Honing Your Style...

Splungeman

Though I've been sort of absent from the forum of late, I've still been reading Tarot. Most recently I was at a Psychic Fair. It was quite amusing. In the middle of redneckville Texas, we had a Psychic Fair. It wasn't a big deal. It was actually a fundraiser for the Unity Christian Church, a very progressive-thinking church...quite cool.

Anyway...this was the first time I'd ever done readings one after the other in rapid succession one stranger after another. I noticed very clearly just how wobbly my reading style was in terms of consistency. Boy was I doing things differently as the day progressed. Something about the frequency of reading for four hours straight with only a couple of water/snack breaks really shows how much more tweaking a novice needs to get down a consistent style. You notice more of what you're doing from one reading to the next when it's rapid fire rather than once or twice a month.

For example...I didn't quite realize how obsessed I was with pointing out little historical or factual details on the cards or trying to explain every little single reason I said what I said to the sitter. After two or three people had gotten a reading I was starting to drive myself crazy! I realized that the sitter didn't care about the alchemical significance of red and white on The Magician card, they cared when I told them that the person at work who can most help them with their current problem would be someone with charisma, an orator, and who feels to me like someone older than 65. BOOM! They light up and the reading continues. So by the time the event was winding down, I relaxed about feeling I had to explain every single statement made and just gave them the reading. When a sitter asked me to explain I was happy to, but otherwise they don't really care. SO that was one lesson learned. So in terms of presentation of information to the sitter I did some refining.

Another major thing I refined was my actual reading style. I was still struggling with how much of my information came from the cards themselves and how much came from intuitive flashes (or "glorp" to refer to an old post of mine). I noticed inconsistency there as well doing these one after the other readings. I got that pretty smoothed out towards the end of the event as well. To me, the cards are the framework, plumbing, basic structure of the "house" that is my reading. All the details come from..."out there"...or maybe I mean "IN there" (points to head). Well wherever the hell it comes from, it fills in the detail and the gaps. That's my style. I pinned the sucker down...FINALLY!

Other things noticed and smoothed out:

Shuffling routine- Noticed that needed to be consistent right off the bat. Helps keep your mind focused on reading the cards if you have a concrete shuffling method that never wavers. It becomes automatic and no longer a worry.

Arrangement of crap on the table- I learned that very probably the original reason Tarot readers started putting crystal balls, magical stones and other fancy-looking junk on their table was to keep the whole cloth an card setup from blowing away in the freakin' wind! You see this was outdoors, so the wind kept picking up my reading cloth and subsequently throwing my cards to the wind. Thank the Supreme Architect of the Universe that there was a guy selling gemstones who let me borrow some of them to weigh my cloth and cards down.

Introduction, manners, names- Do I just be myself? Do I act sagelike? Do I say "ma'am" and "sir"? How should I greet the sitter? Got all that pinned down. Once again, with events like this it's best to have a routine down so you don't have to think about it too much. Have pencil and paper handy to write down their name in case you are an idiot with names like I am, just don't be too blatant about checking it. "Okay so....(obviously looking at name like an idiot)......Tina! ....it looks like your cards say....etc"

I'm so glad I did this event. It was really great. It was like getting a REALLY good runners high after a marathon.

Anyway...I'm curious about how others have honed their style and methods over time. Any funny stories about how you got to where you are now? I haven't had a good 'ol Tarot discussion for awhile so let's get crackin'!

ribbitcat

Hi Splungeman :)

Sounds like the water in the deep end was just right ;-)
I don't think there's much that beats the 'buzz' of reading for lots of people in one day. Hope you handed out plenty of flyers/business cards ;-)

ribbitcat

AJ

James Wells has some good pointers in his April 14 blog post.
You make some great thinking ahead points Splunge.

I'm thinking about your fourth sentence though, a nice guy like you wouldn't want to be pegged as an elitist like someone in the news this week ;)

lilangel09

I'm really glad you posted this.

