a question about the Page vs. the Prince Princess

samiam010203

im wondering with a book i have that describes the tarot card meanings it is based on the Rider-waite tarot. so they give the meanings for the page, knight, queen, king. im using the Liber T deck which has the prince, princess, queen, king.

what i would like to know is is it true that you can use the meaning for the page to represent the meaning of the prince princess cards?

or should i use the book of thoth as a study aid for the liber t deck as opposed to the current book based on the RW called "Easy Tarot: Learn to Read the Cards Once and For All!" by josephine Ellershaw?

thanks for any help,
samiam010203

Faolainn Storm

It is not uncommon for the court cards to be renamed. Many authors don't like the hierarchy implicit in these titles so have renamed them. In the Thoth system Princess = RWS Page. There is also debate over whether Thoth Prince = RWS Knight or King. I have read several different opinions on this, but I am not a student of the Thoth system, so I can't comment on it. Perhaps someone else here (or in the Thoth section of the forum) will be able to explain.

Among the many, many other variations of the court titles you will find:
RWS King = Father, Lord, Chief, Patriarch, Master, God, Man, Sage, Shaman,
RWS Queen = Mother, Lady, Matriarch, Mistress, Woman, Sibyl, Prietess,
RWS Knight = Son, Prince, Warrior, Seeker, Brother, Man,
RWS Page = Daughter, Princess, Lady, Servant, Maiden, Novice, Child, Seeker, Sister,

You also find "non-human" titles (for want of a better word) such as: (in RWS King, Queen, Knight, Page order) Resolving, Creating, Awakening, Innocence or Speaker, Gift, Knower, Place

When you think about it, with name changes like this, it's no wonder the courts are the hardest cards to learn!

Faolainn Storm

Shade

Since the Liber T is based heavily on the Thoth you may want to read up on the Thoth interpretation of Knights (which). Mary Greer's Understanding the Tarot Court goes into the differences between the two systems very well but the aspect I most remember that separates a RWS King and the Thoth Knight is that the knight has a much more dynamic, sexual, active energy than the King and that this colors the interpretation of Thoth decks.

samiam010203

thanks for all the info guys/gals. :)