Reading in the midst of the situation?

Disa

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Using tarot cards section or the talking tarot section, so if it needs to be moved I understand.

I noticed in a couple of threads that people mentioned it isn't always a good idea to read the cards when you are in the midst of a situation, but I find that may be a good time to do it, especially if you aren't clear as to the motivations of another person who is in the situation with you. It seems the ultimate time to gain additional insight into whatever is happening.

For example: Someone calls you on the phone and you get the feeling they are calling for a reason other than what they are stating, wouldn't that be a good time to pull the cards out and see what their motivation really is?

I was hoping people could give their opinions (and maybe some examples) as to why it is or isn't a good idea. I realize, for the most part, our readings may be clouded by emotion if they are done while a situation is occuring, but some people can work through that can't they?

Thanks,
D

berrieh

I think it's fine to read in the midst of a situation, especially for the 'why' aspect, like you're talking about. It helps you get control of the situation (though that's not always possible).

Vadella

I find that sometimes it is and sometimes its not. Like, for instance, I have been reading for my 13 yr old niece about a guy and because she is so young and fluid it keeps changing which is confusing her. I told her To stop moving already!!. lol

edit to add.... with her, the readings keep remaining present and not future.I don't think I like reading for her anymore. :laugh:

Bloudwedd

Maybe I misunderstand what you are getting at and maybe I am to pompous, but I would have to say no.

If someone called and behaved strange would I draw a card in the middle of the conversation? No! For me that would be way over the limit of being to dependent on the cards. And in my univesre the tarot are not ment to be a cruch! It is meant to be a solid companion to ask for advice in major issues. As well as I do redings for personal development not to pry into otehr peoples mind (most of the time at least). But on the other hand - as I said I might be to stiff and pompous all the same;-)

/Anna

berrieh

Well, I have to agree, I don't advise drawing Tarot cards mid-conversation.
People might find that odd. ;)

Hooked on TdM

I normally wouldn't whip out my cards in that sense. However there can be exceptions I would think. Last night was a prime example. My girlfriend was visiting and we had a lovely evening of talking about Tarot and her paganism and whatnot. Well after a specific part in our conversation she got a phone call from someone from last year. I did a quick three card spread. I just had to. It was all way to bizarre. The card reading even more so, yet so accurate. The circumstances were what prompted me to do so.. normally I only do readings in a calm, relaxed and methodical manner. I don't use them lightly.

So for the average conversation, no, exceptional circumstances maybe.

Hooked

Sophie

I think it's useful to read in the middle of a situation, in the wider sense - as Berrieh wrote (I cracked up!), doing it mid-conversation might be a bit off...;)

Just make sure you're centred and calm when you read. In the middle of a situation, it's easy to lose perspective and become jumpy: so after you've put down the phone - before you pick up those cards, or as you are shuffling, get into your meditative mind, and ask for guidance: not my fears, not my wishful thinking, just the truth.

And then, in my experience, you usually draw cards like the High Priestess, 7 of Pentacles or the 2 of Wands at that point. Trust the inner voice - and then wait and see :D

(in other words, the cards hand it straight back to you!)

re-pete-a

You dont need cards in the midst of a situation, you already have your feelings.Thats the same without cards.You need to trust yourself more.
________
Fix ps3

berrieh

You dont need cards in the midst of a situation, you already have your feelings.Thats the same without cards.You need to trust yourself more.

This view only applies if one believes that the cards reflect inner truth or contact a higher self. That's one view of Tarot but not the only one.

If you believe they're a way to interact with the randomness of the divine, or something else entirely, there may be more than your 'own feelings' to gain from the cards.

Personally, I go to Tarot for a perspective removed from my own feelings and insights in the world. Not because I don't trust myself, but because I see the trees, and the Tarot sees the forest. Both are valid, of course, but they are very different things.

This got me thinking...

I was hoping people could give their opinions (and maybe some examples) as to why it is or isn't a good idea. I realize, for the most part, our readings may be clouded by emotion if they are done while a situation is occuring, but some people can work through that can't they?

Disa, this got me thinking... I can read pretty well for myself, especially in really short term situations (days, weeks) and in specific situations, because I'm pretty good at removing my own emotional perspective from the reading at hand. I'm not a particular intuitive, or 'glorp' as we once called it here, reader... I tend to read somewhat logically, I tend to think.

I think it would be a different thing to ask this to a really intuitive reader and a really structured reader.

What re-pete-a points out would be very true for a really intuitive reader... if your intuition is clouded without the cards, that wouldn't change with the cards, etc.

re-pete-a

BERRIEH, Thanks for the reminder, your right about your views and tarot. DISA did give an example that she MIGHT feel another motive during the phone call,which is the reason for the reminder that she already had an answer for THAT moment.
________
Vaporite vaporizer parts