PDA

View Full Version : Possible to have a sub-forum for the Chat games?

Annabelle
31-05-2008, 12:34
Recently the number of "game" threads in the Chat forum seems to be growing and growing . . . to the point that I'm considering filtering out the entire Chat forum from view, even though I'm a paid subscriber and enjoy some of the Chat topics.

I'd like to suggest that a sub-forum for game threads in Chat be considered, so that subscribers such as myself who have no interest in them can easily filter that sub-forum out.

Thanks for listening . . .

Alta
31-05-2008, 12:42
I also find the sheer number of Chat games to overwhelm the Chat forum.

FaireMaiden
31-05-2008, 12:53
Yeah... I've never understood why there are games in the 'Chat Forum'... After all, there is the 'Tarot Games & Fun Forum already designated for games... So why aren't they all relegated there?... It sure would make the 'Chat Forum' a lot more enjoyable...

Fire Cat
31-05-2008, 12:58
The Chat Games are not Tarot related and are for Subscribers only.

The Tarot Games & Fun is accessible by all Members, Subscribers or not.

ETA: I agree that the Chat Games can be overwhelming.

Astraea
31-05-2008, 22:45
Annabelle, I think that's a great idea!

MCsea
01-06-2008, 10:38
Recently the number of "game" threads in the Chat forum seems to be growing and growing . . . to the point that I'm considering filtering out the entire Chat forum from view, even though I'm a paid subscriber and enjoy some of the Chat topics.

I'd like to suggest that a sub-forum for game threads in Chat be considered, so that subscribers such as myself who have no interest in them can easily filter that sub-forum out.

Thanks for listening . . .

thats a good and nice idea :)

thanks for speaking up

MARINA

AJ
02-06-2008, 08:53
I shut the whole fun and games forum off for awhile, there are just so many game threads, but then I missed seeing group exchanges and stuff.

They must be super popular with some, but I don't see much point of them on a divination forum so a sub-forum we could shut off would be great, everyone would be happy.

edited to add this thread, which was closed, but echos the suggestion
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=99748

AJ
07-06-2008, 01:57
Just curious if any progress has been charted for this request?
Today when I came on there were 115 threads with new posts since I last visited yesterday.
Not counting game threads that were actually tarot related, or the What Movie, What book, What deck are you expecting, thread killer threads, but specific games, there were 21 game threads. That is very nearly 1/4 of the threads that are not even close to tarot related.

It would be loverly if those of us not interested could disappear them :)
Thanks.

gregory
07-06-2008, 02:13
I agree - and I play the damn things :|

It is nice to have things arranged neatly where you can find what you want and not find what you don't want..... !

firemaiden
07-06-2008, 02:23
I also am surprised to see the games back on the new threads list -- didn't those used to all have their own forum? I used to be able to filter them out.

It makes the "new threads" tool unusable, if for example someone has gone through and put one post on each of 50 games... that means all the first 50 threads are games with one new post, a lot to sift through before coming to chat material.

gregory
07-06-2008, 02:32
As someone has said - TAROT games have their own area; these are the subscriber only games;the daft ones.... which are not tarot related.... and which are breeding like rabbits !

Venus Moon
07-06-2008, 12:48
I think it's a very good idea, having games in its own sub-forum makes things tidy.

But am I missing something? You use the new posts option and scroll down until you get to something your interested in, right? Is it that big a deal to scroll for 3 seconds? There's nothing to sift through, you just scroll past any threads that hold no interest.

AJ
07-06-2008, 13:56
Scrolling has nothing to do with it, although we have a lot of members on dial up and those add to the time it takes the pages to load. Since they take up such a big section of the threads the ability to turn them off would be oh so courteous to our dial up friends. If they want to play games they can leave them on..

Nothing to do with divination is most of my complaint. If 1/4 of the new threads were all about recipes, or how to tune up a car, or how many trees are in your yard it would be the same thing. Nada, zip, zero to do with divination.

