PDA

View Full Version : Laptop key came off

Michelle
20-02-2008, 02:10
My '6' key came off of my laptop. Is there any way to re-attach it without taking it in for service? I have the key and two small plastic pieces that came off with it.

Thank you so much!

Namaste,
Michelle

Skimo
20-02-2008, 02:22
I am pretty good at repairing laptop keyboard.

(I have pet birds and accidents just happen :-/ )

The two plastic pieces must be together and act like a spring to make the upper part coming back after being used.

You can try to put them together where they should be or take another key off to see how it should be.

I will look in my files to see if I can find pictures.

Be carefull with the two plastic pieces, when those are broken you can't buy new ones, you have to change the keyboard or buy a new one ( what I had to do after my last keyboard accident).

Skimo
20-02-2008, 02:32
Here is a picture of my laptop after the last accident.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/2276814281_ccb5b1830e.jpg?v=0

In fact, I had already repaired as many keys as possible and it worked like this a few weeks before showing neurological signs... :o(

Michelle
20-02-2008, 02:45
Thank you,Skimo. You have been a huge help. My two plastic pieces are broken apart, darn it. Guess I'll have to just leave it as is.

What happened to your keyboard?! I think I would have cried :).

Namaste,
Michelle

Skimo
20-02-2008, 02:51
I was away, a friend of mine was guarding my pet birds.

I forgot to close my laptop, she forgot to close the cage door...

And my pet birds had a lot of fun outside of their cage during one day.

They did put half of the keys off the board...

It was bad luck. This friend was really nice to guard my birds and it could have happen to me, soo... I was depressed yes!

Here is the guilty one :http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2016/2276827321_74bc762fee.jpg?v=0

Skimo
20-02-2008, 02:53
Another option is to put off another key you never use and take the two pieces to repair your 6.

The twos pieces should imbricate in each other.

Well, it's a litlle hard to explain and I don't have better pictures, sorry!

floracove
20-02-2008, 11:14
...just a thought...

sometimes, the salvation army store here at home has computer parts. I bought a webcam for fifty cents and then later found a good working keyboard for $3.00.
If you have one local, or even a Goodwill store, check and see, they might have something you need sometime, for your pc. (ya never know)

Michelle
20-02-2008, 12:14
Thank you, Floracove. That's a really good idea, one I never would have thought of. I actually have several bags of clothing ready to go to Goodwill, I can do it all in one trip :).

Namaste,
Michelle

Michelle
20-02-2008, 12:16
Skimo,

Your bird is adorable ! My daughter says so, too (she's standing behind me being as I'm typing).
Thank you for all of your help, you are very kind.

Namaste,
Michelle

floracove
20-02-2008, 19:30
Your welcome.

I just thought about it too, if you go and find none, talk to the manager.
If they don't have any, the distribution service might make sure they send some that way, like they do the furniture and stuff.

Or, they the local store may not have even considered having them. I know ours, they check somewhere, just to make sure they work.

They usually have stickers on them, with WORKS written on it with the price.
Also, before you do buy, ask them if it doesn't work can you bring it back to exchange for something else. If not ask for them to check in in some way. I know my friend who runs the one here in town will sometimes check things to make sure they work.
Can't hurt.

Another place to check might be the local schools, since down here every once in awhile, they clean out and sell all their old stuff cheap, when they get replacements.

Just make sure to check the cable ends, so that they do match what your computer uses. ;)

Thank you, Floracove. That's a really good idea, one I never would have thought of. I actually have several bags of clothing ready to go to Goodwill, I can do it all in one trip :).

Namaste,
Michelle

WolfSpirit
20-02-2008, 20:16
My old laptop had a bit of a faulty keyboard, but I could attach a separate keyboard to it and it worked fine like that.
Of course this is not so handy if you need to take the laptop with you.

Michelle
22-02-2008, 12:34
That's a good idea WolfSpirit. Wonder what the kid's would say if I take their keyboard ? Just an idea :).

Nevermore
22-02-2008, 14:18
You can grab a cheap keyboard if you can't get the key fixed. It's great to be able to have the screen at eye level and keyboard in my lap.
Hope that helps ;)

Michelle
02-03-2008, 14:17
Thank you,Nevermore. That's a smart idea.