So we want a tarot in a tin...

Cerulean

...Okay, let's say it's a tarot you think works for a tin...

But it didn't come in a tin.

So did you find a creative container? My sample for pencil case tin from Paper Chase:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...UKN2GV2CY2G&field-keywords=pencil+tin&x=0&y=0

I'm actually looking at a different design...don't see it online yet. I'll photograph soon...

Borders was selling pencil tins for about $4.00 and I fond one that I thought was groovy for my Adrian Tarot...been meaning to map out that diagram soon...I noticed that it doesn't push down all the way, so found some of my extra cotton colorful ties and tied my spreadcloth...will do a picture soon.

But I'm looking at old tea tins with new eyes.

Got any ideas?

Ceri;eam

celticnoodle

what a lovely idea! I did recently find a felt 'purse' in a craft shop and thought it was a lovely way to transport my cards around when going somewhere to do a reading. It cost me only $4.00 and now I wish I had purchased more! It will also hold inside my tarot book, (when I feel the need to transport that as well) and a pen/pencil and small amount of paper.

I am a collector of decorative boxes. I am always looking at boxes for my various cards. Some I have purchased at Michaels, rather cheaply, but can decorate them as I wish. They come in all sizes and shapes, and quite inexpensive also. They hold the tarot cloth bag in which my cards are stored as well--and some of them will hold the book that accompanies the deck too.

I do like your idea of the tin boxes though. Esp. if you can find old antique tea boxes--that would be really cool!

Silverlotus

Gosh, I had a couple of pencil boxes that I used to use in university. They were great. I wish I had kept them now, as one of them would have been great for my Hello Tarot.

And pencil boxes do stand up to a lot of wear and tear. My school bag got stepped on regularly in class, and my pencil boxes survived it all. Of course, I can't vouch for the durability of the ones Cerulean linked to, but I'm sure they would be fine. (My pencil boxes were ultra cheap anime knockoffs, so if they could stand being stepped on, I'm sure more expensive ones could too.)

lilangel09

Actually, I keep my Lunatic Tarot wrapped in a cloth bag that I keep in a pencil case tin. I got the tin at Tesco and had been using it as a pencil case for a year or two, but I stopped using it. The Lunatic happened to fit in it. The tin is a bigger than the length of the deck so I detached the mirror attached to my tin and put it inside the tin with my deck. The cloth peeks through the window where the mirror used to be.

I bought another pencil case with my decks in mind but it's too small. Both of them have some cute chibi designs on it. Since I haven't found any other pencil tins, I just keep the rest of my decks in cloth bags.

Cerulean

Tea tin and more...

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=41

I think my pencil case idea is fine and I'm eyeing tea selections for both tea and container now...doesn't probably travel well if you are stopped for the metal content on the container for an air flight.

But for just domestic and road trips...if it's not left in a hot window so that the case gets hot and the contents get toasted... Be just my luck if I do this and I get a toasted deck!

If you guys find a nice, shiny box substitute...recipe card containers? Otherwise?

Post pictures!

Cerulean

raeanne

Hi all,
OK, educate me. I don’t get the "Tarot in a tin" thingy. To me tin is cold, hard, and manmade. Most of the tins I have seen are hard to open, especially since I live in a climate with high humidity in the summer. Cloth, wood, or other natural materials seem much more warm and welcoming to me. What’s the attraction? What am I missing?

Debra

It's nicer to carry a tin in your purse or backpack than a big old wooden box.

It's fun to collage a tin.

Tins stick closed better than most other boxes.

Tins get dented up and that's a sign of character.

Tins usually come with candy in them, and you can eat the candy.

I've got a bunch of those Walgreen plastic card cases. They're good for boxless decks--thin, strong, come in different colors (white, navy, blue, red, purple).

They're not totally airtight--there are breathing holes, which reduces odds of mildew. They're just a bit tight for 78 cards, so I wrap the cards in a slip of glassine paper so they don't scratch when I take them in and out of the case. Really the plastic cases are practically perfect except for the plastic aspect which doesn't convey much character. Alas...last year the local walgreens put them on clearance. I took all that were left for 33 cents each...but now there are no more...

lilangel09

raeanne said:
Hi all,
OK, educate me. I don’t get the "Tarot in a tin" thingy. To me tin is cold, hard, and manmade. Most of the tins I have seen are hard to open, especially since I live in a climate with high humidity in the summer. Cloth, wood, or other natural materials seem much more warm and welcoming to me. What’s the attraction? What am I missing?

Well, I can't say for everybody else, but for me, I'm usually quite rough with my stuff. I used a tin in high school because I was afraid that my cards would get dented and bent in my messenger bag with heavy books as I walked. Now that I don't carry as much heavy hardback stuff, my decks don't get tumbled around as much as I walk so cloth bags are fine. Basically, it's so my deck didn't get bent to pieces.

Debra

Cerulean, I think the best bet is little lunchboxes for little children that have been sent to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

I've got one with Curious George the monkey on it but it has teabags in it to cheer us up in the morning.

I found a larger one last week with a froggy on it, 7" x 4" x 4" which is big enough for several decks. But who could collage over a frog?

And also wonderful Hello Kitty lunchbox, pink, but plastic.

So far, three great lunchboxes. None is right for tarot cards. So now I've got a lunchbox collection.

Great, just what I need.