PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a crystal?

mysticmonkey
13-04-2008, 01:22
I'm trying to work out what type of stone a friend of mine has.
It's on a silver pendant and reminds us of amethyst but clearly isn't because it is opaque and has a slightly more purple blue hue rather than just a dark purple. It's a very smooth colour, no flecks of anything that I could see, almost creamy.

Sorry I don't have a picture but any ideas what this could be?

afrosaxon
13-04-2008, 03:05
Without actually seeing the stone, I'd venture to say it was a fluorite. They come in purple/blue hues...sometimes more of one color than the other. ;)

Check out www.crystal-cure.com and go to "Gemstone meanings", and click on "fluorite". There are some pictures there that may help you make a better I.D.

I hope this helps. If you ever get a picture, please post it so we can make a more definitive identification. :D

T.

Violetgems
13-04-2008, 11:04
Fluorite was the first thing that came to me too.

53rdspirit
13-04-2008, 11:16
I thought fluorite as well, but the "creamy" part threw me. A picture would be helpful.

mysticmonkey
14-04-2008, 21:09
I think my comparison to Amethyst is misleading. It's similar only in hue but it's more stone than crystal.
I've looked at Aventurine and Agate type stones but this is a lot smoother in colour. No stripes or big flecks of other elements.
I'm leaning to some type of Aventurine though. I'll have to get another look at it when I can.

sleepingcat
14-04-2008, 23:23
http://crystal-cure.com/lepidolite.html ?

I have a piece at home that doesnt have the flecks. It looks like a piece of lavender colored bubblegum.