Tarot - Intuition or Psychic ability??

romanticdreamz

I have often seen many people here write things such as "I'm seeing this" or "this spoke to me" or "for some reason this sprung to mind" and so on. There does seem to be a large amount of psychic abilities being used or implied rather than intuition. (There is a difference in my mind, although trying to explain it may be difficult!)

So how essential is it to have some sort of psychic ability? I'm still a newbie but any sense of the word and have picked up on some truth in the cards before through intuition as I knew the people somewhat. I don't classify as being psychic although being able to train and develop that side of me would be great.

Do I have a chance of being good at this? Or rather, do some people have more of a talent than others? (It's been a long day...)

Sulis

I don't think that there is any need to have any noticeable psychic ability to learn how to read tarot well.

I do think that everyone is psychic to some degree though, even if it's not apparent and the more you use tarot the more you'll exercise that psychic muscle and your psychic abilities will get stronger... That's what I've found anyway :).

Pao

i've always thought as intuition as being a form of "psychicness" or whatever. I mean how many times has your intuition been wrong? when you feel not to walk on that street, you dont and usually there's a good reason why not to. I agree with Sulis in that its a muscle that with practice gets stronger. When i started and i used the book, I "felt wich definition went with the reading" and after a while you may not need the book as much if you listen to your gut. from my experience i think its just practice though :D

Grizabella

Yes, what Sulis said is right. I used to call it "intuition" or "tapping into subconscious knowledge", but now I'm not afraid to admit to psychic ability. And it's true that the more you use it, the stronger it becomes.

However, with psychic ability, we're only given what we're meant to know at any time. We can't turn it on and off like a light switch like some people mistakenly think. We can lay out the cards and get nothing psychically sometimes. Other times, we're getting knowledge like a train going through. It all depends on what we're meant to know for any given situation and sitter.

What I've found for myself is that I did have psychic ability after menopause more strongly even before I tried using the cards, but since using them, it's increasing yet again. If all that makes sense. :p

Kenny

I think there is a difference between the two. Intuition is based upon knowledge--I guess the problem with the blank computer screen is to do with the graphic card because I know the screen is functioning properly. Whereas psychic is based upon 'higher powers' or what-nots--don't tell me you have a problem with your computer and it is to do with hardware, it's not your screen, so I'm guessing it is your graphic card.

Kenny :)

Abrac

The word 'psychic' in popular culture has come to mean people like Miss Cleo, Sylvia Brown or John Edward. In my view these people are not using intuition at all but a calculated formula geared toward the best possible results, where 'results' = $$$$. ;) I can't really see how genuine psychic ability and intuition can be separated, but that's just the way I see it.

214red

I think everyone has varying degrees of psychic ability, being open minded is the only prerequisite to tapping into it.

Also its like anything you want to get better at, you have to take the time to learn and get better at it.

I know that i have some psychic ability, but has always been random , which made me shun it when young as the unknown is frightening. However it hasnt gone away, so might as well try and understand it, i am using the cards along with meditation/visualisation to get to grips with it.

Hopefully am at the tipping point now:)
I am enjoying learning, so as long as it takes i will be plugging away to see where it leads me

Prism

In case you haven't seen them, Mary Greer has a couple of posts relevant to this discussion in her blog. I think the relevant dates are March 23 and April 21. She seems to be of the "use the muscle to make it stronger" school, which is what I'm hoping is true.

rabidwolfie

This is actually an excellent question & one I personally have danced with many times & continue to do so.

My parents (mom especially) always used to tell me stories about how as a baby I could choose the winning car in a race or tame a savage dog just by walking over & giving it a hug. Even now I tend to know when people are lying to me, even over the net when I have no way to get any verbal or body cues & they seem credible.

I don't, however, consider myself a psychic.

I shall continue to dance.

Umbrae

rabidwolfie said:
I shall continue to dance.

Perhaps the wisest words I've seen on AT in a long time.

Intuition or Psychic abiltiy?

Intuition is a jump of logic, from A to D without the stuff in between.

Psychic is whatever. But some folks don't believe in psychic anything so the word is eschewed by many.

Lately, somebody started calling it glorp.

Me? What do I think? What do I feel?

Sometimes it is intuition.
Sometimes it is psychic.
Sometimes it is dancing with glorp.

Regardless, the more you use it (sans safety net), the stronger it becomes.

Risk, compounded with sublimating ego - makes it stronger.