PDA

View Full Version : Smell of Herbs

GoddessArtemis
22-02-2008, 06:57
Every once in a while, I burn sage to cleanse my space, and on top of that, I may add some other incense that I have (powder form) that smells really good. But, there's a problem.

For days, sometimes weeks after burning sage, my home smells like a New Age store! If you're not familiar with what that means...it means it retains the smell of incense, good or bad, all mixed up. I dust, vacuum, Fabreeze, spray...and the smell doesn't seem to go out!

The sage that I use is high quality, and I burn it on a charcoal block...but the problem is the lingering scent!!

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you get rid of it?

GA

NightQueen
22-02-2008, 07:18
do u have ur windows open as u burn the sage? When I smudge my home and mind u a smudge stick has such a stronger smell than an incense stick, I open all the windows in my house for the sage to carry any negativity or nasties out of my house through the open windows and with that goes the smell:)

GoddessArtemis
22-02-2008, 07:20
Yes, I even left the windows open for a few hours, even though it was chilly out! And it still smells. :(

GA

flicker
22-02-2008, 07:24
I always open the windows afterwards and throw the doors open. I dont find the smell stays too long here. I swapped t smudge sticks as I dont enjoy resin incense either,the smell lasts a while and I find it can overpower the room. I still have the smell of lemon verbena incense I have changed the bed opened the windows and the smell is still there.
I have got to the stage where I tried spraying essential oils but it only blends with the previous smell. Id like to hear more as to how to remove the smell.

Disa
22-02-2008, 07:36
I would love my house to smell like a metaphysical shop. Is it sage incense you are using? Maybe you could try white sage either loose or in a smudge stick. I only use a little at a time and the smell doesn't linger too long.

GoddessArtemis
22-02-2008, 07:40
I would love my house to smell like a metaphysical shop. Is it sage incense you are using? Maybe you could try white sage either loose or in a smudge stick. I only use a little at a time and the smell doesn't linger too long.I use white sage, and it's the loose type, which I burn on the charcoal. I don't use sage incense, per se...more the other delicious smelling incenses on top of the sage. Thing is, I wish the other scents would linger, but instead it's the sage, which can be overpowering when it's still there 2-3...9 days later...

GA

HearthCricket
22-02-2008, 07:57
I am not a fan of the smell of smudge, even the best of them, but the store in town uses it a lot and it does linger. But they also burn incense and between air circulation the smells goes away. Have you tried airing your house out and then burning favourite incense (stick or even natural) for a few days in a row to see if it helps? I know months after using incense and taking a break I could still smell a slight scent of Nag Champa in my tablecloth and lace curtains of the dining room, but it eventually went away (I love the smell, anyhow) unti I burned it again!

I know books I buy at Metaphysical shops smell wonderfully of incense for the rest of their life! I can always tell what book came from Amazon and what came from one of the stores around here!

LeaRoseQuartz
22-02-2008, 07:58
Hi Goddess! Sage is a pungent smelling herb that's for sure! I only burn it on days when it's warm enough to open some windows. I like the smell but my husband says it smells like b.o.! lol! Well I do too but in a good way more like a good herbal soup smell! he he! I'll burn some in the spring to kinda cleanse my house. When it lingers in the house I use a pure natural orange spray called pure citrus in the air freshener section at wal-mart. It works wonders on any strong odors and is the real thing. it smells so good I'm always spraying it around! You could burn some type of orange or any other essential oil. I do that too and I collect oils. Hope this helps!

GoddessArtemis
23-02-2008, 04:16
I left the windows open all night and cranked up the heater, as it was chilly. The smell was better today, though there must be an easier way then freezing your bum off to get the sage scent out...

GA

HearthCricket
24-02-2008, 00:09
I was thinking of you, around 3am this morning! lol I burned some lovely sandalwood incense, last night, but this time I burned the whole stick and upstairs in the den. At first it just smelt so good and I loved it. And after it was out the lingering smell was really nice. Then it just turned into a smokey smell. Still some perfume to it, but point being, it is too closed up with smaller rooms in the upstairs than the rooms that open up one to another and cathedral ceilings downstairs. Plus I usually just burn 1/3rd of 1/2 a stick at a time. This time I burnt the whole thing in a small room. Stupid move on my part.

