Meeting Famous People

Bartmanhomer

Is it possible to ask a question using Tarot to wish to meet famous movie star or on tv and what are the chance of that?

blackroseivy

Sure, a card or so would be plenty to give you the odds, probably. MO, anyway...

Bartmanhomer

I thought so. Thanks anyway blackroseivy.

rwcarter

It's possible to ask most any question of the tarot. Whether or not you get a valid or even accurate answer is another thing.

Going by your screen name, you apparently like the Simpsons. So you might ask the tarot, "How likely is it that I'll meet Matt Groenig in person some day?" Say you got the 3 Pentacles as a one-card answer. Would you interpret that as a "No" cause Pentacles are passive (which is often associated with No)? Or would you interpret that as a "Yes" cause 3's often represent an initial stage of completion? Or would you interpret it via the imagery on the card?

At least for me, assuming I would ask such an open-ended question (I probably wouldn't), I'd have to go in with some predefined idea of how I would interpret the card(s) as an answer.

Rodney

Bartmanhomer

What about the 9 of Cups, wouldn't that help?

rwcarter

Again, that depends on how you look at the card. Cups and Pentacles are both passive suits, so if you look at the card from that standpoint, the answer would be no. But 9s are another completion of a cycle, so numerologically you could say yes. Looking at the imagery in RWS-style decks, you could also say yes.

None of those approaches is better or worse for doing a 1 card answer. My point is that there are multiple approaches for how a single card can be used to judge the likelihood of something occurring (as opposed to using a single card to provide information or insight on something). And for me, YMMV, I would have to know which approach I'd use before I drew any cards.

Rodney

le fey

If you're not wanting to simply know the odds of randomly tripping over someone well known, but planning to put yourself into a particular situation with the purpose of meeting them and wanting to know how it might turn out, perhaps you'd do better to treat it the way you would any project - word your question 'what do I need to know to maximize the possibility of successful meeting this person?" and go from there.

Say the cards somehow show you... yes, 50/50 change that you'll meet someone famous, when that's all you're asking. Now what? You wait the whole rest of your life to half expecting them to jump out from behind every tree?

Bartmanhomer

What would you do in a situation like this, le fey?

le fey

That'd depend, like I say. I wouldn't be likely to ask about if something will just happen. But rather than just do a big hypothetical (I'm taking a trip to Hollywood and plan to go to a particular club where so and so hangs out... wonder if i'll meet X?), what's your context? Are you going to be in a situation where it seems at all likely?

Bartmanhomer

Not that I'll get lucky. But I just want to be realistic if it likely to happen. But since what you just said. Maybe, I want to meet somebody famous or maybe not.