Decider

GryffinSong

There are many factors that go into my choosing a new deck. The artwork (especially as I'm an artist myself), whether the pips have illustrations, and the overall feel of the deck. But I find that I tend to look at certain cards first. And if I don't like it/them, the deck has to be extra great to overcome that first impression.

For me it's mostly the Strength card. I fell in love with this card with my old Hanson Roberts deck. The woman was so gentle and lovely, and her relationship with that gorgeous lion seemed strong in a nonviolent way. What a revelation to me, to see this card without the fighting energy in it that's so often visible. I also have a special relationship with lion energy, as a male lion often appears to me as an inner guide.

So, is there a special "decider" for you when you look at a deck?

missy

I look at The Moon first. I also look at The Fool, The Sun, The Hermit. I am interested in the Three of Cups. I might check the Aces and the Four of Wands, among others. And yes, I do love the Strength card. I also like The Chariot.

Since you like the Strength card, have you ever seen the Strength card from the Circle of Life deck? :)

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/c-decks/circleoflifecards.gif

Really, it is the deck as a whole that speaks to me, but yes, I do tend to look at certain cards, and I always give a good look to the Majors and try to see if I think I will be able to read with their interpretations of the Minors.

Good question! :)

ETA: And I always look at the High Priestess! :D

Logiatrix

Whenever I'm checking out a new deck, I always look at the Sun and the Moon cards, but I don't have to be absolutely enamored with them to like the deck.

One possible deal-breaker is the Devil, and since I've been reading regularly with RWS decks, the 10 of Swords.
:)

ilweran

Queen of Swords as she often comes up as me when I read for myself. HP, Moon and 9 Swords are important as well.

ETA: Reading it again, I wonder what my choices say about me??

Sulis

I look at the numbering of Strength and Justice. If Justice isn't at number 8 then the deck's generally a no-no for me unless I can change it.

I also look at the suit of Swords and at The Moon, The High Priestess and The Empress.

Cactus

I look at the art and if the deck has people in it. To me, the people are what make the deck. I just can't read decks that are just a bunch of cups or wands...or designs. If people are in action and I can tell what they are doing, and the art and colors are to my liking, then the deck's for me.

raeanne

Hi all,
There isn’t any specific card that will ‘make it or break it’ for me. I do have a special attachment to the Hermit card. If I don’t like the Hermit card in a deck I usually feel a bit disappointed but it won’t keep me from buying the deck or using the deck. If I like the Hermit, it is just an added pleasure.

Nisha

I've noticed that I'm attracted to certain decks because they contain one or more cards that embody my concept of the card well. For the Fenestra deck it was the Hierophant card that 'fit' with my perception of what the card means. In the Robin Wood deck there are many cards that work for me including Death, Strength and Judgement.

~Nisha

mary ventura

I look for the Tower, then Strength, then the Fool. If I don't like these 3, it turns me off for that deck unless the other 75 cards are really wondrous.

Mary V

misskatie

The Sun and Strength are the 2 most important cards for me. My favorite Sun card so far is in the Fenestra deck, and the Gilded Tarot's Strength is absolutely beautiful.