Question about reading "rules"

Chu'si

Is it a bad idea to do additional readings for a person when they do not specifically ask you to go beyond what they ask?

Here's the scenario: A person (an acquaintance if that makes a difference) asked me a question ("what is /blank/ trying to tell me?") and so I did a simple 3 card reading for that, the confusion/clarity spread I found here. What I got made me curious, and so I did a second reading on my own to satisfy my curiousity on why they were not talking about this particular issue.

I did let that person know I made that second reading without his permission afterwards, and he was fine with it. Since I never did this before, I don't know if that would be going outside any sort of "reading guidelines or moral code" for tarot. Your thoughts?

Mellifluous

My opinion is that your guidelines and moral codes have to be determined by you.

I probably would have presented it all as one reading, if it were me, but I'm not sure what the time frame was on the scenario you described. If it was much later, I'd probably have kept it to myself. However, it's not a big deal either way and your acquaintance said he didn't mind, so no harm, no foul.

Sinduction

There are no rules. And you didn't have to tell them about the other reading.

You will discover your own ideas for your "moral" or "ethical" preferences. I do not have any really. Some people won't read for a third party or whatever. I do it all and so far, have not been struck by lightning.

It really is up to you and what you are comfortable doing. So relax! It's ok! :D

Demon Goddess

It is your deck. It is your Tarot. It is your relationship with that deck that creates the Tarot. Without you, without the cards, there is no tarot.

You get to make your own rules.

The only rule I have as it pertains to Tarot? Let the cards tell you what they want to say.

Chu'si

Alright, thanks everyone. I'll keep all of this in mind.

Silaria

Chu'si said:
Here's the scenario: A person (an acquaintance if that makes a difference) asked me a question ("what is /blank/ trying to tell me?") and so I did a simple 3 card reading for that, the confusion/clarity spread I found here. What I got made me curious, and so I did a second reading on my own to satisfy my curiousity on why they were not talking about this particular issue.

I did let that person know I made that second reading without his permission afterwards, and he was fine with it. Since I never did this before, I don't know if that would be going outside any sort of "reading guidelines or moral code" for tarot. Your thoughts?

I've gone back and done additional readings after the fact for clarification on a subject.

Usually I'll approach the person and tell them I did it and explain why. Usually it's that something is just nagging at my subconscious regarding their question that just needed to come out and clarify the situation further. Most of the time they don't mind too much and I respect their privacy by only telling them.

Now, I only really read for friends so they are usually very cool with this. For a stranger, I'd probably let it go and not delve any deeper.

Sakura Murasaki

imho, if you're going to read for others... the important thing to remember is that the message is for the querant, not for you. No one can stop you from satisfying your own curiosity, it's human nature, and I've done those kind of extra readings before, too... Especially when I was first starting out and experimenting.

But I've learned to ask myself, "What am I trying to accomplish? Is this helping the other person, or am I only helping myself?"

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, so I want to add that I'm a sort of private person; friendly, but I keep a lot of things to myself mostly. So if someone who has read for me did an extra reading, out of curiosity and without my permission, I wouldn't want to know, or else I'd be a little miffed... If that sounds weird for a Tarot enthusiast, oh well... lol