Venus Moon
07-06-2008, 14:43
Scrolling has nothing to do with it, although we have a lot of members on dial up and those add to the time it takes the pages to load. Since they take up such a big section of the threads the ability to turn them off would be oh so courteous to our dial up friends. If they want to play games they can leave them on..

Nothing to do with divination is most of my complaint. If 1/4 of the new threads were all about recipes, or how to tune up a car, or how many trees are in your yard it would be the same thing. Nada, zip, zero to do with divination.

I tend to forget there are some who still use dial-up LOL! You have a point there. All the threads or forums you get with a paid subscription have nothing to do with divination anyways, if that's all one is interested in, I'd skip getting a subscription.

But just putting up a games and fun section seems easy enough, perhaps though since it hasn't been done they have reasons for not wanting it like that? No idea why not really!

gregory
07-06-2008, 23:12
Those of us on dialup aren't all on it from choice...... :mad: (and working on it; there is ONE possibility left.....)

But I don't actually have the issue with the page loading - that's quick enough; it's the number of new posts pages I have to scroll through - even though I am set to huge numbers per page ! That said - I usually start with my subscribed threads anyway !

Venus Moon
08-06-2008, 16:06
Those of us on dialup aren't all on it from choice...... :mad: (and working on it; there is ONE possibility left.....)

But I don't actually have the issue with the page loading - that's quick enough; it's the number of new posts pages I have to scroll through - even though I am set to huge numbers per page ! That said - I usually start with my subscribed threads anyway !

Oh I never thought most with dial-up would want it by choice, just that it's all that is available in your area, it must suck!

Debra
08-06-2008, 16:25
I am not a subscriber at the moment so I don't see subscriber games...but the single card games are overwhelming to sort through. Those "alphabetical keywords" are tough to get past. Is there some way for me to ignore an entire forum or subforum? i can't seem to find a control to let me do that!

gregory
08-06-2008, 21:22
Oh I never thought most with dial-up would want it by choice, just that it's all that is available in your area, it must suck!
BIG TIME !!!!

You can't avoid just one set of games, no - someone once asked about that. But I am TOLD you can ignore a subforum.... Just a sec (just as sociopolitical is set to "ignore" by default...)

YES - I think I have it !

Go to the main forum page; go into filter edit mode. THEN click on tarot games and fun, and "single card games comes up and you can check that !!!!

Thanks for making me interested enough to get around to that ! IT WORKS !

Fire Cat
08-06-2008, 21:36
Is there some way for me to ignore an entire forum or subforum? i can't seem to find a control to let me do that!

Go to "Aeclectic Tarot Forum" at the top "Forum Filter Edit Mode" at the bottom (just above the list of names) & start checking boxes. "Exit Aeclectic Tarot Forum".

gregory
08-06-2008, 21:39
KK - I did just say that - but you missed one VITAL step.

SAVE !!!!!

Fire Cat
08-06-2008, 22:13
Whoops.

kwaw
08-06-2008, 23:36
So I would like to filter out all those alphabetic keyword listing when I click 'new posts':

Can't see 'forum filter edit' on top of main page ~

Whereabouts is it, or is it only available to subscribers?

Fire Cat
08-06-2008, 23:40
Forum Filter is at the bottom above the list of names. Everyone has this capability.

kwaw
08-06-2008, 23:44
Forum Filter is at the bottom above the list of names. Everyone has this capability.

Above the list of names of people online?

I can't see it....

Tried searching for 'filter' in "find in top window menu" and that doesn't find it either?

Aulruna
09-06-2008, 00:06
See attached screenshot.

kwaw
09-06-2008, 00:07
Above the list of names of people online?

I can't see it....

Tried searching for 'filter' in "find in top window menu" and that doesn't find it either?

Ah... I see a Forum Filter is listed as one of the benefits of subsription.

Guess I carryon scrolling...

gregory
09-06-2008, 00:11
FIRST you have to go to the main FORUM page (top right, between cards and learn.)

