Bridging the divide

Aoife

Can we back up a bit?

What do therapists and tarot readers have in common?
Are we agreed that -
- both hope that their interaction with the querent/client will be helpful to them?
- both believe that with guidance the client/querent has the ability to help themselves.

Is there anything that tarot readers can teach therapists?
A great deal…. but that’s not the focus of our concerns right now.

Are there any therapeutic ideas, knowledge, skills, practices… that could be useful to tarot readers?
Yes…imho, and that’s what this sub-forum intends to explore?

In broad terms, a tarot reading delivers information to the querent…. the beneficial effects of which may be immediate and/or become more apparent later with time for them to process it. But generally speaking, they’re left to do that alone.

In broad terms, therapeutic tarot implies a three-way interaction - between cards, reader and querent. The querent is encouraged to talk about the thoughts and feelings provoked by or elicited from the cards. In so doing, they give the reader information about their current state of mind and feelings, and more subtle information about their personal ‘map’ and strategies for dealing with issues.

The reader acts as an interpreter and guide. As the querent wanders through the new territory [the tarot cards], they see similarities with other places they have been, places where they have learned things, been inspired, places that have brought disquiet, sadness, fear… and unknown places that offer the hope of something new.

In therapeutic tarot the reader does not read the cards in isolation. They must also factor in the information that the client proffers. Metaphorically speaking, we move from a two-dimensional spread of cards into a three dimensional image showing areas of emphasis, fault-lines, shadows, paths well-trod, and so on. Its unique, complicated… because people are.

Many here have expressed concern that they are not specifically trained to interpret a querent’s personal map. And for that reason, legalities aside, I entirely agree that it would be a mistake for readers to promote themselves as therapists. Perhaps we need to find another label… or maybe develop our own terminology?

But - labels aside - I firmly believe that there are many readers here who have tremendous ability, experience and wisdom making them ideally equipped to have a therapeutic relationship with the querent. Sure, there are those who’re either not suited or suitable to be working in this way, but they will tend to filter themselves out either through inclination or because, quite frankly, its too much effort. As for those with malign-intent, there is nothing we can do to stop them other than sound whatever alarm bells are available.

Research into how people learn…. and hence are able to use information, suggests that it is very small percentage that learn best from being passive recipients of information. Research suggests that people learn best, and are hence more able to use information, when they have actively participated.

I would challenge people to find a suitable querent to give it a try.

Alison Cross

Hi Aiofe - I've already posted this on the other thread, but this seems like a great place to ask the questions again:

1 Can (should?) Tarotists learn to take an adequate case history if they want
to work in this way?

2 Would a Tarot Therapist work in a series of consultations with the sitter or
should each session aim to stand alone, complete in and of itself?

AX

memries

Bringing love, compassion and an effort to understand your fellow human beings is about all you can offer. Wrong decisions are made by people and they get to live out the consequences. To say anyone knows the answers is not correct. People have trouble seeing through their own illusions. All you can do is to try to help them and that is if they want the help. Some do not and are quite content in their misery.

The Tarot cards may be a path unfolding that you can spot and see but they are not the end word in what may happen. Only the querant has the options available if they take them to change that path.

Therapy is supposed to be a healing modality. Tarot is possibly the same thing on a different level. There are other healing modalities as well but I believe Tarot taps into the self healing areas and if someone is willing they can go a long way with Tarot and other regimes to come to understanding. You can never change someone, only they can do that. As I said, love and compassion and possibly some direction is all you can really bring.

tmgrl2

Aoife said:
In broad terms, therapeutic tarot implies a three-way interaction - between cards, reader and querent. The querent is encouraged to talk about the thoughts and feelings provoked by or elicited from the cards. In so doing, they give the reader information about their current state of mind and feelings, and more subtle information about their personal ‘map’ and strategies for dealing with issues.

The reader acts as an interpreter and guide. As the querent wanders through the new territory [the tarot cards], they see similarities with other places they have been, places where they have learned things, been inspired, places that have brought disquiet, sadness, fear… and unknown places that offer the hope of something new.

In therapeutic tarot the reader does not read the cards in isolation. They must also factor in the information that the client proffers. Metaphorically speaking, we move from a two-dimensional spread of cards into a three dimensional image showing areas of emphasis, fault-lines, shadows, paths well-trod, and so on. Its unique, complicated… because people are.

Many here have expressed concern that they are not specifically trained to interpret a querent’s personal map. And for that reason, legalities aside, I entirely agree that it would be a mistake for readers to promote themselves as therapists. Perhaps we need to find another label… or maybe develop our own terminology?

But - labels aside - I firmly believe that there are many readers here who have tremendous ability, experience and wisdom making them ideally equipped to have a therapeutic relationship with the querent. Sure, there are those who’re either not suited or suitable to be working in this way, but they will tend to filter themselves out either through inclination or because, quite frankly, its too much effort. As for those with malign-intent, there is nothing we can do to stop them other than sound whatever alarm bells are available.

Research into how people learn…. and hence are able to use information, suggests that it is very small percentage that learn best from being passive recipients of information. Research suggests that people learn best, and are hence more able to use information, when they have actively participated.

I would challenge people to find a suitable querent to give it a try.

Beautifully said, Aoife!

You also mentioned in your other thread (if I'm not mistaken) the divinatory aspects...I hate to leave that out as an important aspect. Perhaps not the primary focus or goal, but certainly a part of Tarot Readings....I don't expect a therapist or psychotherapist or psychiatrist to be "prophetic" in their interactions (although, they have been at times!), but many people who come for readings do expect some element of the "psychic" to be present in the interaction...even when or if we emphatically attempt to say

...I am not a psychic.

I don't say that now, but in the past have said it when people who haven't met me focus on expectiations in that area...even before they come for a reading.

ter

The crowned one

How much therapy can we do as tarot readers? I have no set opinion yet.

I read all the therapy study group posts daily, but lack the time to respond. I am enjoying everyones posts!

Edited for clarity.

Verdi

I have done a course in a masterprogram in business, in coaching. The course was lead by a psychologist. Interestlingly we didn't use the usaul text books. The whole course was geared around such litterateur as Dantes inferno, Shakespears Othello, Machievelii, Faust etc. Coaching scenarios were taken from the early italian states and their infighting/jostling for power. I wish i had Tarot then, I could have used it as well. Best course I've ever taken. :)

Verdi.

Debra

Mary, are you doing research for a book on this topic? Is that why we have all these threads and questions coming up seemingly out of nowhere?

Teheuti

Debra said:
Mary, are you doing research for a book on this topic? Is that why we have all these threads and questions coming up seemingly out of nowhere?
No. I have no plans to write a book on this subject. I've only used the word therapy in my books as part of terms like aromatherapy or Gestalt Therapy (3 times total in _21 Ways_). It's not a word I use to talk about my work in tarot. I did mention therapeutic tarot in my blog because I was tracking down how people described their tarot practice on the internet.

I lobbyed Solandia to create a board where healing arts professionals and tarot readers could talk about both tarot and psychology and could discuss the interrelationship between them. I was most interested in discussing Jungian and gestalt theories. She chose the title. I thought it was okay.

I started a couple of threads on definitions related to the Board name—mostly because I've found that misunderstandings about such core definitions create huge problems.

Mary