Opals help please

flicker

been reaquainted with my rough opal pendant. I am thinking different colours mean different things. outside is black has some green, blue and red flecks in it also some white. I keep thinking about getting it tumbled but wouldnt know where to look or prices.
would someone be able to give me some understanding of opals please?

thanks

cybercat

opal help

I am pulling from 3 books here.

hardness 5.5-6.5
composition:silica with some water ( not a stone I would tumble to soft)
Opals occures in 2 distint varieties-precious opal and common opal. Both are cut as gemstones. Precious displays the rainbow iridescence so highly prized in jewerly. Common opal shows a wide range of colors and patterns but no iridescence because it lacks the regular fine structure of precious opal. Opal because of there water content should not be allowed to dry out. If stored uncut they should be stored in water. See a gemologist about the quality of you opal. They can also recomend who to send it to for cutting.

Opals most popular folklore legend is it is called the Cupids stone, a stone of love and romance and a stone to grant wishesand personal happiness.

flicker

Thank you cybercat for looking for me. I am grateful to have found the opal and what you have said does resonate with me. I dont know so much about romance as I am lacking time and enjoying being romanced by tarot lol for it but if something should turn up then great. wishes makes a lot of sense with the spirts I am working with.

HearthCricket

I have some polished pink opal and they are lovely, but I know I have to be careful as they are a very soft and porous stone. I also have my eye on a lovely pale yellow one....so tempting! :D

Briar Rose

that is an awesome blue Peruvian Opal Angel. It's an expensive stone.

I got a good deal on some loose beads at the bead show, and an antique pendant, a few years back.

Yahhh, today is my first pic I am sending in quite awhile to ya'll. Yippy do da!

Here it is: