Spring Fever: Let's Get Those Parties Booked

Satori

I don't know about you, but when spring hits I get reading fever. More people book parties with me in the nice weather, here on the East Coast USA, and I wanted to get some new and fresh ideas cooking!

Let's brainstorm about what we do that works to create bookings, what hasn't worked, and get our creative juices flowing to see if we can get some ideas going for fun themed parties, how to book at corporate events, where you can get leads and how to really jump-start your Tarot business!

I know you have ideas out there, let's share 'em!

Sheri

Satori :D

You are a mind reader for sure!!! I have been working on doing just that! Obsessively working on it!!!

I have the need... the need to read :D

I've got a fair Sunday in the Seattle area - could have done 2, but a friend is getting married on Saturday so I can't make the Saturday fair.

I got some great leads on events coming up in the area I live in when I read at a 2 day expo near my house. All my flyers were taken and most of my business cards. I am still hopeful to get some contacts from those people.

I am also going to contact some event planners in the area and see if I can get in as one of the venues of "entertainment" for some of their events, and contact the Chambers of Commerce of some of the small towns in the area.

Finally, I'm taking the plunge and getting a 1-inch ad in the Yellow Pages. The phone number I am giving will be for appointments only. I found a small business incubator in town that I can rent office space from (monthly or hourly), so I will conduct my readings from that location when I have appointments booked.

Has anyone tried any of these before? Have they worked?

:love: valeria

Chronata

I am so there with both of you! Spring has me itching to get more bookings, even though I am completely swamped by other projects!

Here is what I am doing in my town...and I will let you know if any of it works.

Since an old resort just re-opened here,and has a new staff willing to look at creative ideas, I am sending a proposal to do readings as part of their new Spa packages. It will be appointment only...and only on the days I can actually do it, of course...but the place is walking distance...so it's worth a shot!

I am putting new business cards and fliers at the two new coffee shops in the area

Last but not least...there is a big Spring woman's charity event in town, and I have been considering donating a tarot party gift certificate (fun and fortunes for up to 5 guests) in a little basket for their door prize. I have a feeling this could be a really good way to get more well known in the area.

because while I am a respected reader in my old home town area...no one around here seems to have any idea that I do this!

Michelle

I have spring fever, too!

I've been looking into new places to advertise, and new ideas for places to read.

I've thought about doing psychic fairs this spring/summer. The one in my area charges $50 for your space, then you keep any money you make while reading. I'm trying to contact some of their readers to see how the fairs go. If there is a lot of people attending, etc.

A new Hookah bar opened near me, thought about approaching them regarding a reading night.

Looking forward to reading ideas here!

Namaste,
Michelle

MareSaturni

Oh, can't get in the spring fever mood. We are beginning to get our autumn here so...unless there is an autumn fever too. ;)

Can Southern Hemisphere people join in?

Satori

Anyone can join in, all you need is a desire to build your business.

Right now I am creating a whole identity for myself as a local reader. In fact, I'm taking the Tarot out of it, and billing myself as a Reader. It doesn't really matter to most people what the deck I'm using is called. I think that many people wouldn't know a Tarot from any other deck. People want the information about them, not whether it is a Crowley or a Marseille.

My focus has been on creating a hostess/business packet (you know, bio, faq's, parties available, workshops available), the business card, and some party options. I have the regular straight-up 1:1 Reading and I have a Past Life party that centers around a group meditation. I'm actually very excited about the Past Life party option, because I get to charge a slightly lower fee, don't need to sit 1:1 with people, and can do a party of 8-10 people in less time than I could read them back to back.

The other thing I'm moving away from is charging for a timed reading vs. charging for a Reading. Most of the more established people around here have a flat fee. They don't say "Thirty dollars for thirty minutes." Rather they price according to the complexity of the reading, tying the price to the name of the reading.

I want to advertise in a local new age magazine, and that depends on their price!!! Another great money maker is getting in on the local after-Prom party scene. I'm trying to get in to a private school right now...looks like I missed their planning stage for this year, but there may be opportunities to do weekend readings and workshops for the kids who board there and don't always go home. They need "entertainment" I was told.

So, once I get my hostess/business packets set-up I'll go from there. There are other more corporate opportunities available too....and I'm going to be leaving a packet with the fundraising departments of some of the local hospitals, cancer centers and other firms. I have an eye toward Halloween and Christmas with the corporate venues, and that would be a bigger fee for several hours in the evening.

I have done an AM radio show before, and so I will eventually look into doing that again, but need to find one more local. Also, there may be a public TV show willing to have a metaphysical topics segment that would get me into the public eye, and maybe help put a new face on what it means to be psychic and raise the education level of local folk. Don't want people thinking it is all ooga-booga witchcraft.

My concern for this party season: The economy.
Right now with the depression hitting our area the way it is I can only hope people will be looking for answers to their problems, ways to forecast trends in their lives. Which would mean they are looking to the local psychic for help. But the opposite could be true too...that people are broke and can't afford readings. Only time will tell.

Grizabella

Wow, you've really been thinking this through thoroughly! Good going! I think you've got some great ideas there for ways to bring some business your way. :D

I think you're right on two things there---not only will they need to find answers to problems with the economy going bad, but they're also not going to have so much money to spend on readings, so I think ways to get around that lack of funds will be important for readers. Maybe get into bartering, if your own economic status will allow for that. With the great brainstorming you've done for your business, I'll bet you can think of tons of creative bartering methods, too, and if you do, I hope you'll share them with us.

When the economy gets bad and people find themselves with a loss of income, the problems in other parts of their lives seem magnified as well, so they might need readings---or think they do---more often.

Grizabella

Double post.

Scion

Some of the NYers have been thining along these lines too... :thumbsup: Great idea for a thread!

Satori

Chronata said:
I am so there with both of you! Spring has me itching to get more bookings, even though I am completely swamped by other projects!

Here is what I am doing in my town...and I will let you know if any of it works.

Since an old resort just re-opened here,and has a new staff willing to look at creative ideas, I am sending a proposal to do readings as part of their new Spa packages. It will be appointment only...and only on the days I can actually do it, of course...but the place is walking distance...so it's worth a shot!

I am putting new business cards and fliers at the two new coffee shops in the area

Last but not least...there is a big Spring woman's charity event in town, and I have been considering donating a tarot party gift certificate (fun and fortunes for up to 5 guests) in a little basket for their door prize. I have a feeling this could be a really good way to get more well known in the area.

because while I am a respected reader in my old home town area...no one around here seems to have any idea that I do this!

The spa party is a great idea Chronata. I did one in a little town near me, a very affluent town. I think that the actual spa women were a bit put out that I was included...the spa component actually was a group of women who work together doing home spa parties. They had two women doing nails...one mani, one pedi. Another woman was doing chemical peels, and I think they had another doing quickie facials, and they were the core spa team.

Additionally, a friend of the hostess was selling her earrings and doing Reiki on the guests, and I was downstairs doing readings. The two of us were sort of added on, and I don't know how the spa ladies felt about us being there, but we were paid separate from them...

I'm thinking about putting out a little party option with a nail person and a massage therapist and myself to do a similar sort of party. Each guest would pay a flat fee for the three services. Will need to see if the money works or is too expensive in the long run....but I think it would be fun.