Some fun about tarot - skeptics

Ligator

Something for those of us who has a sense for the bizarre, and the somewhat ironical sides of life.

The scepdic, The Sceptic Dictionary, is a resourse for all those that wants to find information about sects, psychics, spirituality but that belive that EVERYTHING that has to do with this is wrong and false. It is a resourse for rationalists.

They are off course VERY hostile to tarot and all kinds of divination.

But...

Take a look at their site nowadays. http://skepdic.com/tarot.html This what they have to say about tarot. Well, that is not much. But... Look at the page. Look at the ads!

They are running google ads nowadays. To earn money... What do you see!

Do you notice the irony?

/Torbjörn

lilangel09

I remember reading this entry before. I think this has been brought up before. I didn't take what they said as being hostile. It's actually, at most, a little snide.

I used to be a skeptic, and I think I was more harsh.

Well, yes it is ironic, but hey, skeptics (secretly?) visit readers too, and the site needs revenue.

Ligator

I was a sceptic too, or rather a partial sceptic.

When it comes to beliefe I have always believed in God, but I have always enjoyed good atheist books about religion. There are much that is wrong, dangerous and insane in organized religion and spirituality, unfortunately. Nowadays I believe in God, in a god that is not religious, if you see what I mean... A god that does not care much if you go to this or that church and do these or those practices in his/hers name.

And I think that even God enjoys reading Thomas paine or Richard dawkins and gets a good laugh when reading what they have to say about some of the more crazy phenomena in the religios world...

But this is off topic perhaps. :eek:)

However... The sceptic page is quite fun! Wonder what makes the sceptics stand the ads?

Vadella

They should have named it The Ignorant Dictionary.

Haegtessa

Ligator said:
The scepdic, The Sceptic Dictionary, is a resourse for all those that wants to find information about sects, psychics, spirituality but that belive that EVERYTHING that has to do with this is wrong and false. It is a resourse for rationalists.

They are off course VERY hostile to tarot and all kinds of divination.

/Torbjörn

This doesn't make very much sense. A skeptic isn't someone who disbelieves everything, it's someone who usually keeps an open objective mind while researching the facts and related things. They don't even use the definition correctly?

As for the ads, you see that on so many sites. I think it's one of those ad generators that grabs most used words and puts up a correlating ad. You see those a lot in some of the mostinappropriate places!

Ligator

I know. But lets have a laugh at least!

:eek:)

Gus

Whoa.... we're linked at the bottom of the page under "Further reading"! I wonder why they chose to link to a Tarot-supportive site when they're trying to disprove everything we study?

Kenny

Gus said:
Whoa.... we're linked at the bottom of the page under "Further reading"! I wonder why they chose to link to a Tarot-supportive site when they're trying to disprove everything we study?
I noted that too, but to prove they are as unbiased as possible you need to show the two sides of an argument and then show why you picked which one you did. To be honest this site is maybe the best tarot forum on the 'net (it's the only one I know of) but they are linking to the card database.

Splungeman

I still am quite the skeptic, as the fairy believers may have found out. (Sorry Fairy believers! Please pass on to the Fairies that it's nothing personal) As far as Tarot cards, I ran into a problem as a skeptic...The card readings kept being right. They kept being relevant in a spooky and detailed way. I cannot prove an experience like this to a skeptical person. I cannot quantify or experiment with it in a manner that a scientist can prove or disprove. It happens between myself and person I read for. On my first reading for a stranger ever, I told my sitter four different things that I read in the cards referring to future events. All four occurred in exactly the way I said they would. It was a short reading. I didn't just sit there spewing out random guesses as to what might happen for four hours. I told her four specific things based on what I got from the cards on the table. All happened in the specific detail that I described. It blew my mind. The odds of a vague prediction would have been pretty good "You will receive money", or "A strong man will help you". But the things I told her were TOO specific. The odds of them all occurring were astronomical.

An example of one of the things I told her: "You will receive money in a parking lot from a male who is being forced to give you this money for some legal reason." A couple of weeks later her ex-husband was ordered to pay owed child support to her by a judge or be put in jail. He called her and told her to meet her in the gas station parking lot, where he gave her a few thousand dollars. That's just too detailed to be coincidence. The problem here is that no scientist could possibly monitor that entire situation enough to give credence to the reading, therefore skeptics would call it wild luck and nonsense. i know what happened. My sitter knows what happened. That will have to be enough.