When the "Umbrae Method" isn't enough...

Alamaris

First, I'd like to point out that if this deck was a person, I'd be in court for assault right now.

A US Games Universal Waite deck is my companion deck. I enjoy reading with it more than other decks, to the point of exclusion. But the thing is, I like things to look and feel worn. I skulk bookshops for antique novels, and if there's a more beat-up version of the same book, I'll buy the tattier one. Old, worn objects have a beautiful tactile history -- dog-eared corners, frayed edges, subtle creases, stains and tears.

But the UW and its Lacquer From Hell scoffs at such foolishness. Before I even tried Umbrae's method of preparation, I accidentally mauled the deck many times: dropped cards on the floor, in dirt and mud, and chased after them when an abrupt windstorm caught us outside. I've stepped on them in bare feet and dirty shoes; I've rescued them from my cat's mouth and from under his claws. After all that abuse didn't faze it, I tried shuffling for an hour a day (minimum!), every day for an entire month, in every form of violent shuffling I could find. Finally, I used the method of pulling every card over the edge of a table, on both sides and from every angle.

The damage? When stacked, if you look closely, the deck looks slightly "poofier" than when it was purchased. But only slightly. No stains -- not even a scratch.

I'm starting to think US Games decks are completely indestructible. So tell me, if the Umbrae method (and various other forms of torture) don't seem to wear in the deck at all, what else is there? I may try buying an original RWS just to practice antiquing methods on, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the only RWS deck my local bookstore carries is made by none other than US Games, with their Armageddon-proof lamination.

Suggestions?

Baroli

HOw about if you just take it out and use it. I understand using a deck is the best way wear a finish off. Just my opinion,....

Gavriela

You keep your eye out for an old tattered copy of the UW. I had to. Having seen the new abomination, I'm certain the new laminate USGS decks and old Royal Standard typewriters (anyone else remember those things?) will be the only remnants of civilisation left standing after a full-scale nuclear war.

The crowned one

Check out Russell books on Fort. I think they may have a '78-'84 there right now. A swiss matte finished deck.

Splungeman

Find a flat untreated wooden surface and rub both sides of each card against the wood until you reach desired wear level.

Alamaris

Baroli said:
HOw about if you just take it out and use it. I understand using a deck is the best way wear a finish off. Just my opinion,....
I thought it was clear from my post that I'd been using it all that time as well -- I guess I wasn't specific enough.

Gavriela said:
Having seen the new abomination, I'm certain the new laminate USGS decks and old Royal Standard typewriters (anyone else remember those things?) will be the only remnants of civilisation left standing after a full-scale nuclear war.
Quoted for utter truth. I think my mother still has one of those typewriters hanging around...

The crowned one said:
Check out Russell books on Fort. I think they may have a '78-'84 there right now. A swiss matte finished deck.
You know, I go there at least once a month, but I've never thought to ask if they had tarot decks. *slaps forehead* I have to go into the city tomorrow anyways, so I hope its still kicking around.

Splungeman said:
Find a flat untreated wooden surface and rub both sides of each card against the wood until you reach desired wear level.
Great idea, thank you!

The crowned one

Tarot decks are in the front glass cabinet...when you walk in the door.

I work tommorow and will be in the area, what time do you think you might go? We need to finish our little trade ;)

sweet_intuition

You might try belting opera at it... with my voice... my RW has begun to look a tad bit worn (although i feel thats due to the immense terror it feels), ever since I began belting Der Hölle Rache at it!

Alamaris

About noon-ish, according to my father. But we'll be in the area most of the afternoon, so its quite up to you. :D Any preference as to where, as well? We could certainly meet in Russell's -- I'm always wearing my white fedora so it'll be pretty easy to recognize me.

EDIT:

sweet_intuition said:
You might try belting opera at it... with my voice... my RW has begun to look a tad bit worn (although i feel thats due to the immense terror it feels), ever since I began belting Der Hölle Rache at it!
Hee! :laugh:

Aoife

I know precisely what you mean, and share your love of the well-worn patina of experience...
But I'm gonna suggest that an 'exclusive companion' warrants different treatment.... that authenticity is what's deserved.
And that can only be achieved through the passage of time, as you and it age and evolve. The changes are subtle at first, more noticeable to others, but they are authentic changes.