Reading the whole deck

Azarial

I have heard before of people reading the whole tarot deck. So how is it done? Do you just shuffle the deck, and start from the first card and create a story, the next card adding onto the story or what?

firecatpickles

I did a team reading with my departed friend Chris once with a whole deck. We did a reading for a local mayor and his political issues.

We laid out the entire deck in 6 row of 13 columns and read it like a chakra spread with elemental dignities. The seventh chakra was not present as it is not in the physical plane.

Azarial

Well what I mean is not using a spread, just reading one card at a time and basically telling a story about life. Like maybe divide the deck into three, and the first 26 is for the past, the second 26 is for the present, and the third 26 is for the future. Kind of like gypsies you see in the movies. Lol, I think I just made my own spread.

firecatpickles

tarotbear tells a story about his sister who only read this way, I believe.

Where is tarotbear?

celticnoodle

I had a tarot reading done once for me using the entire deck. From what I can recall, (it was many years ago), the reader had me shuffle the cards, and then she spread them all face down in a fan sort of and told me to choose so many cards at a time.

She'd take those cards I chose and lay them out one at time and told me my fortune. We continued on that way until all the cards were used. No special format or anything, she'd just read what she saw as she turned the cards over.

I honestly cannot recall all that was read to me. I had even forgotten about it till I read your post. I'm sure at the time I thought it was rather right on as I continued to go back for readings.

I tried myself to read that way--but found it quite tiresome. I thought it would be a great way to give a great reading. It's a very long process though, so I'm not anxious to do it again.

I also go to a psychic reader, who gets information from a deck of ordinary playing cards that I have to bring with me to my reading. (She uses the cards her customer brings, after having the customer carry the cards with them for days on end). She will shuffle them, and then begin to deal them out and tell your fortune/bring in spirits. She is extremely accurate! she will use the entire deck and sometimes even re-shuffles them and deals them out again and again as she reads for you. she is probably the best psychic reader I've ever gone too--(hmmm...it's been awhile since my last reading from her, I should get another from her very soon.......)

tarotbear

Kilted Kat said:
tarotbear tells a story about his sister who only read this way, I believe.

Where is tarotbear?

Tarotbear is on sabattical!

My sister-in-law, actually! She did this 'stream of consciousness' type thing where she shuffled the entire deck and just started laying them out one after another in a line, maybe 6 or seven cards, and then started another row slightly overlapping them. She just kept going and talking the whole time until she ran out of cards. There was no 'planning', no layout, per se, just throwing out the cards and speaking.

Thanks for asking!

Demon Goddess

celticnoodle said:
I had a tarot reading done once for me using the entire deck. From what I can recall, (it was many years ago), the reader had me shuffle the cards, and then she spread them all face down in a fan sort of and told me to choose so many cards at a time.

She'd take those cards I chose and lay them out one at time and told me my fortune. We continued on that way until all the cards were used. No special format or anything, she'd just read what she saw as she turned the cards over.

I honestly cannot recall all that was read to me. I had even forgotten about it till I read your post. I'm sure at the time I thought it was rather right on as I continued to go back for readings.

I tried myself to read that way--but found it quite tiresome. I thought it would be a great way to give a great reading. It's a very long process though, so I'm not anxious to do it again.

I also go to a psychic reader, who gets information from a deck of ordinary playing cards that I have to bring with me to my reading. (She uses the cards her customer brings, after having the customer carry the cards with them for days on end). She will shuffle them, and then begin to deal them out and tell your fortune/bring in spirits. She is extremely accurate! she will use the entire deck and sometimes even re-shuffles them and deals them out again and again as she reads for you. she is probably the best psychic reader I've ever gone too--(hmmm...it's been awhile since my last reading from her, I should get another from her very soon.......)

OMG, if you were in Vancouver, I'd think you'd been visiting my Grandmother!

Demon Goddess

tarotbear said:

My sister-in-law, actually! She did this 'stream of consciousness' type thing where she shuffled the entire deck and just started laying them out one after another in a line, maybe 6 or seven cards, and then started another row slightly overlapping them. She just kept going and talking the whole time until she ran out of cards. There was no 'planning', no layout, per se, just throwing out the cards and speaking.

Thanks for asking!

I would love to try this one of these afternoons.... It might make for an interesting COS.

Azarial

tarotbear said:

Thanks for asking!

Did she start at any particular point in time? Like the past and moving on up through the present and future? It sounds like it would be a lot of fun to do.

Chronata

I remember having my cards read like this by a dear friend many many years ago.

She shuffled, and then went through the whole deck, three cards at a time.

Each three card set was a sentence or single thought...and they had a mostly linear time pattern to them.
It was rather like a story or stream of consciousness thing...and sometimes three cards equaled only a single word.

I tried it myself a few times, and it's an interesting exercise.