Meteorite!

Le Fanu

There´s a crystal shop near where I work and they sell these packaged meteorites; the look like lumps of black resin. Not at all natural.

My questions is; are they likely to be fake? I just found myelf suspicious seeing them all packaged up in plastic bags and looking like plastic!

Also; what properties do they have? Is 10 euros a decent price for a pieece of meteoriste? Are they useful to have?

Disa

is it black or dark green? Moldavite is what came to mind. If that's what it is, yes it's pretty expensive.

HearthCricket

I found a piece of meteorite in my garden when I was little and I wish I still had it, but I sold it along with the rest of my rock/mineral collection in the early 80's, never expecting to be entranced by stones again. I was simply turning my plot when I came across it and showed it to my father. We had no idea what it was, but it was very drab grey, not at all shiny, and a very irregular pattern to it, with some holey areas. After going through field guides and trying to ID it, my father brought it to a geologist who confirmed it with an astronomist and said it was a meteorite. I have no idea what the properties are since they are from out of this world and much of their original properties are burned away, but they are amazingly cool to have!

The crowned one

Sounds like a tektite rather then a mereorite. I collect meterorites and they do not come in lttle palstic bags, but black common(ish) tektites do. They are actually made from "earth" at a large impact site in my opinion...it varies, some still say they formed here on earth under great pressure. Really they are just natural glass in the simpilist of terms. The Australasian Strewn Field is known for black ones.

I believe some people think they can protect you from evil.

Le Fanu

..they are completely black. As black as coal, but with lots of tiny - almost imperceptible - perfurations on the surface like a sponge. They were on a rotating stand all packaged up and not looking at all like natural artefacts! Packaged and distributed in Spain, and I know from visits to Spain that there´s a massive esoteric industry there. I see lots of Spanish esoteric products here in Portugal.

I don´t know why, I just found myself a bit doubtful...

But, yes, it would be cool to have one. If anything brings cosmic vibrations with it, a meteorite would....

But thanks for all the info. Hearthcricket, what an amazing story. And how you must regret that!!

HearthCricket

Le Fanu said:
But thanks for all the info. Hearthcricket, what an amazing story. And how you must regret that!!

Very much so. But alas...we cannot always see down the road! At least now it is with a rockhound, or at least was. I guess it is now making its own cosmic travel around the earth! I always have this strange feeling it will show up in ebay or somewhere! In the meantime, I can always hope to find another one!! But I doubt it!

fina

Le Fanu said:
..they are completely black. As black as coal, but with lots of tiny - almost imperceptible - perfurations on the surface like a sponge.
!

Does it have a dumbbell shape? That is very characteristic of a tektite. Tektites are melted Earth that is thrown up into the atmosphere during a meteorite impact and rapidly cool leaving glass and no crystals. You can find meteorites and tektites for really good prices on ebay. Many come from China where there are many impacts.

Le Fanu

They were all different shapes. Not big at all. just the size of a small pebble. They cost 10 euros... I don´t know how much they are on ebay...

fina

10 euros seems pretty expensive... but it depends on the quality and how nice they are.