Hourly rate?

Floss

What kind of hourly rate do AT folks charge on average? And what does your rate depend on? Is it better to charge less in off season times do you think?

Grizabella

I like to just read by donation. Lots of other people have a fit and say that's not right, but I feel much better doing that.

Mind you, I haven't done reading for the public for money in quite awhile. I just got started with it when other factors in my life became a Tower event that seemed like it wasn't ever going to end and that fell by the wayside, but I haven't given up hope of doing it again and again, I'll work by donation.

Sheri

I was packed full (read 5 hours straight without having break... even for the bathroom!) at a reading fair today and charged $20 for 15 minutes and $40 for 30 minutes. The guy next to me was charging $20 for the first 15 minutes and then $1/minute after that.

I like the $20/15 min and $40/30 min. I think I will always use these rates when reading.

It ROCKED :D

:love: valeria

barth

I agree with the above. Depending on the situation, I think if you've been reading a while, feel confident of your mad tarot skillz, and you're throwing a 10-12 card spread, you should be in the $60-100 per hour range.

It's important to recognize that querents usually want to spend money for a Powerful experience. Charge too little and it might seem like you're not a real tarot reader. Plus, good "return clients" will want to keep you in business too.

Of course, be prepared to refund the cash if your client seems honestly disappointed, too.

Grizabella

Someone once remarked that charging what people expect to pay for a hairdo or having their nails done at a salon is reasonable and that makes sense to me.

Demon Goddess

barth said:
I agree with the above. Depending on the situation, I think if you've been reading a while, feel confident of your mad tarot skillz, and you're throwing a 10-12 card spread, you should be in the $60-100 per hour range.

It's important to recognize that querents usually want to spend money for a Powerful experience. Charge too little and it might seem like you're not a real tarot reader. Plus, good "return clients" will want to keep you in business too.

Of course, be prepared to refund the cash if your client seems honestly disappointed, too.

Oh, now that doesn't make much sense... They don't like the reading, so you read for free?? Splain yourself Lucy... I mean Barth. :)

barth

Oops. Should have drawn that out, I guess. :) I mean if the reading seems honestly "off" and the client didn't get anything out of it, yeah, you bet, I refund. In the cases where I've refunded (not even a handful, I think) either I was out of it or the client was belligerent and I wanted to move on. I don't waste time arguing -- there are plenty of folks who are happy to pay for a tarot reader's time.

Mallah

I give music lessons out of my home, and the hourly rate is the same. I probably undercharge for that: $30/hour.