tarot reputation takes another hit :(

Pook

per yahoo news:

Yahoo! News said:
Pair charged in tarot card curse scheme
1 hour, 9 minutes ago

NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Authorities say the owners of a suburban Chicago tarot-card reading business have been charged in an alleged plan to defraud customers by persuading them they were cursed.

The DuPage County sheriff's office says customers of Psychic Tarot Card Reading thought they could only lose the curse by undergoing thousands of dollars worth of counseling.

Tracy Tan is charged with eight felony counts, including theft, forgery and possession of fraudulent identification. Eric Tan is charged with felony possession of fraudulent ID.

They were being held at the county jail Monday in lieu of $750,000 bail each. They're scheduled to appear in court April 7.

The business, located in an unincorporated area near Naperville, is not listed.

Promise

Wow.

That's just...wow.

People like this are the reason the rest of us have to fight so hard just to prove that we're honest and not just out to make a buck. Ya know, I can think of a lot more efficient ways to make fast money than by being a professional Tarot reader.

*sighs* Just one more thing for us to have to fight, now.

Chronata

If this is the place I'm thinking of...then I know it.

Never been in there myself, but been past it many times. It's a neon sign in a house window, and has some really weird vibes.

I would never set foot in that place.

My friend did some years ago.

He got a reading for 20 bucks, and then the reader told him that he desperately needed to "clear his chakras", and that she could do it for around 250 bucks.
(He politely declined, and I gave him a book on chakras for Christmas that year.}

Seems like their scam got bigger over the years.

Chronata

Reading it again, the charges seem almost unrelated to the scam itself. It doesn't say that the scammers were the ones doing the "counceling"

but I imagine Identity theft might have been one of their goals. and it's still despicable to tell anyone that they were cursed.

HearthCricket

This is a pity because it really does give tarot and tarot readers and any store or place that promotes or sponsers it a bad name. Unfortunately for as many honest and good readers that are out there, there seems to be about a dozen worth of scammers of some sort and it is hard to weed out who is who when someone goes for a reading.

MoonLitCrystal

What a shame. Like Chronata said, the charges seem unrelated to the whole scam thing, but then again we don't know the whole story. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a "psychic" tell me that I need "cleansing," "crystal therapy," or the like for "only $500" I'd be rich.

TwinMoons

It's a shame that this scam will be associated with Tarot. Some of my friends think Tarot is a complete scam to begin with, stuff like this only makes it worse.

rabidwolfie

Quite honestly, scams similar to this have been going on for so long I'm amazed anyone still falls for them.

A "psychic" of some calling or other is called upon because of a run of bad luck. "Oh my goodness! Someone has put a curse on you! Quick, give me all of your money (either the excuse to burn it, bury it, or as payment for some outragous "cure" or other) & I'll do my best to remove the curse!"

There was once even a serial killer who would brew a "magical potion" that was to remove all curses & evil spirits but was actually a poison that killed his victems while he ran off with thier money. Sad really.

Alamaris

Oh good grief, not another one.

I always back out politely when a practitioner offers something not related to the "treatment" (whether it be a reading or otherwise) that I went in for. I clearly recall taking a light course in some healing modality, and went through the following conversation.

Me: So I liked this level one class. Thanks!
Her: Oh wonderful! I can initiate you into a much higher level for $800!
Me: What do you mean by...initiate?

After we got around to it, I determined that I was essentially paying $800 for a certificate, and buggered off. T'was a shame, because she was a lovely person in general, but I was suspicious of her after that incident.

It seems the public waffles between distrust and gullibility these days.

6 Haunted Days

Alamaris said:
It seems the public waffles between distrust and gullibility these days.

These days? Haven't they always? Just human nature.