The Wedding Reception

Baroli

Well, I would have posted last night, but I was wound up and tired at the same time. :D

As promised, I said I would relate the events of my gig at the wedding reception. Before I go on, I am issuing a friendly challenge: If you haven't been out there reading face to face, go do it! You will be glad you did. It is a whole different world than sitting at a computer screen and typing or talking to someone on the phone, all of which are good ways to break in, but to go to an event, sit down and read to someone, it's the communication and the reaching out and touching someone with words, to look someone in the eye and just talk to them. Man, what a rush! I digress,...

I got to this reception just before the wedding party pulled up. As I sneaked in the side entrance, I noticed the house had a table provided for me up on the second tier of the place. (How clever this place was tiered, much like a wedding cake. Awwww). Not having done a reception before, I was not sure what to expect, if I would be busy or not. I talked with the bartenders (always a must, IMO), who thought that me being there was definitely a cool thing. Next, I went over to talk with the band, who I find that I know from back in my days as a club musician. Nice; a small reunion of sorts.

The guests start to arrive and I set up my table (doing my minimalist thing), and I sit down. Well, let me tell you. I sat down and then so did my first sitter and thus began my evening. There were 125 guests, plus the bartenders and waitresses and band members, a total in the 130s give or take, and I felt like I read for ALL OF THEM!! I had women following me into the Ladies room for readings. YIKES!!:bugeyed:

Highlights of the evening: The priest who married the couple, came in and started giving me the sermon on tarot being the tool of the devil, to which I replied 'everything has to be a tool of something or someone.' I am getting used to that kind of ignorance, but he's entitled to his opinion. The best part is that after Fr. O'Hooligan (that's not his name, really) had a couple of drinks under his belt, he came back and said that I was ok afterall. I guess the angel (or maybe a devil })) sitting on his shoulder, told him I am ok.

2nd highlight: How do you tell the bride that the marriage is going to have some rocky times like immediately? I will leave that for your imagination to ponder.

What did I use for a spread? Well, I used 2 card and spent 15-20 minutes with each sitter and yes, I did have to hand out kleenex packets to some. The questions were about all sorts of stuff from when is "HE" coming into my life, to career, to situations at home, to one guy asking if he was wearing underwear or not. I told him I read cards not have x-ray vision, lol.

It was a fun night, I drank gallons of water, gave out bunches of business cards, and was just totally exhilerated from the whole process of the art of communication. I got home, and put my feet up, but had to do something so I cruised AT for a while. It's great to do that after a gig, just sit back and try to unwind.

When you decide to make that commitment to go, to read for the public, to sit and have an intimate conversation with a stranger and that stranger comes away feeling better, or relieved, or at least feeling different than when they first sat down, is by far so terrific. But be warned, you may not want to go back to reading online,............it's addictive. It's one of the reasons I love this site so much. I can still do the online readings, but I find I am craving more and more the public reading venue. I'm hooked, and do not wish to be saved from it. ;)

memries

My most sincere congratulations to you Baroli. That sounds like a major step in your life and I am sure with all the cards that you handed out business will be coming your way. That is just a great post. So inspiring.

Bloudwedd

Boy! I am so envious! I cant wait til I can put myself out there!

And oh- grats! Sounds like you did a heck opf a job!

starrystarrynight

I'm so glad you posted this, Baroli! This is such a cool venue (who'd a thunk it???)

I'm so glad it went well for you. (Having been raised catholic--but no longer practicing--I would have been trembling had a priest come up to me the way Fr. O'Hooligan :))) did you!)

You are awesome!

Sinduction

Way to go! That's a daunting number. Oh, the priest would have gotten an ear-ful from me. Good for you for keeping your cool.

Now I'm wondering if I could get away with having tarot readers at my reception. I think it's a wonderful idea and I'm not surprised you were so busy.

I find that when people don't have to seek us out and we are right there, they tend to rush us like an open bar. :D

I'm glad you had such a lovely time. :heart:

Grizabella

I loved the part about the priest getting a couple under his belt and then deciding you were okay. LOL It sounds like you had a great time. I never would have imagined that a wedding reception would have a tarot reader, but maybe you've started a trend.

afrosaxon

LOL@people following you into the bathroom for readings...and the underwear(less?) question. :laugh:

Good job, Baroli! I'm glad it went well for you.

Hey...perhaps your niece can come and observe you reading in person, one day? If the sitter doesn't mind?

T.

Baroli

As I said what I said to the priest, I couldn't help but think "Buddy, you're the biggest tool I have seen in a while." Well, he is a tool of the catholic church. I wasn't bein' mean })

I was very surprised about doing this at a wedding reception, not having seen that before, but the majority of sitters were interested in the future and timetables. Some were interested in getting advice for some serious situations. Some things I didn't need the cards really, just good ol common sense.

Hey, I'm just a person who really likes to read the Tarot and loves to give some help here and there.
Doing it in the public is just icing on the cake for me.

Afrosaxon: She has seen me work, which was an eyeopener for her. All she could say was ' Oh Aunt Babs, I didn't know,.........you're really g,...' I stopped her and said I am just somebody who reads cards. You can do it too. I also told her that I had been doing it on and off for over 30 years. That floored her. Right now, it's an off time for her, she's got a boyfriend, her first. :rolleyes: Ain't love grand ;)

MysticalMoose

Congratulations Baroli !!!! :):) Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Your sheer joy at taking the leap absolutely shines thru the post! Well Done..:D

MM :love:

celticnoodle

congratulations baroli! and, I loved your response to the priest. gonna have to 'borrow' that line and use it myself sometimes. good job! :thumbsup: