Mercury in Pisces

PentQueen

My knowdledge of astrology is limited to a strong understanding of sun signs; don't know much of anything else. But I know I have this in my chart, and I've read that it's a detriment.

Can anyone shed some light onto any complications or benefits to this placement? Mercury governs communication, right?

Grigori

Yes, Mercury is in it Detriment and its Fall in Pisces.

Mercury rules Virgo, which is opposite Pisces, so Pisces is exactly the opposite of where Mercury would prefer to be. In Pisces, Mercury is not very strong and quite unhappy there.

How much that affects you will depend on a lot of other things of course. My Mercury is also in Pisces and I think I have a reasonably mercurial nature, so it wouldn't seem that dire. (ask my friends though, they may say different :laugh: ) Mine is strongly aspected to other planets, and well placed in the 10th House which gives some strength, so they may be saving graces perhaps.

Is your Mercury doing anything else of interest in your chart?

PentQueen

Hmmm. Very interesting, thanks similia!

My Mercury in Pisces is in the 7th house--relationships (figures ;) ) but that's about all the Mercury I have present (unless I'm missing something).

Grigori

The 7th House being an Angular house, also gives some strength to the planets in it, so that could be a good thing for your suffering Mercury. Same idea as what I said about mine in the 10th (also an angular house). (Basically the Sign makes the planet weak, but the House makes it stronger, so balances out a little)

Are there any aspects made to Mercury by other planets? Is Mars close enough to have an influence on Mercury? Mars is in its Triplicity in Pisces, so reasonably happy and strong there, and may also be in its Face or Term depening on where in Pisces. So it could be a bit of a power player, and if conjunct Mercury could be quite a saving grace for your Mercury.

If you like, PM me your birth details and I'll post a copy of your chart to this thread. I'm just starting to apply what I've learnt from Horary to other charts, and it would be good to use your Mercury as a little case study.

PentQueen

Thanks similia!

I just pm'd my birth details. I would love to hear about anything further that you might find out!

Grigori

Thanks PQ :) I've attached a small version of your chart. The news gets a little worse it seems, your poor afflicted Mercury is also retrograde, so I'd guess quite weakened, and its at the end of the 10th House, so its accidental dignity is probably not the best it could be either, though still a good place to be, so could be worse.

It is conjunct Mars, quite closely (1 degree, 36 minutes) which would put some fire in there and maybe strengthen Mercury up a bit. Of course it could just mean Mercury makes bad decisions (maybe in regards to your work situation as its in the 10th house) and Mars is not much help cause you jump in and act immediately without thinking any more about how Mercury is leading you astray :eek: (You have some other interesting stuff going on for your 10th house also, Venus on the cusp in its Face, trine to Saturn Exhalted in Libra, which in turn is conjunct Jupiter, though both retrograde.)

There aren't any really strong aspects to Mercury beside the conjuntion to Mars. It is also sort of square Uranus, though the aspect is looser at 4 degrees, and Uranus is in a water sign, rather than a fire as it should be to be a true square. Mercury is sextile the Moon and the Ascendant. Also also semisquare the midheaven.

Probably not the best placement of Mercury ever. It would be great to see how an astrologer would interpret all of that for you. Hope that helps a little.

Attachments

• pentqueen small.jpg
    pentqueen small.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 230

PentQueen

Thanks similia,

This is very interesting...a little over my head, but I think I've grasped some of it!

So just to make sure I'm getting this as a wrap-up...translation of a poorly aspected planet would indicate mental conflict & confusion for the individual?

Grigori

PentQueen said:
translation of a poorly aspected planet would indicate mental conflict & confusion for the individual?

I guess so, but that is getting beyond my knowledge. I'm still learning all the pieces via Horary, and putting it together in something like a natal chart is the next step I'm not yet really working on.

Also I am a big idiot. Mercury is not in the 10th house, its in the 11th. Your houses are very uneven, and I didn't look closely enough obviously. So the good news of Mercury being in the 10th, is actually not true at all. All bad news for your Mercury I'm afraid.

I opened the interpretations part of my software. It has this to say about your Mercury.
Solar Fire said:
MERCURY IN THE 11TH HOUSE
Communication with your friends will be important to you. You will want to share your thoughts and ideas with friends. You may also like to study with groups, or to join a group with common beliefs.

MERCURY IN PISCES
You are highly intuitive with a good imagination. You have the ability to tune into other people's thoughts. You may have difficulty distinguishing reality from fantasy. You may experience periods where you seem to disappear into a dream world before being jolted back to reality.

This doesn't take the dignities we've been discussing into context much, which I think would tend to weaken Mercury and bring out its more troublesome aspects.

So sorry.....

Sophie

I have Mercury in Pisces, also retrograde, and closely conjunct to my Pisces Sun, as well as squaring my Moon. I don't think many people who know me, however, would say I have much trouble in expressing myself ;). I also have a strong internal dialogue. I can express myself pretty emotionally and strongly at times, but my Mercury placement supports my Sun, giving me the opportunity to express who I truly am. The retrograde, I feel, has simply given me the ability to be introspective and do my autocritique when I need to.

I have Gemini rising, another help for Mercury.

I travel easily, I communicate easily, and I generally don't have many concentration problems. I am intuitive with a strong imagination. So I daresay this placement is whatever you make of it. To me, it is rather a strength than a weakness.

I am far more weakened by my agonised Pisces Saturn and by the square between Sun and Moon, which - especially in the earlier part of my life - created a lot of internal tension.

FoolToThink

I've also got mercury in my 12th house, pisces, and retrograde. (It trines pluto and semi-sextiles my aries ascendant.)

Just out of my own personal experiences, what Fudugazi said about strong internal dialog caught my eye. My head is ALWAYS going, I'm always talking to myself up there.
AND I'm sorta intuitive sometimes if I do say so...definitely have had thoughts/dreams that have happened.