Cards you feel you are in the middle of - BG World

Aerin

A Bohemian Gothic World experience:

Yesterday I went for a walk from Millers Dale in the Peak District (UK). Intended as a short 1 - 1/2 hr 5 mile after lunch sort of a thing.

3 1/2 hours later we got back, all in one piece but rather tired.

The thing that took us the longest was walking through a nature reserve called Monks Dale. Now, imagine if you will...

The bottom of a narrow, deep tree lined gorge where it is hard to imagine sunlight ever reaching.

At the bottom of the ravine, a stream: sometimes visible, sometimes not. The stream bed littered with fallen boulders and rocks, often covered in thick moss. (Might have been some skulls there, didn't look.)

The *cough* path (nice neat dotted line on the map). Sometimes, seemingly part of the stream bed itself. Basically a set of ankle turning rocks and mud with extra tree roots, sometimes several feet above the stream bed, often narrow, always slippy. Found this quote from another walker "This was like walking through a jungle - very overgrown and indistinct slippery paths."

It got to the stage where we considered retracing our steps, and maybe would have done had not we spied another single set of footprints going the other way. Or if the way back hadn't seemed so hellish.

Finally, finally the end seemed in sight and what did we see but..... stepping stones across the (in this part) fast running stream. (Not deep, luckily.) They were c. 2 ft tall squared off blocks of stone, just enough to balance with both feet on but toes and heels over the edges. I got onto one and my legs refused when I asked them to 'step'.... if the stream had been slightly shallower I would have paddled. I'd had just about enogh.

Anyway I got across. We then found a small notice which said something like "The path across the woodland section of Monks Dale can be tricky to traverse in wet weather" and pointed out an alternative route over the Limestone Trail. HAH! Tell me now would you?

I showed my husband the World card when we got home, and that's definitely where she was. Definitely. I have never matched a landscape so precisely before :) , not LITERALLY. (Pictures intended to represent real places don't count.)

Do you have any landscape stories to share?

Aerin

ps http://www.jdhphotography.co.uk/photo_724867.html some of the path

pps I love walking, we had all the right kit and so-on... but this is one of the hardest paths to walk I have been on (DON'T do mountaineering)

ppps my google search for the place turned up some rescues of people who turned ankles / fell on this path. Am not surprised.

MoonLitCrystal

Wow, I just looked at the World card and boy are you right! Thank you for sharing something so cool :)

I love nature walking myself, but it has to be a fairly easy walk. I'm such a klutz that I would have probably broken a million bones on that path :laugh:

6 Haunted Days

Wow what a wonderful story Aerin! I bet it was really cool being right there, expecting to see a skull stepping stone any minute ;) Did you dance ever do gracefully across the stream?

Was it kind of hazy/foggy too?

I love walking/hiking as well, and have certainly taken a stroll which turned out to be just a bit more than I expected!

SpiritOfTheDogz

Aerin said:
A Bohemian Gothic World experience:The thing that took us the longest was walking through a nature reserve called Monks Dale. Now, imagine if you will...

In my opinion the nicest dale in the peak district, I've walked it several times and each time has been different, but yet well worth the effort, and trying to keep on the footpath requires effort.

Paul

Aerin

6 Haunted Days said:
Wow what a wonderful story Aerin! I bet it was really cool being right there, expecting to see a skull stepping stone any minute ;) Did you dance ever do gracefully across the stream?

Was it kind of hazy/foggy too?

I love walking/hiking as well, and have certainly taken a stroll which turned out to be just a bit more than I expected!

I don't think I danced.... hard to do in walking boots and wet weather gear :D

But later I did find that the cruel owners of a nearby mill ellegedly disposed of some bodies of workers (children) who died away from their mill, so who knows what was beneath? No mist I'm afraid, but the quality of light down there is something else.

It is beautiful Paul, but personally I'd rather do it in the dry... bit too scary in the wet for this rather nervy girl. And no-one should attempt it without proper walking boots with some ankle support.

