Readings For The Dead

Alamaris

I'm planning a series of readings on famous people who have passed on, and decided to make an ongoing thread about it. Its mostly just for my reference, since I have trouble handwriting my readings, but I also figured other people might enjoy the results. :D

Feel free to make suggestions to add to the list below! I can't guarantee I'll add them, but suggestions are much appreciated. Also, you'll notice there's a few people who might not be considered "real" or may not have literally "died", but I consider them among the technically deceased. Examples: Mary Magdelene, Judas, Jesus, Seth, etc.

Readings may be days or weeks apart, but I'll keep posting to this thread until the list is completed.

Alamaris

The People:

Carl Jung
Pamela Coleman Smith
Aleister Crowley
Mozart
Sigmund Freud
John F Kennedy
Mary Magdalene
Cleopatra - DONE (May 17/08)
Donatien Alphonse Francois (Marquis deSade)
Jane Austen
Albert Einstein
Shakespeare
Hitler
Tolkien
Nostradamus
Anastasia
Rasputin
Jesus
Joan of Arc
Napoleon
Martin Luther King Jr.
Mae West
Princess Diana
Jack the Ripper
Stalin
Judas
Charles Manson
John Lennon
Jeffrey Dahmer
Lucille Ball
George Burns
Marilyn Monroe
Richard Kuklinski (the Ice Man)
Ayn Rand
Ramses
Tutankhamen
Dante Alighieri
John Milton
Robert Anton Wilson
Seth (Jane Roberts)
Vladimir Nabokov
James Earl Ray
Houdini
Emily Carr
Amelia Eirhart
Helen Keller
Sybil (Sybil Isabel Dorsett or Shirley Ardell Mason)

reine de saba

Funny, I've read for Jack the Ripper's last victim- in fact it was "for" her in that I was asking as her "should I go back on the streets or stay in tonight" I could post that as a reply when you get to him, if you're interested

Glad to know that I'm not the only one with a macabre curiosity.

Did Ted Bundy. Absolutely chilling. Lizzie B too.

Had a PM or two with Althea Astraea concerning a series of readings on unsolved mysteries of history, then a migraine came and obliterated my senses and I haven't done anything with it.

Have also been playing around with the idea of going into museums and reading for the works. I'm really interested in doing so in the Louvre's Etruscans and Egyptians. A Horus statue and a some Sekhmet statues particularly. As I don't think a statue is just it's material I think that would work. Same with cultual paintings: oh! the late Egyptian Portraits, that's what!

Oh, and maybe some of the day to day objects.

Maybe some other places, châteaux...

Maybe I could adapt a variation on your spread?

And then too, do you feel like you're "waking the dead" or disturbing them in some way? like a seance? I worried about that with Mary Kelly, the JtR victim, etc. I have not formed an opinion on it.

Alamaris

What wonderful ideas! The one about reading for unsolved mysteries piqued my interest immensely. I'd love to see some of your readings about the dead, when I post them up...it'd be great if this thread turned into a community affair, with everyone contributing readings.

I hadn't thought of Lizzie Borden... might just add her to the list. ;)

And no, I don't feel like I'm disturbing the dead when I read about them -- I think its more like reading the energy they left behind. Ghosthunters are quoted as saying that what they deal with is more often energy residue from a particularly unique existence, rather than a once-living soul. Conversely, I don't think I'd be comfortable reading for a soul I knew was "trapped on this side", for lack of a better term... that to me feels a little intrusive at this point, doubly so because I'm still quite new at tarot and wouldn't give them any justice.

ETA: Feel free to use or adapt the spread! I cobbled it from various spread ideas on contacting spirits, guides, and missing persons... I'd love to see it used for more varied purposes.

ETA 2: The rest of the readings will be posted one at a time in the "Your Readings" section of the forum. This is more a reminder to myself not to post them here.

reine de saba

Would it be a waste of bandwidth to discuss these ideas themselves here? I don't think it's too off-topic, given the broad nature of the thread title.

We could certainly turn this into a family affair.

Ms A Astraea was interested in Kaspar Hauser. Good one!

I was thinking Billy the Kid, Emily Dickinson, the Brontës, Pico della Mirandola, Marsiglio Ficino...
have done Lee asking advice on the eve of accepting the commission in the Confederacy, and again on the eve of Gettysburg. Lincoln asking t whether he should go to the theatre or not...

good stuff over on your readings

and you'll see me there

take care

saba

Alamaris

reine de saba said:
Would it be a waste of bandwidth to discuss these ideas themselves here? I don't think it's too off-topic, given the broad nature of the thread title.
I don't think its off-topic at all... it'd be great to generate some discussion. I imagine there's others interested in such a topic.

lilith_in_tree

I think this is really interesting! I'll be keeping an eye out for your readings ;)
And I'd like to suggest one for my own selfish purposes, because he's my favorite poet and I'd love to see what you come up with--Arthur Rimbaud.

Glass Owl

I'd like to put in a suggestion for Benjamin Franklin.

sunflowr

River Phoenix
Janis Joplin