend to stick with the same deck for around 6 -8 months. I find I learn and work best whilst using just one or two decks exclusively and I have a few of my favourite decks that I rotate.

At the moment I'm using The Pearls of Wisdom deck and I can see me using it for the foreseeable future.

faunabay

Like phoenixblu and gregory I just tend to use the one that appeals to me at that moment. But I do have a couple that get used more often. My fall back/favorite is the Victorian Romantic. :)