Mercury Retrograde in Gemini - May 26-June 19

GoddessArtemis

It's here again, folks! Merc retro is back, and it's already creating a lot of confusion and havoc in my life. Nothing too huge (yet)...but definitely little irritating stuff that you know is all about miscommunication and due to the retro.

Here's a little blurb for this retrograde period:

At 15:49 UT (Universal Time), on Monday, May 26th, 2008, Mercury the cosmic trickster turns retrograde in Gemini, the sign of the Twins, sending communications, travel, appointments, mail and the www into a general snarlup! This awkward period begins a few days before the actual turning point (as Mercury slows) and lasts for three weeks or so, until June 19, when the Winged Messenger reaches his direct station. At this time he halts and begins his return to direct motion through the zodiac.

Everything finally straightens out on July 4, as he passes the point where he first turned retrograde. Mercury turns retrograde three times a year, as a rule, but the effects of each period differ, according to the sign in which it happens (see box for Retrograde Periods in 2008).

A planet is described as retrograde when it appears to be moving backwards through the zodiac. According to modern science, this traditional concept arises in the illusory planetary motion created by the orbital rotation of the earth with relation to other planets in our solar system. Planets are never actually retrograde or stationary, they just seem that way due to this cosmic shadow-play.

Retrograde periods, although often problematic for us earthlings, are not particularly uncommon. Each planet retrogrades, except the Sun and Moon. Although a powerful astrological influence, Mercury is quite a small planet that travels at a relatively fast speed through the zodiac. Despite being the closest planet in our solar system to the Sun, it is not always in the same sign as the Sun (for example, although this time Mercury turns retrograde in Gemini, the same sign as the Sun, last year Mercury turned in Scorpio while the Sun was in Libra, but headed back into Libra just as the Sun strode into Scorpio).

What does Mercury affect?

In general, Mercury rules thinking and perception, processing and disseminating information and all means of communication, commerce, education and transportation. By extension, Mercury rules people who work in these areas, especially people who work with their minds or their wits: writers and orators, commentators and critics, gossips and spin doctors, teachers, travellers, tricksters and thieves.

Mercury retrograde gives rise to personal misunderstandings; flawed, disrupted, or delayed communications, negotiations and trade; glitches and breakdowns with phones, computers, cars, buses, and trains. And all of these problems usually arise because some crucial piece of information, or component, has gone astray or awry.

It is therefore not wise to make important decisions while Mercury is retrograde, since it is very likely that these decisions will be clouded by misinformation, poor communication and careless thinking. Mercury is all about mental clarity and the power of the mind, so when Mercury is retrograde these intellectual characteristics tend to be less acute than usual, as the critical faculties are dimmed. Make sure you pay attention to the small print!
Go to Top The Key Issue

The key issue here is one of focus. Mercury's retro phase tends to bring unforeseen changes and blockages, but the aggravation and frustration that many of us experience during these periods is often due to our own inability to roll with the punches. Is this due to our ego-fixation? Mercury sets out to restructure our thinking processes and for many of us this is painful and frustrating. Moreover, these experiences reveal flaws in our internal organisation as well as our external planning, which can make us feel foolish and inadequate.

Mercury retrograde, like any cosmic aspect, affects people differently, depending on where it hits their personal charts. Some people actually prosper under a retro Mercury, especially if Mercury is retrograde but otherwise well-aspected in their birth charts. It is also a time when matters begun under a previous retro period will come to fruition, or completion as the case may be. Firm decisions that have been previously made when Mercury is travelling normally through the zodiac may be implemented or finalised while Mercury is retrograde without too much worry, for experience shows that this can be done without undue problems arising.

Mercury Retrograde in Gemini
Gemini, the Twins

When Mercury is retrograde, everyone's thinking is more introspective and we tend to think about issues and concerns which relate to the sign involved. With Mercury retrograde in his own sign Gemini, people with this sign prominent in their charts will be especially prone to such introspection. Gemini is a Mutable Sign, so the other Mutable Signs, Pisces, Virgo and Sagittarius will also receive a touch of the lash!

Neptune also turns retrograde on this day, so coming weeks will present a tricky time – even though matters will probably work out well in the end. Bear in mid that, although luck could well be on your side, there are no guarantees that you will make proper use of the information, ideas, or activities you experience. Reality will probably not manage to intrude, as inspiration and instincts rule the day and there is little choice but to reconsider our personal views and opinions about life. We receive, however, an opportunity to gain insight into our own ego. Your imagination and intuition can prove useful, by putting you in the right place at the right time, but be sure to note all appointments in your diary and refer to it often. Seredipity may help out, perhaps by enabling you to meet someone at a bus stop when you should have been somewhere else, but the wise do not rely on it...