The result? Both of us are stuffed up, the house smells and we are now freezing our behinds off as I have windows open everywhere. I am literally sitting here in a winter coat! I have tried Fabreeze and Lysol to calm it down, but smoke gets into everything. Lesson learned. No more incense upstairs. Only downstairs and only a little at a time. At this point it is getting tempting to just open the box but not even burn it!

After we air the house out, I know the smell will still be there, packing a punch. So it will be soy scented burning time to see if that help at all. I know how you feel! I didn't even sleep well because of it.

floracove
24-02-2008, 02:25
GA, I do know that BBQ briquets can absorb the foulest odors, you might try placing a few on something and putting them in the corners of the room to remove the smell.

Little Hare
24-02-2008, 07:59
I don't use the charcoal blocks because of that reason.. i've found no matter what i burn the smell lingers for days even with the windows open.... The white smudge stick I don't have any problems with... so maybe try the stick?

autumnsdaughter
24-02-2008, 08:08
Another options for scents without the lingering burning smell is an essential oil diffuser. It seems a lot cleaner, and doesn't leave a gross "after-smell".

GoddessArtemis
26-02-2008, 05:19
I was thinking of you, around 3am this morning!

The result? Both of us are stuffed up, the house smells and we are now freezing our behinds off as I have windows open everywhere. I am literally sitting here in a winter coat! I have tried Fabreeze and Lysol to calm it down, but smoke gets into everything. Lesson learned. No more incense upstairs. Only downstairs and only a little at a time. At this point it is getting tempting to just open the box but not even burn it!LOL! That's exactly what happened to me...I was all stuffed up, head-achy, and the smell lingered for days. Opening the windows helped some, and vacuuming 3x a day seemed to also help a little. Overall, the best option WAS the open window, but at the cost of getting a head cold. :( Maybe it IS the charcoal blocks, though did you use them, too? I've never tried smudge sticks, but I want input into how that scent lingers before I even go that route.

I might try BBQ briquettes, as floracove suggests, though I have NO idea what those are! :D

GA

Anam Cara
26-02-2008, 05:37
...Opening the windows helped some, and vacuuming 3x a day seemed to also help a little.
GA
This reminded me of another idea (if you're still looking for ideas!?)
Take one half of a small cotton ball, or a very small piece of tissue or toilet paper...place a few drops of lavender oil (or your favorite essential oil) on to the cotton or tissue...then turn on the vacuum cleaner and suck it right up!
It's much cleaner and less dusty than the powders and crystals on the market! As the scent wears off, just suck up another scented (half of a) cotton ball!
:heart:cara

flicker
27-02-2008, 00:22
still got the verbena problem I have aired the room often but the base of the bed still smells lemon V. I changed the bedding recently and thought no more of it till I am sleeping and the pillows and bedding smells of lemon again. I am finding it frustrating. I will have to figure something out perhaps I should add orange and lime to it and I can have a cocktail.

HearthCricket
27-02-2008, 02:20
LOL! That's exactly what happened to me...I was all stuffed up, head-achy, and the smell lingered for days. Opening the windows helped some, and vacuuming 3x a day seemed to also help a little. Overall, the best option WAS the open window, but at the cost of getting a head cold. :( Maybe it IS the charcoal blocks, though did you use them, too? I've never tried smudge sticks, but I want input into how that scent lingers before I even go that route.

I might try BBQ briquettes, as floracove suggests, though I have NO idea what those are! :D

GA

No, mine was stick incense and a nice quality one, too. It was just a bad move on my part. The rooms upstairs are more closed up, and being winter, no windows are open. It was just stupid of me to burn it for so long in such a closed area. You can only smell it in this room, now, but it still bothers me to some degree. But I do have a cold and I did air out the room and probably got chilled. Such is life. At any rate, we do have some warmer days ahead and I plan to take full advantage of them! And no more burning upstairs! 1/3rd of a stick, downstairs, perfumes the whole house nicely! If I get a sandalwood or nag champa craving, all I have to do is open the box! That will scent the room nicely without smoking it up!!

eta~My husband just walked in the room and said "I can still smell that incense!" lol The wooden bookcase and my Wheel of the Year plaque absorbed the sandalwood. They smell good! Hehehe....