Writing a comparsion essay about the tarot and the oracle....

Yellow_Munky

Do you think this is a good idea? It has to be from 4-5 pages. Do you think there is a lot to talk about? Whether or not, do you know of a good book where it only talks about the tarot and another only talks about the oracle?

I have found quite a few books on the tarot but so far for the oracle.....not really.....just a few pages about it......I think mostly contained pictures.

what would you recommend? :D

Faolainn Storm

Which oracle? You say *the* oracle, but there are lots and lots of different oracles.
Are you referring to one in particular or oracles in general? Because oracles in general is a very broad topic. There are card oracles, stone oracles, stick oracles, etc. Each is different, has different techniques, gives different answers.
I am assuming that you have been asked to write a comparative essay as a school (uni, college, etc) project. It would be possible to write an essay (or a book, or even several books! :D) on the differences between tarot and oracles. But perhaps a better comparison would be between two different styles of tarot, such as the Marsellies tradition vs the RWS tradition.

Just a thought,
Faolainn Storm

Yellow_Munky

Faolainn Storm said:
Which oracle? You say *the* oracle, but there are lots and lots of different oracles.

Oh, oops. ^^;; I meant an oracle deck versus a tarot deck.

Faolainn Storm said:
But perhaps a better comparison would be between two different styles of tarot, such as the Marsellies tradition vs the RWS tradition.

Hmm......this does sounds like a good idea and this is a college essay......^^;;...unfortunately....

Knight of Wands

I'd recommend doing the TdM vs RWS - you can then bring in historical changes etc.

Don't forget quotes and scholarships ;)

Yellow_Munky

Knight of Wands said:
I'd recommend doing the TdM vs RWS - you can then bring in historical changes etc.

Don't forget quotes and scholarships ;)

lol I won't. I guess I might do on tdm vs rws, but then I have to do a lot of research on it since I don't know much about it.....^^;;

Cerulean

You might try Tarot and I-Ching as 'historical oracles?'

Maybe that would be simple enough, to compare historically.

Or perhaps you might look at more simply...

Reading Playing Cards

Reading Tarot

Using Astrology

and there might be research or books that seem very good in describing what is done...and you can find out the differences for your paper.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Disa

I think your initial idea of the difference between tarot decks and oracle decks would be ok. IT seems to me you could fill up 4 to 5 pages on it pretty easily, whereas the difference between the RWS and the Marsailles decks might take a lot more pages than that to discuss.