Here's some more pics

From above:
http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/d/22394-1/monksdale-ba30543a.jpg

bit of a bridge, stepping stones further on

http://www.mediastock.co.uk/photos/United Kingdom/Derbyshire/Tideswell/2091/details.htm

and scroll down

http://www.walkthelakes.co.uk/Walks/2006/MonksDale110606.htm

If I'd had room to think rather than concentrate on my footing then I would have taken some pics with my phone. The photo I linked in my first post is my favourite.

Aerin

ps The World is meant to get some respite after the card..... we went beforehand, but this is good http://www.diningpubs.co.uk/pub_details.asp?id=1299 A 9 of Cups moment perhaps?

SpiritOfTheDogz

Aerin said:
It is beautiful Paul, but personally I'd rather do it in the dry... bit too scary in the wet for this rather nervy girl. And no-one should attempt it without proper walking boots with some ankle support.

You certainly need good walking boots for that dale and it is easier when it's dry although I have done it in quite severe rain before and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be (I was expecting it to be really bad)

Paul

Aerin

I don't think it would feel quite as difficult next time around because I would know exactly how far the tricky section is and what to expect. That's what you get for relying on your husband and the OS map and a friendly red dotted line........ He does research walks pretty well, but didn't expect a path by a stream to be quite so challenging.

Come to think of it we pretty much had a Fool card as well: coming out of the gorge bit as you walk gently uphill there are some vertical bits of crag at the edge of the path. My nephew almost decided to explore the edge in rather too much detail :S

Aerin

memries

It looks just lovely. Your pictures were beautiful and enjoyable as well as your story. I guess as you said, be prepared for a hard slog !

A walk I remember was in The Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington, Ontario.
We did a Sister's Walk for a few nights and I won the only medal I ever won in my life as I completed the walk. I laughed !

One evening on this walk the path took us over the most amazing long wooden walkway with sides. It crossed over an immense marsh with all sorts of things in it. I liked it a lot. Getting to it was a bit tough though. I would like to go back and see it again and take my time. Our problem here in spring and in an area like that is black flies and mosquitoes, the latter are pretty big and annoying. True you wear bug spray but that does not stop them from buzzing you anyway and who knows if they still bite. Swallowing one is not much fun either......

http://www.rbg.ca/pages_sci_conserv/sci_conserv_nature2.html#Anchor-ESCARPMENT-37516

The Bruce Trail can be accessed from this area. It is very long and very famous and stretches for many miles. I have never walked any of it. A shame.

SpiritOfTheDogz

Aerin said:
That's what you get for relying on your husband and the OS map and a friendly red dotted line........ He does research walks pretty well, but didn't expect a path by a stream to be quite so challenging.

Aerin

Red dotted line, that sounds like a small scale map (1 inch to 1 mile?) no wonder you had difficulties!

In summer you'll find people walk in the stream as it is easier and not normally flowing unless it has been raining hard.

Paul

Aerin

Guys... just to bring us back on topic....cards and landscapes....

It's interesting about the map for a journey isn't it? I guess that's also in the Fool card. But however good the map, to borrow a cliche it is not the territory. No map would have shown the darn rocks and mud and generally slippery bits just as no life plan can encompass the unexpected events that fall in your way. We had a pretty decent map, Explorer 2 1/1 ins to the mile and a GPS but personally I wasn't convinced (we have used recent maps before where the paths have been pretty impassible in places, maps aren't updated as often as landscapes). We were never lost, just unsure of what the way ahead held.

It's also interesting about the season..... Spring has a newness to it, perhaps in Summer I would have been far more confident. I used the stream bed in places, and yes would have been much happier walking in it at times. I wonder if I would have come to the same conclusion about the World card though? Also, we were the only people there: in the summer more walkers perhaps and not as spooky.

memries, that looks amazing. Would you say it was a Fool's journey or something else? Bugs definitely change my experience when I'm walking, generally for the worse.

Aerin