PDA

View Full Version : Lightbulb moment!

allibee
18-12-2002, 11:58
Just an idea, we have a lot of beginners here who are trying to learn alone and to gain experience, but they rarely post on 'your readings' as replies. Maybe they feel too shy, unsure or intimidated.
I was wondering about a sort of beginners corner section.
Maybe a small spread in response to a ficticious question, from a ficticious sitter once a week.
Here they could be encouraged to really have a go by the more experienced ones just sitting back on the guidelines and stepping in just to clarify with the odd insight here and there, not giving a whole interpretation. Post a few samples to start them off???????
Just a thought :)

allibee

Pollux
19-12-2002, 00:44
Originally posted by allibee
I was wondering about a sort of beginners corner section.
Maybe a small spread in response to a ficticious question, from a ficticious sitter once a week.The READING EXCHANGE section in Tarot was created exactly for that purpose! ;)
Here they could be encouraged to really have a go by the more experienced ones just sitting back on the guidelines and stepping in just to clarify with the odd insight here and there, not giving a whole interpretation. Post a few samples to start them off???????For that we have the YOUR READINGS section, which implements the same process you indicated: a learner or new-bie posting a spread for help, and other members stepping in to speak up (old-timers, advanced readers or new members likewise).

allibee
19-12-2002, 04:51
I know what you are saying Pollux, but in reality, not many do post or reply there who are total novices.
I was not so much meaning posting either, I feel you can learn more from replying....figuring out someone elses question and spread who you know nothing of.
The real beginners very rarely reply I've noticed.

allibee:)

Pollux
19-12-2002, 08:11
I agree with your point, but that is not a matter of sections or else. We might have one thousand new sections opened for the newbies, and might not solve the problem all the same.

If the new members don't feel confident enough to post replies in YOUR READINGS it is simply up to them amd their courage - there's no limit or restriction, apart from their own self-confidence and lack of thereof.

I can say for personal experience (you will admit I have been hanging out aroud here a little more than you did ;)) that I have seen newbies replying every now and then - and my first contributions were in the Your Readings section as well, despite my overall cluelessness *LOL* What is more, I am utterly and totally certain that whatever the level, skill and experience, any member worthy of this name, posting in the Your Readings section, would be happy to accept whatever contribution no matter how newby-like. And I also remember Meewah and Marion encouraging new-bies in some occasions as well.

Yep, the real beginners very rarely reply, but you can't force them nor can I. It's up to them, not a matter of sections - the Your readings section is there for them to take. :)

allibee
19-12-2002, 08:57
Ok, I bow to your superior knowledge *LOL*, I give in gracefully about another section. But how can we encourage more newbies to poke their toes in the water? Is just saying 'it's there' enough?

allibee
(I already know what you are going to say, hehehe, so could you qualify it for me please)

wavebreaker
19-12-2002, 09:34
But how can we encourage more newbies to poke their toes in the water? Is just saying 'it's there' enough?I think so, because not everyone may be interested in commenting on other people's readings or exchanging readings. Using these two forums may be a great way to learn for some people, but not for others and I think for those that do like this way of learning, just saying that it's there will be enough.

aeonx
19-12-2002, 10:12
allibee: I have to disagree with you on this one. I've often seen 'newbies' reply to a spread someone has posted, or given a reading in the Reading Exchange. Most often they comment on this in the post as well. I've posted some of my spreads too, and a lot of novices have replied. I also agree with Pollux that a person should feel confident enough to post. And it's probably much easier on the Internet, as people don't see you if you 'screw up'.

IMO, there's already enough forums! Soon it's getting too many. I'll actually go and start a new thread on this, because I feel it deserves some discussion.

~aeonx~

allibee
19-12-2002, 10:27
Ah well, if my thread has done nothing but make you think aloud something that is bothering you, then I have done my job :)

aeonx
19-12-2002, 11:36
Ah well, if my thread has done nothing but make you think aloud something that is bothering you, then I have done my job :)

Yes indeed. :D Thank you for that. I hope you reply to the new thread in Chat. :)

~aeonx~

Pollux
20-12-2002, 00:40
Originally posted by tarotlady
I think so, because not everyone may be interested in commenting on other people's readings or exchanging readings. Using these two forums may be a great way to learn for some people, but not for others and I think for those that do like this way of learning, just saying that it's there will be enough.
I agree with tarotlady.
One of the reasons why I love these boards is the tolerance and respect that are always guaranteed, and the understanding for others and their own paths.
I am the first person to encourage, and often very vehemently or obsessively (ask tarotlady about the SACT card *LOL*), but in these regards I think the best help I can offer is to provide information on what sections we have and how to use them properly.
I don't find pressure and insistence might be valid tools, and this especially when we deal with spirituality and personal growth (of which both tarot is a part): I am a firm believer that people know best for themselves, and I trust their discernment and courage. I cannot know if a certain member is ready better than the member him/herself, and all of us have our own right to preparation and choice. And after all we are all grown-ups! ;) *LOL*

