Reading for another; mixed feelings of a first timer

Le Fanu

Yesterday evening some friends came for dinner and I was persuaded to do a reading. Ive been into tarot since I was 13 and have been collecting and reading on and off, interrupted, since then. The thing is, I use tarot as largely a private, solitary thing; I read for myself and it´s only recently that friends even knew about it. But recently, I have wished that I could read for others, but when I think how I do it alone, I cannot imagine duplicating this in company.

Anyway, a friend had an issue she wanted thoughts on. I used the V.Romantic, as it´s the deck I feel most at ease with. But as expected, I find the whole thing so tense. I cannot reach that level of abstraction which I get when alone. To be honest, when alone, I need a 5-minute warm up; sometimes just sitting quietly on the sofa. I even have a crystal ball; not to actually "see" anything, but to (as I call it to myself "project blankness" and make my mind more receptive). But when there is someone else there, I just cannot relax and feel receptive enough. I so want to be able to read for others. I found that sitting seperately from the others helped (no sense of others eavesdropping), as did chatting in a non-tarot way about her dilemma (which relaxed me, if nothing else). Also, after the spread (I really couldn´t say very much :(), I showed her the cards to have a look through (which she liked). Just observing the cards she paused over and admired was quite interesting; spoke volumes. But I just don´t know what to say, I cannot join the ideas in a coherent way; I just seemed to come out with standard, unimaginative meanings and it all seemed so uninspired. It´s probably just a question of practice...

Grizabella

It sounds to me like you had a heaping dollop of stage fright. That's normal when you're new at reading for others. :) You're right that practice is what it will take for you to get over it enough to start craving to read for people other than yourself..