PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabian diamonds

Grizabella
11-04-2008, 04:54
Has anyone here ever seen a Saudi Arabian diamond? I was given two of large ones in rough form. I had never known there was such a thing but I did a computer search and sure enough, they really do exist. And then of course, I have two of them to prove it.

Sophie
11-04-2008, 07:10
Where are the diamond mines in Saudi Arabia? I don't think they have any, but I'm ready to be proved wrong. On the other hand, Saudi Arabia has been a known transit place to launder blood diamonds. Where are your diamonds from, and do you have their certificates (which are compulsory nowadays)?

franniee
11-04-2008, 07:26
They are not mined - they are found loose in the desert. :) They are also not carbon based.

A saudi diamond is called a desert diamond....high grade quartz. They look like the carbon-based diamonds and can be polished, cut and set and look lovely in jewelery but they are not as hard as diamonds.... diamond being a 10 on the mohs scale (the hardest) desert diamonds are 7.5. The desert diamond is heavier than a carbon diamond which means that a 1 carat desert diamond will be physically smaller than an actual diamond. :)

I've never seen one Griz. They say they can be quite large! Why don't you take it to a jeweler and have it polished and set.... that would be a lot of fun! :)

Grizabella
11-04-2008, 08:16
That's what I'm thinking of doing franniee. I don't yet know who to take them to for that, but I think they're very interesting. They remind me of the eggs a young hen lays without shells.

And Fudugazi, they're a kind quartz with the same components of amethyst and some others that's found in the desert near Iraq. They're usually found just when the sun is at the horizon at dawn when it will shine through them and make them visible. What I read on one site said it's most common to find them walnut size or smaller or they can be as big as a chicken egg and that's how big mine are. Of course their value when cut and set isn't anywhere remotely near to a carbon diamond and I didn't ever think it was so I wasn't surprised when I read about them on the internet after I got them.

I can't find very much on the internet about them, though, so I was curious to see whether or not anyone here had heard about them or seen them. Right now they're in kind of a rough state where the outer rusty color hasn't quite been removed.

Franniee, have you ever seen any that had been cut and set?

franniee
11-04-2008, 08:28
Franniee, have you ever seen any that had been cut and set?

No I haven't - i have heard of them. I looked for pics but can't find any.... let me try again.... OH and someplace I read said that they are mostly sent to thailand....

OK I found this.... Desert Diamonds are also known as Saudi Diamonds, or sometimes Qaysumah Diamonds. They are natural, semi-precious stones from the same micro-crystalline family as AMETHYSTS, SMOKY TOPAZ and CITRINE. These unique, high-grade stones have physical properties that produce the appearance of the expensive carbon-based diamonds!

OH and BTW they do not discolor! I would get them polished and set... you need to find a special jeweller. If you were here I would send you to 47th street in the city where you could easily find a diamond cutter.... but I don't know where you could go in your area.... you need a diamond cutter. They may not be carbon but they are hard!

Here is a site showing some jewellery made out of the DDs
http://www.desertdiamondsco.com/

here is another :
http://www.the-whitewater-company.com/about.shtml

Grizabella
11-04-2008, 09:39
Well, the second one says it's man-made, but the ones I have aren't. And both of those call it a "diamond simulant" which these aren't, either.

At any rate, they're very interesting and maybe I can find someone here who would be willing to cut and polish one of them for me or at least tumble them. My daughter said the person she got these from for me had tumbled ones that were really beautiful.

My first husband's father was a rockhound and made beautiful jewelry but I don't remember him ever having one of these, although he had specimens of just about every rock I could imagine.

Sophie
12-04-2008, 04:11
And Fudugazi, they're a kind quartz with the same components of amethyst and some others that's found in the desert near Iraq. They're usually found just when the sun is at the horizon at dawn when it will shine through them and make them visible. What I read on one site said it's most common to find them walnut size or smaller or they can be as big as a chicken egg and that's how big mine are. Of course their value when cut and set isn't anywhere remotely near to a carbon diamond and I didn't ever think it was so I wasn't surprised when I read about them on the internet after I got them.Sounds lovely! But a bit confusing that they should be called diamonds. Enjoy them:). What do you think you'll use them for?

Grizabella
12-04-2008, 06:21
I'm not sure what I'll use them for. Right now I just enjoy looking at them as they are. :)

fina
13-04-2008, 16:11
They are not mined - they are found loose in the desert. :) They are also not carbon based.

A saudi diamond is called a desert diamond....high grade quartz. They look like the carbon-based diamonds and can be polished, cut and set and look lovely in jewelery but they are not as hard as diamonds.... diamond being a 10 on the mohs scale (the hardest) desert diamonds are 7.5. The desert diamond is heavier than a carbon diamond which means that a 1 carat desert diamond will be physically smaller than an actual diamond. :)

Stop me if I'm wrong, its been a while since I took Mineralogy at uni, but I believe this is a form of "shocked quartz". When a meteorite hits a desert, much of the sand is "shocked" by the impact and high grade metamorphism happens in a flash. The product is large globs (to use the technical term :) ) of quartz. The only way I know how to determine if it is shocked, is by examination of a thin-section under polarized microscope (which would damage your sample).

Briar Rose
14-04-2008, 21:28
You can go to a diamond store and ask them to test them.

It's a little gaget with a little point and the gaget beeps if it's a diamond.