Is it possible to have a primary sign traits with secondary sign tendencies?

JustLearningTarot

Is it possible to be a confused Cancer, thinking I am somewhat a Leo too? Does being born near the end of a sign date range bring in influences of the next preceeding sign?

I was born on the 20th of July, I have been a Cancer very much (I like being a cave dweller as my wife calls me, more comfortable in my home then anywhere else), but have a lot of the Leo traits as well (my mother was a Leo - very much a Leo).

When I read the traits of a Leo, I find I also meet them as well as a Cancer, so feel a bit mixed in between. I read the rest of the signs and just dont feel a connection as strongly as I do when I take some from Cancer and some from Leo.

Is this possible? Like my wife was born at the begining of Cancer time, is considered a Cancer, but is very much a Gemini/Cancer mix. Am I off base here? Would a "True" cancer be born in the exact middle of the "Cancer time" and as the dates progress towards the next sign, take more of a mixture from each of them, having dominance of the initial/main sign, but traits of the coming sign as well?

Does this question make sense?

Furnacechant

I have often heard that is the case, actually...Personally I'm only about three days earlier than you, but very much Cancerian. Then again, I've got multiple water signs in the rest of my chart backing it up...

GenoviaJ

I think its the rising sign that give you - most of your personality traits. At least that has been my experience.

Melanchollic

GenoviaJ is right, according to the tradition, the Rising Sign (which is determined by birth-time) is a strong indicator of outward character. Of course, the whole chart must be considered, the other planets, their house rulerships, the houses in which they reside, the signs in which they reside, proximity to certain powerful fixed stars, receptions, aspects, syncretic considerations like the Arabian parts... blah blah blah... It boggles the mind.

If you don't mind dishing out a little money, get a professional natal reading. Christopher Warnock and Benjamin Dykes or two well known and respected scholars and practitioners of the craft. The other option is learning it yourself, and it would take a few years, and some committed studying, and again, money for instruction and texts, before you could correctly interpret a natal chart.

:CL Cheers,

R
a
H

rcb30872

Yes, definitely get an idea where the other planets on the zodiac are. For instance, I am a Virgo sun sign, Capricorn rising, and Taurus moon, and then there are times when I am a bit like a Leo. I have my Mercury in Leo. My birthday is say within a week towards Leo, but not really a cusp.

faunabay

Another person with the same thing!! My sun sign is Cancer. And my rising sign is Leo!! I connect extremely well with both. I find neither one completely describes me by itself. I have to look at both!!

JustLearningTarot

Well that makes much sense then, thank you all for the answers.

Starling

There is another answer for the Cancer/Leo situation as well as having the Sun in one sign and the Moon and/or Ascendant in the other.

Your Cancer Sun will progress into Leo during your lifetime. Depending on what degree the Cancer Sun is in, that progression can happen very early in your life.

There are multiple ways to progress a chart, but whether you are using the day = a year or the degree = a year method, the Sun will move into the next sign in no more than 30 years. As an example, my natal 5 degree Taurus Sun is now at 9 degrees Cancer using either method. I will be 67 in April. So although I started out as an early Taurus, I have progressed through Gemini and am now in Cancer. I'm sure that the Cancer progressed Sun is affecting how people perceive me.

GoddessArtemis

Starling said:
Your Cancer Sun will progress into Leo during your lifetime. Depending on what degree the Cancer Sun is in, that progression can happen very early in your life.
That's a good point about progression into other signs. I'm a Pisces sun but have been told most my life that I come across as an Aries (most don't believe I'm a Pisces). I also have my Mercury in Aries, which doubles the impact of the Aries-like personality people think I project..and I think that's why they get confused when I show emotions (watery ones), because that's so "unlike" me - they say. I have a Scorpio rising, which most pick up on when they first meet me, but then they get confused by my Sagittarius moon. :p It's fun to keep people guessing..and yet, in close relationships, this gets sticky as people can't understand whether you're coming or going, so they misunderstand you and can act accordingly.

I have a friend who's birthday is on the cusp of Gemini/Cancer, and she claims she's more of a Cancer than a Gemini. My impression is that she's really much more like a Gemini, with hints of Cancer. We disagree on this, but it's okay...I can think she's wrong in my head. :p

A lot of it depends on the rest of your chart, too, as others say.

GA

Melanchollic

Hi GoddessArtemis,

Your choice of Avatar certainly shows a passionate 'fiery' aspect to your temperament.

I'm on the Gemini/Cancer cusp, and in contrast to my melancholic 'nom de plume', I lean more toward the sanguine 'airiness' of Gemini. The more orthodox minded Astrologers, like John Frawley, dismiss the 'cusp theory' outright as nonsense, but popular 'Personology' astrologer Gary Goldschneider's description of The Gemini/Cancer "Cusp of Magic", as he calls it, fits me to a 'T' (Affectionate, Seductive, Objective, Isolated, Selfish, Demanding). Of course, the 'airy' qualities, like being "objective", could be due to my Ascendent's position in energetic and fun-loving Aquarius. The "isolated, selfish" side could be due to stuffy ol' Saturn, the ruler of Aquarius, being in moody Pisces, yet is still in the First House. (My First House is straddling Aquarius and Pisces, giving Saturn extra "oomph"!) The "affectionate" part could be from sensual Venus frolicking in the 'House of Pleasure' (5th). And my "seductive" nature could be explained by crafty Mercury being but two degrees off my Venus in the 5th, giving me an almost hypnotic ability to charm and 'sweet-talk' my way out of any trouble (or 'sweet-talk' my way into all sorts of trouble, of a particular 'venusian' flavor. ;) ). The fascinating thing is that both approaches undeniably seem to be giving a fairly accurate description of my character!

:CL Cheers,

R
a
H