for those who own many decks

bluecaffeine

How do you find out, which deck to use for the day? Do you throw a coin i.e.- or dou you find out intuitively? If you have clients: Do you ask your clients which deck they want to use or do you find out intuitively?

berrieh

If I'm performing a paid reading in person, and I've brought multiple decks with me, I let them pick. (I exclude any decks I don't want to read with---but then, why would I bring those along? ;) )

Sometimes for free readings on AT, I'll let people pick. (People normally don't pick unless required I've noticed. Funny!)

I have to re-order and shuffle decks between readings, so I usually have several decks near.

Mostly, I just pick based on the deck's past accuracy with certain subjects and what I feel like looking at, at the moment. Unless I'm attempting to attune myself to or learn a particular deck.

The crowned one

Most of the decks I own I use for studying rather then reading. I read with perhaps four decks and study with about 20.

GryffinSong

I usually feel drawn to a particular deck. But if I'm in doubt, I ask them. I shuffle and draw a card from each of the decks I'm considering, perhaps asking "who would like to help me today?" It's usually VERY obvious at that point. ;)

Umbrae

Of all the decks I own, I only use a handfull for reading. And an even smaller handfull for professional reading.

And the particular ones I use, are the ones I happen to feel like using on a particular day.

(And I never let a sitter choose which deck...)

Alamaris

Like others, I only have a couple I actually read with. My collection is smaller, now that I've sold quite a few, but despite all the changing themes in the decks, you can almost always find me using a Rider Waite Smith (original, or clone like the Halloween) or something like the Alchemical or Thoth. I love looking at and playing with theme decks, but they just don't seem to read well. Perhaps I don't feel they're "serious" enough, or something like that.

If I read for clients, I'd probably offer a small selection of the decks I was comfortable reading with. No more than 4 or 5.

Nightgarden

When I read for others I use my Thoth exclusively.
It was my first deck and a fast friend for 16 years.

In addition for myself I often use the "Archeon",the "Bohemian Gothic Silver" and the "Tarot of Prague". The latter only at a.m. and with Vivaldis "Four seasons" as companion.

Splungeman

I suppose it's similar to selecting the kind of shoes you want to wear on a given day. Going to be outside a lot? Social function? More importantly...what's the most comfortable?

Annabelle

bluecaffeine said:
How do you find out, which deck to use for the day? Do you throw a coin i.e.- or dou you find out intuitively?
I don't use tarot every day. Sometimes I go a week or two without doing a reading of any sort. There's really only a small handful of decks I use for readings, so choosing a deck (when the need arises) is easy. I just reach for the one that seems the best at that moment.

bluecaffeine said:
If you have clients: Do you ask your clients which deck they want to use or do you find out intuitively?
I don't have paid clients, but when I read for friends and others I almost always use a RWS or some close variant (Universal Waite, Fenestra, New Palladini, etc.) and I never offer a choice.

celticnoodle

bluecaffeine said:
How do you find out, which deck to use for the day? Do you throw a coin i.e.- or dou you find out intuitively?
I go by how I feel each day--or, which deck is closest to me when I have the desire to read. (lazy, yeah, I know :laugh:)

bluecaffeine said:
If you have clients: Do you ask your clients which deck they want to use or do you find out intuitively?
depends. some of my clients are first time to a tarot reading or first time coming to me. So, I will use what I feel is 'calling' to me--or already have one that I feel I am reading well with. Generally this tends to be my Golden Tarot deck. However, if it is a repeat customer, I may allow them to choose between the decks.