Australian Fruitstone?

Rede Seeker

A sphere of a stone I did not recognize kept placing itself in my hands at a Gem and Mineral Show last week. I decided I had better buy it before it slipped itself into my bag...anyone else have that kind of experience with crystals?

It is a very cool piece. The dealer said it was Australian Fruitstone. It is a soft mineral and only takes a matte finish, not a glossy one.

Anyone familiar with this type of stone? Google has failed to identify it.

thorhammer

RS, I'm reasonably au fait with Australian stones, and I've never heard of that one!
What does it look like?
Colour/s?
Is it heavy for its size?
Does it sap the heat from your fingers, or warm up quickly?

Can you post a nice clear piccy for us? I know MCsea is a bit of an authority on crystals, and Australian, so she might know better. But I'd be interested to see if I can recognise it :D.

\m/ Kat

Rede Seeker

Alas, no photo capability

I don't have the gear needed to post photos.

The sphere is about 3 inches in diameter. The matte finish attracted me first. When I got closer, the pattening reminded me of a cabbage rose, densely packed petal-like colorations in brick red and brown shades. When I looked into the heart of the cabbage rose/fruitstone sphere...spooky images consistent with meditations that I do...very spooky to find them at a gem/mineral show in a stone from the other side of the world. Wyrd things are so cool.

The sphere feels heavy compared to others of that size that I've held. It also feels warm.

Teacups

sure he didn't sell you a peach pit? that's what a fruit stone is... (laughing!)

(I'm just being very ornery, never mind me)

since it won't go shiney, maybe it's a form of sandstone? hmmm, that would seem to be light....how about tiger iron?

I did an image search for sandstone spheres, which they make them, and they're not shiney... try it and see. But in the meantime, by doing so, I found this link, and it looks pretty cool and you might i.d. your stone there...check this out... www.therockshed.com

this site has a lovely sandstone sphere if you scroll down to almost the bottom of the page http://www.sphereheaven.com/spheres.htm

thorhammer

It sounds to me like it might be mookaite, also called mooka jasper. It's a beautiful stone that comes in many, many different colours, ranging from white, yellow, orange, dark dark red, purple and everything in between. It's opaque (you can't see through it) and looks almost like banded chocolate (in funny colours) like it'd be good to eat :laugh:. Lots of Australian stones are heavy for their size, because of the prevalence of iron in our geology.

Tiger iron is very heavy, and very dark, usually banded in one direction only with colours ranging from deeeeep red, to haematite-type silvery-black, often with bands of tiger eye running through it. It doesn't sound like tiger iron to me.

There are some sample piccies of mookaite at these sites:
http://www.outbackmining.com/mookaite.htm
http://mysticmerchant.com/mookaite/

Hope this helps,

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

It's a beautiful stone, faunabay. It's just like coloured chocolate, really - it even feels like it's about to melt in your hand! Very calming and protective, although lots of people have lots of different meanings for it.

I'm a bit of an Australian crystal barracker!

\m/ Kat

Sonic

Okay..this is just ridiculous. I'm going to start instituting an enabling tax to the very next person that puts pictures in this forum of more stones I want.. dear god help me!

gorrrrrrrrrgeoussssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/faints

faunabay

thorhammer said:
It's a beautiful stone, faunabay. It's just like coloured chocolate, really - it even feels like it's about to melt in your hand! Very calming and protective, although lots of people have lots of different meanings for it.

I'm a bit of an Australian crystal barracker!

\m/ Kat
This next weekend we're having a half way decent sized Gem and Mineral show that I'm going to. It would be wonderful if I could find some there!!! Hope! Hope!

And the way you describe it makes me want it even more!!! Thanks bunches you enabler you!! :)

Little Hare

I've never heard of Australian Fruitstone before.

Kat you shouldn't have posted those website links! I want more crystals :laugh: