Do minor arcana have numbers?

susy

Last year I bought a book about the several combinations of the arcanas (from numer 0 to number 77). We all know the number of major arcana, BUT, the book also has the minor arcanas. For example, they call the card number 23 (which is a minor, right?) The Planning, number 24 is Formalities, number 25 is Evolution, and so on...

Now, I don't know how to correspond the numbers, nor the names to the minor arcana. Could someone help please??? Another example: number 68 is The Loss. Does anyone know which minor arcana corresponds to "The Loss"??

Thanks so much!!

rwcarter

susy, it might help if you gave us the name of the book. On the surface though it sounds like it might be some version of Etteilla deck. I have one Etteilla where the cards are numbered from 1-78 and each of them has a keyword on the card for both upright and reversed meanings. I'm at work and the cards are at home, so I can't check to see if those titles correspond to my Etteilla deck though.

HTH,
Rodney

ETA: It's not the Grand Etteilla. 23 is the Queen Wands and says Virtue/Devotion. 24 is the Knight Wands and says Change/Separation. 25 is the Page Wands and says Originality/News. 68 is the 10 Pentacles (Disks) and says Home/Games of Chance.

susy

The book is called "Modern Tarot" and it's brazilian. If I could know the correspondence, it would help a lot when i'm reading my deck (Rider-Wite).
Here's a picture:

Thanks for the help! :)

susy

rwcarter said:
susy, it might help if you gave us the name of the book. On the surface though it sounds like it might be some version of Etteilla deck. I have one Etteilla where the cards are numbered from 1-78 and each of them has a keyword on the card for both upright and reversed meanings. I'm at work and the cards are at home, so I can't check to see if those titles correspond to my Etteilla deck though.

HTH,
Rodney

ETA: It's not the Grand Etteilla. 23 is the Queen Wands and says Virtue/Devotion. 24 is the Knight Wands and says Change/Separation. 25 is the Page Wands and says Originality/News. 68 is the 10 Pentacles (Disks) and says Home/Games of Chance.

Thank you so much for the help, once again!! If anybody knows the correspondence, i'd appreciate a lot the help!! :D

I can give more tips: minor arcana #73 is called (in this book) The Harmony, #59 is called The End, #44 is called The Union.

rwcarter

Hi susy,

Are there any illustrations of the cards in the book? If so, can you post one? A visual may also help in figuring out if a specific deck is being discussed.

Also I would think that if they weren't discussing a specific deck then somewhere in the front of the book they would list how they've ordered the cards.

Rodney

susy

rwcarter said:
Hi susy,

Are there any illustrations of the cards in the book? If so, can you post one? A visual may also help in figuring out if a specific deck is being discussed.

Also I would think that if they weren't discussing a specific deck then somewhere in the front of the book they would list how they've ordered the cards.

Rodney

No there anren't any illustrations and they didn't mention any specific deck... That's why i really don't know... :(

In Rider-Wite deck, which minor arcana has the same "value" or meaning as The End? Or which one means the same as The Arrival?

Ligator

They are not discussing a specific deck?!?!?!?! What universe do they come from, the authors? Strange!

If we assume that it ends with disks/coins the 73 would correspond to 5 of disks and that is for me certainly no harmonious card...

STrange!

Ligator

It could, however, be so that she PROPOSES a new system and that someone else has to paint the cards. Could it be so?

RiccardoLS

Guesswork...
If the minors are arranged in order we would have numbers:
23to36-suitA 37to50-suitB 51to64-suitC and 65to78-suitD
If the orders is 1 to King (14)
we would have
Planning --> Ace of A
Formalities --> 2 of A
Evolution --> 3 of A
Union --> 8 of B
End --> 9 of C
Loss --> 4 of D
Harmony --> 9 of D
----
If the order is King to Ace
Planning --> King of A
Formalities --> Queen of A
Evolution --> Knave of A
Union --> 7 of B
End --> 6 of C
Loss --> Knave of D
Harmony --> 6 of D

Any clue? Well, it is sort of fun, tyring to guess the system behind ^_^

ric

susy

RiccardoLS said:
Guesswork...
If the minors are arranged in order we would have numbers:
23to36-suitA 37to50-suitB 51to64-suitC and 65to78-suitD
If the orders is 1 to King (14)
we would have
Planning --> Ace of A
Formalities --> 2 of A
Evolution --> 3 of A
Union --> 8 of B
End --> 9 of C
Loss --> 4 of D
Harmony --> 9 of D
----
If the order is King to Ace
Planning --> King of A
Formalities --> Queen of A
Evolution --> Knave of A
Union --> 7 of B
End --> 6 of C
Loss --> Knave of D
Harmony --> 6 of D

Any clue? Well, it is sort of fun, tyring to guess the system behind ^_^

ric

Ok, call me dumb or annoying... :p but what's the meaning of D, C and so on?

On my rider-wite deck I have pentacles, wands, cups and swords... Does A (aces) correspond to pentacles, and C to cups? What about D's?