A tarot library

SphinYote

This was briefly mentioned in another thread, thought it deserved a thread of its own as its been rattling around in my mind for years.

I have always felt a little guilty about my book hoarding and tarot collecting. I don't want to be the only person who ever uses them (though I DO have trust issues with my pretties, and am not exactly comfortable with people borrowing, but no one has ever asked and I've never offered, so a nonissue for the time being).

THat said, I have always wanted to start a small reading-room/library devoted to esoteric and environmental interests, and whatever other little eccentric inquiries that catch my interest...

So, that said, what would you want in such a library or reading room? If you could go to a library and knew you could access and look at tarot decks in hand, what kind of related resources would you want? What would make it a comfortable and useful place?

How would YOU go about making one? WHere? I know small town USA wouldn't really be fond of such things, unless its one of the more progressive areas south, but I'm in the bible-belt right now (slightly more liberal area as I'm in a university town and we do have occasional little eccentric things like this, BUT...), and thus such an endeavor would probably involve moving.

How can this be done cheaply? I definitely don't have the financial resources now.

And for future reference, would such a thing be worthy of your donations, either in deck, book, or monatary form?

Other questions? Anyone else interested in such a thing? Starting such a reading room or library? Going to one?

Yote

raventepes

The thought's actually crossed my mind as well. I'd deffinitely think that something of this nature would have to be in a bigger city than where I am right now. Again, like you, I'm kind of stuck in bible-belt land. I haven't fully thought out the logistics of everything, but I do know that I'd want a copy or two Kaplan's tarot encyclopedia there. And BOOKS! Every book on tarot I could find. One thing that I DID think about though was weather or not to use my personal decks or to buy decks just for the library. I came to the conclusion that it'd be best to have library owned decks.

That's about all I've thought of. It'll be interesting to see how this develops with ideas and such.

Scion

Hey Sphinyote,

There are a few beautiful esoteric libraries here in NYC that sound like exactly what you are describing. Maintaining a library is growing increasingly difficult and expensive, so any energy, funds, or material funneled to one of them would, I'm sure, be greatly appreciated.

The Theosophical Society maintains a reading room in their Sellon Library up on East 54th (above Quest Books, which runs out of their ground floor space).

The Parapsychological Foundation used to run the Garrett Library up on 71st, but I think they've moved out to Long Island.

The American Society for Psychical Research on the Upper West Side is the most dramatic, because the building is a beautiful old townhouse that was acquired by the Society (with the help of inventor of the photocopier, Chester Carlson) a while ago. Fantastic place to spend an afternoon and genuinely ownderful books.

The Livingston Masonic Library is down on West 23rd and is one of the best Masonic collections in America.

The Lucis Trust Library down on Wall Street runs out of the offices of the occult organization founded by Alice Bailey.

And if you're willing to consider the Continent, actually now that I think of it, Bob Place just went to Italy to "cut the ribbon" on a new Alchemical Library that sounds pretty amazing.

Bottom line: NYC is loaded with such places, and I imagine many of them are open to donations. I've used most of the above NYC spots at one time or another, for variuous research frenzies or writing binges... So anything I can do to steer help their way seems like a good idea. :thumbsup:

Scion

moderndayruth

SphinYote, firstly i'd like to congratulate you on this innovative and philantropic idea! Unfortunately, i can't answer your questions, as i am in Europe and absolutely uninformed on the toppic, but i can assure you that, as i guess many others, i am willing to support your work in whatever way i can - contributing decks definitely as well as money when i have the possibility.

Astraea Aurora

What would I want in a Tarot Library?

First ones are easy. Lots of decks and books so you can grab them right off the shelves and read them / use them for some trial 'n' error readings or study. A solid amount of historical, modern and art decks, with companion books if available would be cool. (Now, which decks count into 'a good amount' and which don't?)

That brings me to the second ones *and I'm absolutely draydreaming here* Lots of comfy reading spots. I mean those tables made out of old wood with some good amount of daylight so you can read books easily and look at the cards. Of course some spotlights, *daydream modus on* those lamps with the green glass on top which also stand in English libraries or the English Parlament (I think so) *daydream modus off*. And of course wide areas with sofas and sofa tables where you can chit-chat with other Tarot enthusiasts.

OK, enough said as I must remember myself that I'm from the old world and you in the new world aren't as nostalgic as I am ... I think so ..

Astraea Aurora :grin:

HearthCricket

Astraea Aurora said:
OK, enough said as I must remember myself that I'm from the old world and you in the new world aren't as nostalgic as I am ... I think so ..

Want to bet? I love all your ideas!

Yes, as many decks as you can get your hands on. Those you cannot, have computer access to ones online. Books on the history, symbolism, artwork, artbooks, varous religions, Kaplan's Encyclopedia's, books that accompany decks, legends, fairytales, from all over the world. Books on astrology, astronomy, magic, witchcraft, poetry...anything that relates, which is a lot of ground to cover. Also books on various tarot spreads, reversal, court cards, etc. Study groups and speakers on a regular basis, too!

