The Beloved and Battered Deck...

HearthCricket

I keep hearing about everyone's well-used, beloved and battered decks and think it would be fun to see some photos of these! My three from my younger years (1JJ Swiss, Sacred Rose and Gypsy Witch) have long since been battered, passed on or tossed and replaced. Right now none of my decks are battered, but I am working on it! I have a Madame Endora and a Gilded that are getting quite the workout!

So, anyone willing to share pics of those lovely well-used decks for the rest of us to inspire to? :D

Silverlotus

I only have one battered deck, and even then it is still in fairly good shape.

The Aquarian Tarot was my first deck, and I used it exclusively for about 3 years. The box pretty much fell apart and, even though I was sure it was still around, I can't find it now.

You can see a picture of the deck here.

The edges of the cards are in bad shape, and a few have started to peel. In fact, the 10 of Swords is actually missing a layer from the top left corner. The deck has also discoloured badly, probably due to the fact that it is over 15 years old now.

lilith_in_tree

Very nice idea for a thread-- and Silverlotus, your Aquarian just brought back a huge rush of memories for me! My best friend has a battered Aquarian just like that, he used to read with it for me all the time when we were at college, and those moments are what got me started with tarot. I used to love shuffling that deck, it was so soft and broken-in :D
Does anyone have a photo of a deck they've broken a la Umbrae? I'd love to see some!

HearthCricket

That brings back warm and happy memories, SilverLotus! And many a good reading, too, I am guessing! The Aquarian is certainly a classic!! I so wish I had kept my first few decks! Thank you for sharing. :)

HearthCricket

Wow...Roppo, that is great! Look at those boxes. So vintage! :D

Master_Margarita

lilith_in_tree said:
Does anyone have a photo of a deck they've broken a la Umbrae? I'd love to see some!

I could take one, but I think you'd be disappointed. "Breaking" the deck doesn't have to make the cards look any different, just feel better in one's hands, shuffle more easily, prevent nasty bending and creasing accidents, etc.

I've broken, or tempered, as I prefer to think of it, all my decks except my Magic Realist Press ones (as I understand it, the cardstock used in the VR and BG doesn't need that sort of treatment). I have very few decks, mind you.

:heart: M_M~

afrosaxon

Well...a few cards in my New Orleans Voodoo Tarot have been creased (due to shuffling) to the point that I reinforced them with clear packing tape.

(*ducks head to avoid tomatoes thrown by preservation purists*)

I've attached images of the fronts and backs of those cards...you can really see the creases on the backs.

T.

Attachments

• repaired cards.JPG
    repaired cards.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 211
  • repaired cards -- backs.JPG
    repaired cards -- backs.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 179

starrystarrynight

My Quest deck is getting a little frayed and battered around the edges. It's also losing some color around the edges. Couple of creases here and there, as well.

I have a lot of acid in my hands, though (half the letters on my keyboard are already worn off, and this laptop is not much more than a year old.) So, that may account for the bleaching of my decks. :)

.traveller.

I'd post mine but y'all would be horrified. My two oldest are pretty ratty.