THEN you will see, at the bottom, below "Non Tarot", a link to forum filter edit mode.

ACTUALLY - this is a direct link, I think..... try it ! (http://www.tarotforum.net/index.php?e=1)

When you're done checking the ones you want out (and you need to click on a forum to get to its subforums - yes I know that should be subfora....)

DO CLICK ON THE SAVE YOUR LIST OF FILTERED FORUMS button or nothing will change.

And I'm pretty sure it isn't a subscriber benefit.... try and see....

kwaw
09-06-2008, 00:17
Its listed as a subscriber benefit:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/forum/subscribe_details.shtml

As a non-subscriber all I get on that line (as per the screenshot by Alruna post 25 above) is:

Mark Forums Read and View Forum Moderators

Forum Filter does not appear.

Kwaw

gregory
09-06-2008, 00:31
Crumbs, so it is. I am amazed.

Solandia
09-06-2008, 13:15
Hi Annabelle, thanks for the suggestion. After talking to the Chat moderators, I've set up a sub-forum for all the games, and the game threads are in the process of being moved in.

~ Solandia

FaireMaiden
09-06-2008, 13:33
Hi Annabelle, thanks for the suggestion. After talking to the Chat moderators, I've set up a sub-forum for all the games, and the game threads are in the process of being moved in.

~ Solandia
FABULOUS!!! I bow to THE MASTER, *lol* Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Solandia, :thumbsup: :cool5: :thumbsup:

Annabelle
09-06-2008, 13:35

~ Solandia

Thank you so much!!! :D :D :D

firemaiden
09-06-2008, 15:09
This is wonderful, thank you, Solandia!

fina
09-06-2008, 15:17
Other's may not agree with this, but: could the games be excluded from the "New Posts" search? Personally I find it irritating when I'm checking New Posts that I have to shift through 80 different game threads. But this is just me and my 2 cents.

Debra
09-06-2008, 15:19
Me too. I'm with fina.

Venus Moon
09-06-2008, 15:41
Other's may not agree with this, but: could the games be excluded from the "New Posts" search? Personally I find it irritating when I'm checking New Posts that I have to shift through 80 different game threads. But this is just me and my 2 cents.

Why the need for that? Just filter out the game forums you don't want to see, then they won't show up at all, new search or not.

Directions are above.

I play many of the games, I like to see them in new posts. I still don't understand all the major difficulty in scrolling past games, it takes seconds. I don't read the exchange forums much, but I just scroll past them, and there are tons of those.

firemaiden
09-06-2008, 15:43
Even though I have filtered games out of my searches using the forum filter mode -- the games are still showing up on my searches - the single card games are dominating everything now. It seems I can filter out a forum but not a sub-forum?

Methinks the filtering system is not working properly.

GeorgiePorgie
09-06-2008, 21:19
Firemaiden, you CAN filter out a sub forum, Gregory explains how in post 18 or thereabouts of this thread.

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45

If you click that ^ link, can you see the forum filter mode (subscribers feature only, mind you) for the Chat area?

And this link (if I did it right) takes you to Tarot Games? http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=62 Can you see the forum filter information?

Check the boxes next to forums you wish to hide, and uncheck those to appear normally.
Note: Hiding a forum leads to its exclusion from the main page, forum list, new posts and the search facility.

Remember to click save...

firemaiden
09-06-2008, 21:21
oops sorry -- yes, I found Gregory's instructions on page 2. That worked. I had to actually click on the tarot games forum to get to the subforum to check it for filtering, same with the chat games. Now I have a clean search.

Fire Cat
09-06-2008, 22:50
Thank you for doing this. The Chat Games were truly overwhelming for those of us who don't care for them. Those that do enjoy them, of course, can just leave be alone as it won't be automatically filtered out for them.

gregory
10-06-2008, 08:00
Thanks, Solandia :love:

AJ
10-06-2008, 08:14
Thank you Solandia, much appreciated.