Best Way To Learn The Minor Arcana?

LadySquee

I did do a forum search, but I didn't find anything that really fit what I was looking for.

I have a couple Tarot books, but I don't feel they're very thorough.

I know everyone says to practice doing readings, you'll become more familiar with the cards, but I want some sort of structure, like an outline lesson.

I looked online some for Tarot reading lessons, but didn't really find what I was looking for. I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could point me in..well..any direction^_^

What is the best way to learn the minor arcana? Does anyone have any links to share?

rosebud_a320

As a beginner myself I would recomend any of Mary Greer's books.
They give you a structure that is not dull and also helps you open your intuition.

Best way to learn the minor arcana would be to start with the Aces, look at them, research them, get a feel for them then go on to 2's then 3's etc.
Look at the individual suit elements what happens when you pair that suit with the specific numbers?

sleepingcat

Thirteen once told me a good, efficent way to learn the majors.

Basically, each of the minors relates back to the major of the same number, given its own elemental spin.

raeanne

Hi LadySquee,
Here are some suggestions (and I'm sure you will get some more from others).

In the 'Using Tarot Cards' forum there is a thread near the top called 'Tarot Basics'. Click on that and then click on the link to 'Thirteen's Tarot Basics'. Set up a plan for yourself to study one card each day (or whatever works best for you).

Another option is Joan Bunning's web site:
http://www.learntarot.com/
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on 'Course'. This is a good online course that many people have used to get started.

Another option is to design your own study plan.
Decide to take one card a day (or every other day, or whatever works for you). Write down everything you see on the card. Start at the top and work your way down. Get as detailed as you can. Then, beside each of these words, write down what you think about that color, symbol, flower, mountain, etc. See if you can make a link between these colors and symbols and the key words. Do a little role playing and stand the way the person in the card is standing and try to get a feeling of what the cards is about. Are there times in your life when you felt that way? Are there any characters in movies, books, or TV shows, that felt this way? The more personal you can make this, the easier it will be to remember the card.

Well, that's just a start. Like I said, I think you will be getting some other suggestions as well. The important thing is to make your study something that you enjoy doing. Happy journey!

Grizabella

Just a word here---

We're all too used to school and that way of learning where someone gives us a structure and we have to stay within that structure we of learn, cramming someone else's "facts" into our heads. With tarot, the very best way to learn is to forget everything you ever learned from school about how to learn.

Let your deck teach you about the Minors. Use the deck for readings, study the images, let your mind wander freely, say what you see and what suddenly comes to you when you look at the cards and you'll learn the Minors in the only way that's really going to be of the best use to you. You can cram in facts about what someone else says the Minors mean, but cramming in facts and thens spitting them out like a parrot isn't reading the cards. Letting the cards tell you what they mean within each reading is the way it works. :)

Vadella

Keep in mind what all the suits mean. lay out the cards and form a story line with them. You will start to understand them better if you can see what is happening in front of you.

For example (Wands)

Ace -1- beginning of....

An offer that is really exciting comes into your life.

2 of Wands- Decision making time of....

Will you accept that offer or not.

3 of Wands- What happens because of....

You've accepted it and now they are telling you when you can start.

4 Wands- A foundation has now been laid...

You are now part of a structure... a company...

I think you see what I mean. :)

xx
Vad

Sinduction

This is what I do when I get a new deck.

I pull all the minors in a suit and lay them out in order. Then I try to see the progression from card to card. It helps if I make up a story about the characters.

I also like to tie them to the major they belong to. Once you develop your own system it will get easier.

Frannie

When I began studying Tarot, I dedicated first to study the Mayors only. Then I stepped to the Minor Arcana. I felt really overwhelmed, and just like you, I didn't knew where to begin. I bought thousands of books, but the ones that really hit me where Mary's ones, although there are many other excelent ones I found as referral here in AT. And also Joan Bunning's web site. I also began drawing a card for myself for one day, and see how the card applied to my life that given day. I read the traditional meaning of that card, and then tryed to feel it in my life. That worked wonders for me.
I wish you the best in your learning process, and have fun!!

magpie9

I suggest a combination of the story line for each element, and number keywords generated not from numerology, but from what you myself notice about each number, over time. For instince, for me, RWS 5's are always some kind of crisis, 6's always give you what you need, 8's are always about movement, or the lack of it. That way there is a fall back idea that you have created for yourself when you blank ---and we all blank sometimes---that gets you back on track again.

Aerin

This is why I started with an RWS because the pictures are right there in front of me.

Mary Greer's books really helped me, especially the Tarot Reversals and Tarot Courts ones from the Llewellyn series. But then I'm a books girl.

I also did the old Barnes and Noble Tarot course, based on the online Joan Bunning course and the book. Another really useful approach.

But some people seem better with just the deck.

Depends on the person.

Aerin