have you ever inherited cards?

moosebouse

hi, newbie here,

ok, so I never really got into tarot cards before. my mother passed away recently and i found her tarot cards when i was sorting through her knitting stash. i remember thinking, jeez, i don't want to steal my mom's tarot cards and thinking i would not take them. but a month later, when i finally started using her knitting stuff at my own house, the deck was there. so i figured it was mine. i did some research and found out this is a robin wood deck.

so i have been trying to use it a little. it seems to tell me mom like things ("do your homework" "look out for your little sister" "have a baby"). but i am clearly not very good at this. usually most of the cards i get don't make any sense to me.

how long does it take to get to know a deck and to make another person's deck your own? should the circumstances under which i acquired this make it more difficult in my case? how much of my problems here are me learning to do tarot and how much is me getting to know this particular deck?

MoonLitCrystal

I think it's very sweet that you are using your mom's cards. :love:

First of all, have confidence in yourself! Getting to know your cards and really feeling comfortable doing readings takes time. Don't think of it as "I'm not any good," think of it as "I'm at the beginning of my Tarot journey" or "I am going to learn a lot." :)

Everyone is different, so I can't say how much each factor you mentioned plays a part in your experience. In my opinion it does take time for someone to get used to a new deck, and this can throw a monkey wrench (even if it's a good monkey wrench) in the learning process. When I get a new deck it's almost as if I have to re-learn Tarot; of course I don't have to start from the beginning because I know the basic meanings, but I have to get to know that particular deck's special set of symbols and imagery.

The fact that the deck belonged to someone you were very close to also adds another dimension to it. Do you get a positive feeling when you pick up your mom's deck, or does it sort of creep you out? Do you feel comfortable using them or do you feel guilty? All of this plays a big part in how well you will adjust to the cards. If you try them for a while and find that it's just too uncomfortable for you, maybe you'll need to make the decision to stop reading with them. If you choose to, you could always come back to them at a later date.

Grizabella

I think it's wonderful that you've inherited your mom's deck and that should give you a very good and blessed start to your tarot journey. :) There's a book for the Robin Wood deck that will help you a lot if you can get it. It's called Robin Wood: The Book or something similar to that. Excellent book for the deck! It's written by the artist who did the cards and she tells all sorts of information about the symbols she's used and why, etc. I highly recommend it. Amazon sells it.

Good luck with the deck! You've come to a great place to get help with learning, make new tarot friends, and just have fun in general. :)

Chronata

wow. Your story is heartbreaking and wonderful.

I too am very sorry for your loss, but also very excited for you...as you have this wonderful tool that was hers, that you can now use to gain insight and powerful messages for yourself.

I think it's interesting that you have been getting Mom-like messages from these cards. I'm absolutely sure she is looking out for you as well.

When my Dad passed away, I noticed that I was getting very Dad-like messages from one of my oracles. It wasn't owned by him, but featured a lot of his favorite animals in it, so I wasn't surprised.
I feel a connection to him every time I use it now.

Welcome to the forum, and to the amazing new journey!

shadowdancer

I did not inherit the cards. (I am the only person into anything remotely different as tarot in my family! :( )

And as such I have nobody to pass them onto either. This I find sad, but I do believe the cards will find the person they are to be with in the long run anyway

I think it is great to hear though how they have been passed down. All those wonderful energies from years gone by helping the new owner

Davina

firefrost

Oh, I'd love to inherit a deck from a loved one, but it's not going to happen!

My mum never wanted 'them evil things' in her house and pretended my sister and I had no interest either.

I have two daughters, neither of whom are slightly interested now and if that doesn't change, I'll try and sort out new owners for them myself when I hang up my decks.

ajetron

Firefrost, I'd like to inherit a deck too. My great grandmother on my mother's side didn't use Tarot but playing cards. A few years back I asked my mother about getting a hold of them, one of her [my mothers'] cousins has it and I just never persisted on having them in my possession.

celticnoodle

moosebouse said:
hi, newbie here,

ok, so I never really got into tarot cards before. my mother passed away recently and i found her tarot cards when i was sorting through her knitting stash. i remember thinking, jeez, i don't want to steal my mom's tarot cards and thinking i would not take them. but a month later, when i finally started using her knitting stuff at my own house, the deck was there. so i figured it was mine. i did some research and found out this is a robin wood deck.

so i have been trying to use it a little. it seems to tell me mom like things ("do your homework" "look out for your little sister" "have a baby"). but i am clearly not very good at this. usually most of the cards i get don't make any sense to me.

how long does it take to get to know a deck and to make another person's deck your own? should the circumstances under which i acquired this make it more difficult in my case? how much of my problems here are me learning to do tarot and how much is me getting to know this particular deck?
wow! what a lovely story, moosebouse, though I am sorry about your mother. I think it is a gift from your mom, and I hope you will continue to use them! do not allow the time it takes to 'learn the tarot' make you stop--as you never completely are finished with learning. As soon as you have one thing mastered, a new idea will pop in your head for a card that you never before thought of. It's a beautiful path to learning and enjoying the tarot, and all it has to offer us and others.

at first it will not make much sense to you, and this is normal. keep at it, and quite frankly, you've come to a great place to help you get to know your deck and others too. be sure to check out the different sites, and share your experiences with all of us along the way. as for the circumstances under which you aquired your deck--it will not make it more difficult--maybe it'll make it easier for you, as you get to know this deck, you are also learning about another part of your mother that you did not know! this is a very special gift that she left for you, I think! So, welcome! And thank you for sharing your story of your beautiful inheritance!

rabidwolfie

That would be nice to inherit a tarot deck from my mom. I was the one that gave my mother her first deck as a present. She kept asking me to do readings for her, so I bought her a deck of her own. It was Tarot of the Cat People. (I've since bought a second one for myself)
Saddly, my mother & I are not on talking terms, so it seems unlikely that I'll get her deck when the inevitable comes, but the sentimentality of the thought is nice.