Rws

SpiritOfTheDogz

I have noticed in the two months or so that I have been here that the RWS gets reffered to alot and I get the impression it is also one of the easiest decks to learn, however I personally don't like any of the versions (Radients not too bad but not one I'd put myself out to buy). Do I miss out not having a RWS deck, would learning other decks fit in to place better had I started with one or if I bought one now would it help me learn how to read more intuitively rather than relying on the LWB?

Paul

firecatpickles

If you are starting new and the RWS does not appeal to you, why not start off right away in another tradition such as the Thoth or the Tarot de Marseilles versions?

There are many versions of these types of decks to choose from; surely you will find one that appeals to you.

In my opinion, you will not "miss out" by not studying the RWS system of tarot reading. There are many other systems available for study, including what you have mentioned, the "intuitive" method.

SpiritOfTheDogz

I know a lot of people like the thoth and mareille but they don't look to good to try and intuitivly, don't the minors in these have mainly pips rather than images? just seeing five cups or seven swords on a picture doesn't seem like to go on. I'm already using a deck that is giving me far more than they could, the Cosmic Tarot, out of the eight decks I have so far that one is giving me so much more than any others but wondered how much more I would gain if I had a RWS based deck as they are so often talked about?

Paul

firecatpickles

I think there are enough similarities between the systems to broaden your horizons with.

You may look at each card system as vocabulary that infuses your readings with more insights.

A composer of music studies all the masters, not just the style period he is interested in working in.

Mellifluous

I don't think you're missing anything. Most of the decks out there are based on it anyway, so if another has more appealing artwork, stick with that. :)

Happy tarot-ing!

Abrac

A lot of people (including myself) first got into Tarot back when the RWS was one of the only decks available. I guess it will always hold a special place for most of us. If you're not drawn to it I wouldn't worry about it; you don't have to like it. But I wouldn't write it off either. There have been plenty of decks which didn't appeal to me at all for a long time that I eventually learned to appreciate. In my opinion, the deck that will help you learn to read better is one you like and use frequently.

Hooked on TdM

The RWS deck was the first one I'd ever seen. I have never used it myself. To me it speaks of terrible sadness and dark times. This is due to when I seen them and what was taking place in our house. I don't consider myself to be missing out in any way. It's simply not the deck for me. My son has that deck and it works well with him.

Find what works for you. Each of us is different.

Hooked

Le Fanu

I kind of disagree.... Well not entirely...... Sort of... :)

I have a sense that if you´re really keen on tarot and really serious about studying it, I see that a wide familiarity of varying degrees can only enrich your understanding. I alternate constantly between learning/ studying/ enthusing about / reading with / chopping and changing the RWS, Marseilles and Thoth.

But when I just want a good old spontaneous reading, something that reads effortlessly, I go for the RWS (either Universal Waite of V. Romantic or BG or Klimt).

But Im conscious at all times that these systems feed off and derivate from each other anyway, so once you start exploring the universe of one, it helps you with the others.

The Thoth challenges me and sometimes I get exasperated and give up and go back to my RWS-based ones. Then The urge comes creeping back and a couple of months later, Im back with my nose in the Thoth. And this chopping and changes is constantly throwing light on everything else.

I kind of see a knowledge of each system as a pretty sound basis for any student... In my my own mind, I see the Marseilles as the equivalent of Shakespeare, The Thoth as James Joyce (impenetrable at times, but ground-breaking and challenging) and the RWS as .... I don´t know. I haven´t thought of an analogy yet... With these under your belt you can read just about anything...

But as others will rightly say; if studying becomes a chore or something you feel you HAVE to do, it isn´t a pleasure... and ain´t worth it...

By the way, I have a Radiant RWS up for trade if you don´t want to buy it... :)

SpiritOfTheDogz

Le Fanu said:
But as others will rightly say; if studying becomes a chore or something you feel you HAVE to do, it isn´t a pleasure... and ain´t worth it...

It all depends on the amount of studying...there seems to be a different "set of rules" for each deck as well as all the oracle decks, to even to begin to learn the small collection I have would take for ever. OK so if I stick to the ones I like then it would still be an awful lot to remember...how much information can the brain hold (not much in the case of mine)

Le Fanu said:
By the way, I have a Radiant RWS up for trade if you don´t want to buy it... :)

Don't have anything to trade really, there is only one deck that I REALLY don't like and that is the Tarot Art Nouveau if that's of any use to you?

Paul

moderndayruth

I love RWS, it was my only deck for a long time and still is my main deck, yet i didn't like the artwork in the beggining as well.
I think it's aesy to learn only to some degree, it does take a lot of studyng to connect to it deeply. Flame me if you wish, but i don't think it's easy because the pips are illustrated, for me it's easier to remember unillustrated pips in connection with Majors and numerologically, than to understand all the multilayerdness and complexity of Pixie's artwork.
In a way, RWS studies to me are similar to my studies of English, indeed with comparison with French grammar - it's 'easy', to the degree where one can use 200 words and more-less successfully mumbe the essential stuff... Try to have a decent, articulated conversation in English IF it's not your first language (even if it is in many cases lol)... and it becomes a challenge ;)

ETA: Tarot Art Nouveau is on my wishlist, but it's far more convenient for me to get it from Alida store :(