I felt like going to a psychic fair a few weeks ago, just to check out how things go at a fair. Unfortunately, I ended up not going, and another massive reading opportunity this summer has been trumped, unintentionally, by my mom.

I still have not officially taken the leap, but several small attempts have been made at my university. Since I have two closet reader friends, I thought about asking them for readings. I've never seen their cards, though they've seen mine, and I'm curious how they read.

Right now, I'm at the point where I'm trying to hone my reading style because, just like you, I'm inconsistent. For the last year, I've been switching from story-telling, telling it straight, art interpretation, counseling, etc. and a mix of all. Most recently, I found out that the psychoanalytical/counseling way just isn't for me. It's not my cup of tea. I can do it, but it's not for me or me.

But then, that brings me to the question, "Who am I?" and the two other important questions "Why do you read?" and "Why does the sitter come to you?"

I've changed why I read. I'm still working on who am I? I asked the same questions as you did, "How should I look?" "Should I do this or this?" It all boils down to who I am, what the sitter needs, and why I read. I want to read straight, but then I think... what about story-telling? I suppose I could do both, but straight will be my main. Of course, I will not try to 'force' it into that style, but I'd like it to be the style I read.

I'm also currently trying to be more flexible with my meanings. I keep jumping for memorized meanings. I've introduced a Marseilles into my reading arsenal, and it has been difficult to dislodge the RWS LWB meanings from it.

Splungeman

AJ said:
I'm thinking about your fourth sentence though, a nice guy like you wouldn't want to be pegged as an elitist like someone in the news this week ;)

Ha ha! Usually you don't find things like Psychic Fairs in Texas anywhere but around Austin or in the city areas where there is more tolerance for things that might offend the deeply conservative Christians who live out in the sticks. I live in the sticks myself, and I am pretty selective about who I mention my Tarot hobby to. Some people just don't like it. They call it idolatry or devil worship...you know the drill. The cool thing about this event, which took place in Wild Peach, TX, is that I discovered that there are quite a few folks out in the country who are interested in metaphysical, paranormal stuff. They too are just selective about who they share their interests with. I was happy to notice that there weren't any protesters from the local Baptist Church, who had apparently threatened to complain. I don't know to who...it's not illegal. There's kind of a funny small town rivalry between the Baptist Church and the Unity Church in Wild Peach...quite amusing.

I did get a little carried away with describing the event in my OP. My main intent, however, was to get people talking about how their style evolved over time...mistakes made...revelations...etc. The reason I brought up the event was because I did quite a bit of tweaking and developing of my reading style with all those people one after the other...so my style evolved a lot in a shirt period of time.

balenciaga

I am glad you shared your story, S-Man:) You got a great boost of confidence on reading tarot:love: it certainly is different reading for others, isn't it?
And you are right - most querents (unless they are fellow readers) could not give a hoot about symbols and elements and all the details we at AT care about. They just want to know "the future". I know when I go for a reading I do not even look at the deck! I am concentrating on listening carefully.
But isn't it amazing when you hear yourself speaking and you do not know what you are talking about, but the querent does and it makes sense to them?
it is much different (harder, I think) to read for oneself:)

Splungeman

balenciaga said:
I am glad you shared your story, S-Man:) You got a great boost of confidence on reading tarot:love: it certainly is different reading for others, isn't it?
And you are right - most querents (unless they are fellow readers) could not give a hoot about symbols and elements and all the details we at AT care about. They just want to know "the future". I know when I go for a reading I do not even look at the deck! I am concentrating on listening carefully.
But isn't it amazing when you hear yourself speaking and you do not know what you are talking about, but the querent does and it makes sense to them?
it is much different (harder, I think) to read for oneself:)

Plus the odd feeling of amnesia you get after awhile. I can't remember hardly anything I told any of those people!

balenciaga

Yes, I have that experience all the time. I believe it is because the querent is a stranger and the information that is passed on has no personal connection to me, the reader. I call it "translation".
Keep reading:)