Strong affinity to Selenite?

Furnacechant

I'm usually only a kind of half-believer in crystal energy, though I think they make excellent focal points for magickal use and, being also something of an animist, they could in some cases have a spirit of their own. Most crystals, however beautiful, I can feel at most a kind of impersonal energy from them which varies slightly with the kind of stone. Selenite, however, which is one I didn't think I'd like much since it's so soft and delicate and rather ephemeral, seems incredibly potent for me and almost alive, like you could have a conversation with it( in fact I kind of have). I have two pieces of it, one small carved 'worry stone' I picked up on a whim at a local metaphysical shop( the clerk actually commented, "Wow! That stone is HAPPY!" as I had her ring it up) and keep in my cell-phone pouch so it's always handy, the other is a 3 1/2 inch sphere I bought, again on a sudden whim, after reading the thread on crystal balls here at Aeclectic. Every time I handle either of these I find myself slipping very easily into a meditative state and often having quite vivid yet often soothing visions, to the point where if I didn't know better I'd almost think the things were hallucinogenic. The sphere has also let me know it quite definitely wants me to sculpt it a base in the form of a black scorpion, which seems at first glance rather at odds with the sparkly white softness of it, but does make a certain amount of sense in that scorpions have often been my animal guides in meditation before and Scorpio is my moon sign( that ball *does* look rather like the moon, come to think of it). Perhaps also it forms a kind of balance, like Yin & Yang or something? On its own it feels, though wonderful, a little over-the-top, so maybe a base like that would help give it some directedness. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else had this kind of strong affinity with this stone?

MCsea

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=83928&highlight=selenite

is a thread where many of us posted about Selenite

Selenite was named after the Selene - goddess of the moon
http://www.theoi.com/Titan/Selene.html
SELENE was the Titan goddess of the moon. She was depicted as a woman either riding side saddle on a horse or in a chariot drawn by a pair of winged steeds. Her lunar sphere or crescent was represented as either a crown set upon her head or as the fold of a raised, shining cloak. Sometimes she was said to drive a team of oxen and her lunar crescent was likened to the horns of a bull. Selene's great love was the shepherd prince Endymion. The beautiful boy was granted eternal youth and immortality by Zeus and placed in a state of eternal slumber in a cave near the peak of Lydian Mount Latmos. There his heavenly bride descended to consort with him in the night

I tend to keep my Selenite close to my bed head :D

MARINA

sharpchick

My selenite sphere was the first sphere I purchased and it is still my favorite. I also have a selenite spar about 3.5 inches tall and never tire of turning it over and over in my hands. Selenite seems to me to warm to skin temperature very quickly.

elenamhs

I too am a lover and collecter of selenite otherwise known as gypsum or sodium sulfate. It crystalizes in long needle fibers and thus is fiber optic in nature. It seems to me that it transmits energy down those fibers, so I aquired a long thin piece for just $9 at a rock shop and made a wand out of it. It "writes" energy out of the tip. When I showed it to my sensitive friend, she wept with joy at how well it works.

When I first saw selenite I just was immediately attracted to it and began collecting different shapes: eggs, obelisks, wands, rosettes which is a natural crystalline form(Desert Rose). The selenite can actually form in a natural wand shape which transmits less light and energy out of the end, or alternatively a larger piece (log) can be split like a cedar log into wand shaped strips which are quite powerful. [It also naturally forms into puddle like shapes.]

Selenite is fairly easily worked so you can tool it into shapes like spheres, eggs, pyramids, obelisks, and spiraled wands--these can be found in nice rock shops already tooled for you.. Or you can get a big log or a strip, and try it yourself. A dremel tool helps. And of course sand paper.

The trick is to find something that can really polish it afterwards to give it its moonstone-like depth of light. Otherwise it looks pretty chalky. Nylon stocking net is the best I have found but perhaps a professional would know the best way to do it. You have to start with a fairly well sanded piece which will look chalky, then use the nylon stocking net and some water.

Protect your hands from the needles and your lungs from the dust which is irritating to them.

I have scratched and or damaged enough pieces and have done my best to correct my mistakes and set things right again. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You really must be careful with finished pieces since even a fingernail can scratch your nice polished surface...and you must be very careful in transporting {keep it wrapped and away from other crystals during transit} and storing selenite. Damp air can make a nice straight wand bend with the gravity, so it should be stored supported.

Selenite is useful and effective in gridding your house, but put out in the elements it will dissolve. [what a pity!!]

I use one of the selenite tea light candle holders to cleanse my other crystals since you can put your crystals on top of it in the line of fire of the grain of the selenite, and thus cleanse them. That is a particularly beautiful and useful item. This also works well as a crystal ball holder.

Best wishes,