transits & orbs

isthmus nekoi

I've read that the orbs for transitting planets are much smaller, usually within one degree. If a natal planet is prominent in the chart, can the orb be widened? Thanks in advance ^_^

Minderwiz

Yes you are right Isthmus.

Two degrees is about the maximum most astrologers will allow for major aspects by transit (and 1 to 1.5 degrees for minor aspects).

With the outer planets even this is probably too generous because they move so slowly. On January 1st 2001 Pluto was at 16 degrees 2 minutes Sagittarius on December 31st it will be at 18 degrees 14 minutes Sagittarius - a move of just over 2 degrees in one year - and this is only half of the allowable orb (because it's two degrees before and two degrees afterwards). It will be December 2003 before Pluto manages to move over four degrees. So if someone has a square by transit to Pluto the effects will be there for two years, or even more in some cases.

I know of Astrologers who fix their transit orbs in terms of time for the outer planets - six months before and six months after.

isthmus nekoi

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Minderwiz!

AquarianGoddess

Sorry, but I must disagree here.....

I am an "orb slob" and use wide orbs. With the outer planets, I use three degrees, but the personal planet transits, I'll use seven to ten. A lot depends on the actual chart I'm reading and how many planets are being affects. If a configuration is involved, that deems extra consideration.

I ALWAYS take into account the progressed Moon to see if that's linking with a natal planet and a transit. The progressed Moon itself is usually a three month span (applying, exact, leaving), but I've seen it work longer in some cases.

I'm not suggesting that anyone adopt my method, but it works for me.

AG

isthmus nekoi

It's nice to see you back AG ^_^

I haven't had much experience w/interpreting transits so I'll take the differing views into consideration and see how the planets play out...

Minderwiz

Great to see you back AG - and don't be sorry for disagreeing!!

We all have our own systems, life would be boring if we didn't.

There is no 'correct' answer to the orbs issue and I carefully said 'most' astrologers rather than 'all' astrologers - orbs is a personal thing. However most writers I have read are much tighter with transit orbs than natal orbs.

This is obviously an area for discussion but I must admit I haven't seen such wide orbs used regularly for transits. I can see that for applying orbs there may well be an argument for identifying any effect early on and then monitoring its growth in 'power'. But would you use, say, seven degrees for a separating aspect on a transit of Mars (assuming that it isn't going to turn retrograde and move back over the planet)?