Large tables for spreading out books and studying or note-taking, wireless laptop capability, lovely study lamps, sectioned off cubicles for those who want more privacy, comfy wing chairs, coffee tables and sofas with tiffany lamps behind them, stained glass windows, coffee and tea offered (we have tarot stores like this, around here, so why not libraries?), places for scanning images, and the capability to also purchase decks and books might be rather handy, as well, with a reading cafe next to it!

faunabay

I actually had a small room in my last house that was just devoted to my tarot and spiritual books and nicknacks!! I loved it immensely. Sadly this house I live in now doesn't have an available room for this.

Your idea sounds wonderful though. An esoteric library for the public!!! What a great idea!

celticnoodle

Astraea Aurora said:
What would I want in a Tarot Library?

First ones are easy. Lots of decks and books so you can grab them right off the shelves and read them / use them for some trial 'n' error readings or study. A solid amount of historical, modern and art decks, with companion books if available would be cool. (Now, which decks count into 'a good amount' and which don't?)

That brings me to the second ones *and I'm absolutely draydreaming here* Lots of comfy reading spots. I mean those tables made out of old wood with some good amount of daylight so you can read books easily and look at the cards. Of course some spotlights, *daydream modus on* those lamps with the green glass on top which also stand in English libraries or the English Parlament (I think so) *daydream modus off*. And of course wide areas with sofas and sofa tables where you can chit-chat with other Tarot enthusiasts.

I was thinking the same exact thing, A.A. It would be a great way to see how you like a deck, by actually being able to handle them, and try them out. So, lots of decks and books that accompany each deck or the general help books. Also some comfy chairs and tables around so you can sit down and try the deck out, (as again A.A. mentions). It would also be an added plus if this place can also offer tarot reading courses, to teach about tarot. Also maybe some areas that tarot readers could use to give readings for a price, (and then share that price with this space).

Maybe also a place where you can also purchase books and decks, which would in turn help to pay for running this lovely idea! OOOHHH, this would be HEAVEN to me! I have a heated room in my barn, not huge mind you, but I would dearly love to be able to have this sort of thing in that room. However, I'm afraid the townsfolk would probably run us out of town! :laugh:

GREAT IDEA!

Scion

I just realized I only answered half the question above...

The place to initiate something like this would be on a coast, because that's where travellers tend to end up. In order to be useful it would have to be accessible to a high volume of like-minded and/or casually curious folks. High traffic & high density population areas; so basically that's blue states on a body of water.

Real Estate would be the real issue. NY, Boston, & DC are so cost-intensive that probably Cali is a better option if yuou wanted to acquire a dedicated space. If the West coast then Hell-A or San Fran... And there's a friendliness to the "New Age" milieu that would cut a fair amount of slack. Having said that, there ARE a lot of old school esoteric foundations based here in NYC, and maybe what you could consider is adopting a room inside an existing library. Endowing a collection and a reading area that fit under the umbrella of an existing institution with an endowment etc.

As for decor, my yardstick for any research area is either the reading areas of the main NY Public Library on 42nd, or the main room of Columbia's Butler Library: panelled, low brass lamps, overstuffed furniture in small gatherings, heavy tables. HIGH ceilings with a great trompe l'oueil or soffet for gentle lighting, an adjoining area suitable and available for gatherings/events/lectures/classes. Fixtures for laptops and wireless internet, maybe a computer at one side. But the emphasis on quiet time with the materials in good light and ample silence. I'd also suggest that stacks and noncirculation would be the way to go so that things would be accessible as much as possible to as many users as possible.

Materials wise, I'd love to see rare materials gathered in one place. There are TONS of books that have been lost to time or left untranslated that we just don't have access to with any degree of convenience. Definitely core historical texts that people should be able to see: Etteilla, Gebelin, Levi, Pitois, Papus, Case, and pretty much every member of the Golden Dawn. A selection of popular literature from around the world. And as several people have said a large subcollection of related topics: astrology, Qabalah, Ars Memoria, Alchemy, ceremonial magick, neoplatonism, Hermetica, Gnosticism, mythology, Geomancy, medieval & Renaisaance history/art criticism/philosophy etc etc. And of course you'd want original editions, like trhe Morgan Library's Visconti, and the long lost plates from the 1910 Pamela B, and the Lady Harris Canvasses from the Warburg Institute in London.

But of course, all of that is just dreaming. Can you tell thinking about books get me worked up? :)

If you're serious and want to pursue it, you might try contacting some existing libraries with esoteric collections and see if they're interested in being endowed. The idea of adopting a room inside an existing foundation seems eminently workable. Definitely an idea worth investigating further...

Scion