Mercury retro in Gemini tempts us to leap into something new and untried, or to escape to some other place. Although Gemini is the sign of the mind and of communication, the retro period can see us swamped in a mass of detail, especially if matters that should have been completed in the past return to haunt us. An unduly fluid state of mind can lead to indecision and confusion, mainly through a breakdown in communication, or related equipment such as phones, computers, fax machines and the like. Judgements are unclear and fickle, and it's hard to know good value when you see it. Frustration arises in connection with information and ideas that come your way. Resist the temptation to take offence at criticism, especially if it wasn't meant to be taken personally.

Preconceived opinions can damage business transactions and consultations of all kinds, especially with salespeople, lawyers and advisors. Be very sure to check the fine print and do not sign important contracts unless you are absolutely clear on what they entail. In particular, matters connected with literature, media, sales, draftsmanship, linguistics and music are inclined to be blocked in some way. Writers and salespeople can experience significant blocks to their energies. It's a good time to chill out. This position can indicate proneness to repetitive stress injury to the hands and arms, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. and we would all would benefit from regular massage.

All areas of communication are affected, especially in matters related to the neighbourhood, siblings, local travel, early education, sibling relationships and communications equipment in general. This period brings travel snafus and missed appointments of all kinds. Documents can go astray. Be sure to carry a diary and refer to it often.

From here

Hang tight, everyone.

I have only one outer planet in Gemini (Saturn), but outside of that...I know I've been irritated as all sin since the weekend....so I'm trying to watch myself and how I speak to others around this time.

Only 3 more weeks to go! :laugh:

GA

Sophie

I'm trying to send an e-card to someone - and BOTH my regular e-card providers are out of action!

And so then I tried two others - and they are out of action too!

How's that for a Mercury rx in Gemini? ;)

GoddessArtemis

Fudugazi said:
I'm trying to send an e-card to someone - and BOTH my regular e-card providers are out of action!

And so then I tried to others - and they are out of action too!

How's that for a Mercury rx in Gemini? ;)
It's typical, right? :) You should see the mess that MySpace has been for the past few days. Friends disappearing and reappearing on the friends' list. Things going nuts. My phone acting up...my computer, too. And elevators, as well. Good times. :D

If I wasn't so irritated, I might just laugh.

GA

Wonderwoman

Definitely Technology

Yes, The Retro is here indeed. I've had some issues with technology not being up to par. :(

Sophie

I'm finding it all rather funny. Also - there are LOTS of misunderstandings between people all around, but thankfully, not emotional ones - more like strange, funny, odd misinterpretations.

I'm going through my usual Mercury Rx introspection - no bad thing, except that this time I am misunderstanding myself :D

strangebrew

I couldnt get my dvd player to work and it ended up in my ex and i having a row lol :)

My drains got blocked up and i lost use of both my toilets

My myspace has gone to the dogs....certain facilities that worked there dont now

Cant wait for it to be OVER!!!

:)

strangebrew

Interesting

I just heard Jonathan Cainer say that merc ret is a good chance to take things which weren't right and now put them right...even though this may take a good deal of effort, it will be worth it!!

Encouraging!!

:)

GoddessArtemis

This retrograde has been a real *^&@. I have never in my LIFE had as many outbursts in a matter of a week as I have since the retro happened. Either I'm seriously irritated and ready to tear a new hole in someone, or vice versa. Not to the say the irritation is unfounded....but I'm expressing a lot more anger now than I've ever done in my entire life. Quite overwhelming.

Of course, I wonder if that's partially to do with my Moon in Sag opposing the current Merc. retro. I have no Gemini anywhere in my chart, either, except in Saturn.

Regardless, this is one NASTY retro for me. Can't wait till it goes away and my world returns to "normal".

GA :rolleyes:

HellzBelle

Young girls at work not understanding what exactly they have been asked to do concerning their duties, resulting in me having to leave another note, the third, well actually at a page and a half more like a short story, for them in our communication book.

I had some new furniture due to be delivered tomorrow and yesterday received notification to say they have been damaged in transit in their container and I can now expect delivery on...wait for it...the 19th June!!!

My son's car got stolen earlier this week while parked at the local train station
and he's now trying to find paperwork required to be lodged with his insurance claim.

Some financial matters I'm trying to organise with transfer of funds from one account to another seem to be delayed somewhere in the ethers.

And this lasts till the 19th June you say?
Don't know that my patience and perseverance will!! :mad:

Embla

Please let this mercury retrograde be smooth on us all from now on. I have had friends travel abroad and their cards don´t work in the ATM so they are stranded without cash in a foreign land. I took out money from the ATM yesterday and three minutes later it was all gone, I must have just lost it or someone stole it from me without taking the card and the wallet.

Music equipment don´t work, camera broken and cell phone broken.

Another friend had a terrible fight over her salary with her boss. Heart-breaking misunderstandings and relationships failing everywhere. I feel like even my own relationship with myself is failing.

And my favorite vintage dress was stolen and I am just praying I will get it back somehow... Sad sad sad!