I hope this doesn't sound too pompous or offensive or anything... thanks! :)

Jewel
20-12-2002, 03:10
Originally posted by tarotlady
I think so, because not everyone may be interested in commenting on other people's readings or exchanging readings. Using these two forums may be a great way to learn for some people, but not for others and I think for those that do like this way of learning, just saying that it's there will be enough.

I agree 100% with this ... look how long I have been here ~points to month/year and number of postings~ and I do not think I have been to either of those sections more than maybe once or twice, much less posted.

Maybe you could request a sticky be added (one per section) that explains the intent of the Forum and that encourages newbies ... other than that I am all out of suggestions.

allibee
20-12-2002, 04:48
THAT'S IT.......

The sticky guidelines are not bold enough, half of them get missed I think, I know I did, and I know other newbies do too.
When you arrive on a new forum, especially a busy one, you tend to have so much visual input in front of you, that it becomes a scanning exercise for keywords, and guidelines/rules aren't usually at the top of people's keyword list in real life, are they....

So.....

How's about BIGGER BOLDER and a different Font and Colour for the sticky guidelines then?????????? Borders, buttons something ...ANYTHING!

allibee

wavebreaker
20-12-2002, 05:36
I guess that's a personal thing, because I always notice it when a new sticky has been posted in a forum... ;)
Besides, bigger/bolder/bright colours/borders etc. don't always help to attract attention; more often than not they just cause annoyance and distract from the content.

BTW, a new sticky has been added to the New Members section (where there were no stickies before, so it's the only one) with some instructions for new members on how to find their way around the forum and where to find help.

Moongold
20-12-2002, 05:46

How's about BIGGER BOLDER and a different Font and Colour for the sticky guidelines then?????????? Borders, buttons something ...ANYTHING!

allibee

I agree with allibee. I doubt that newcomers even know what Stickies are for a while. I've seen a few people ask for readings to then be gently advised that they have to post 25 times, for example. They clearly haven't read the stickies.

As a newbie I had a wonderful experience. Kyrie Blue, another newbie, suggested that some of us have a go at a common question. So we did. Mooncat2, as an experienced reader stepped in and coached us through a couple more readings like this. It was fantastic and I think that those who participated learned a lot and had some fun as well.

It was quite spontaneous and could easily happen again.

Moongold

Pollux
20-12-2002, 05:52
If that was not clear enough, it is a matter of WILL.

If new member wants to contribute and learn about the meanings of the card and share theirs, and post replies to reading other people have posted, then they will put on their sneakers and start searching for the place they can do this. They will find, soon I bet cos it's conspicuous, a brief description of each section, and some threads were people ask for help in interpreting (in YOUR READINGS) and others where they can exhcange readings for practice (READING EXCHANGE).

IF the new member does not care about posting or sharing, he will simply sit in his armchair and rave with me and my newest deck finds in Tarot Decks, for example, or any other section he's interested in.

What I am trying to say is: if they DO have the intention to share and grow, they will seek and also find (we made it quite easy to understand how the forum works) and this by their own initiative, without waiting for any glossy bold font to strike at them...
If they don't want to post, they won't seek. And give them stickies, give them capitals or lamplights, things won't change. :)

Pollux
20-12-2002, 05:54
Originally posted by Moongold
I doubt that newcomers even know what Stickies are for a while. I've seen a few people ask for readings to then be gently advised that they have to post 25 times, for example. They clearly haven't read the stickies.
I am the moderator of the mentioned section, and as such I can very frankly tell you that most of times I don't doubt people have read the sticky, they do have, only that they are wanting to post anyway, and so they do... Sometimes I catch them, sometimes they sneak away.

Sticky threads are there, and you can't help seeing them, it's the first message you'll see in a section. Yet you can decide to ignore them and behave regardless... ;)

Moongold
20-12-2002, 06:42
Pollux, these are simply suggestions about making things easier for new people.

I'm not sure it's possible to be so definite that people have read the sticky. Some people don't even know what Sticky means initially. Maybe if they were called GUIDELINES or something really obvious? From memory, some of the stickies may be a little different.

There is a lot of visual input on the page. People have different physical and psychological levels of perception and capacity to take in information.

I agree, though, that people do have to take the plunge and post themselves! There is usually always a really positive response.

Best wishes,

Moongold